Teal Sighting

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Teal Sighting

Postby tknight006 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:17 pm

Anybody see any teal yet?

I saw two the other day,it got me pretty pumped.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Re: Teal Sighting

Postby chris_k » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:14 pm

And you feel like sharing this on an online public forum because??

Seriously, cyber-scouters lurk hard this time of the year. If you see them, keep it on the DL. I know your intentions are not bad ... but this could spark good info to leak out ...
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby QuacknStrut » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:56 pm

What is a teal?
QuacknStrut
hunter

Postby marshnole11 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Are you serious?? :lol: :no:

Shhhhhh. dont tell anyone, I saw 5 wood ducks and a gallinule in tallahassee in a lake with cypress trees
marshnole11
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:01 pm

Flocks of Harlequins around Anclote Key..
troutman561
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:31 pm

chris_k wrote:And you feel like sharing this on an online public forum because??

Seriously, cyber-scouters lurk hard this time of the year. If you see them, keep it on the DL. I know your intentions are not bad ... but this could spark good info to leak out ...

Why would I hide the fact that I saw ducks? This is a forum that focuses on chatting about duck hunting.... simply stating that I saw a few birds is far from a breach in National Security. I understand your concern for cyber-scouters, but you gotta relax a little bit..

Also, the birds were in water..
tknight006
hunter

Postby vpadfsu » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:06 pm

I check duck migration map every now and then. Its hard to tell if people reporting locals or new. Some def on the move south but not too much activity on reports. Read some reports in NC and SC of teal showing up. We got 30 days for them to catch some south winds. im not even going to scout. The way i look at it...im be hunting sept 22 regardless so it dont matter. Hopefully they show up by sept 22 and if not, woodducks...

picture in may tubing in north georgia...locals. I saw geese, teal...
mallards GA.jpg
VPAD
jameis winston = championship
vpadfsu
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:37 am

vpadfsu wrote:I check duck migration map every now and then. Its hard to tell if people reporting locals or new. Some def on the move south but not too much activity on reports. Read some reports in NC and SC of teal showing up. We got 30 days for them to catch some south winds. im not even going to scout. The way i look at it...im be hunting sept 22 regardless so it dont matter. Hopefully they show up by sept 22 and if not, woodducks...

mallards GA.jpg

Sounds like a solid plan. If you're not worried about scouting to find ducks, do everyone else a favor and at least familiarize yourself with wherever you plan to hunt BEFORE the early morning hours of Sept. 22. Anywhere around here that's holding water is going to be packed, and the last thing anyone wants...you included...is to be driving around aimlessly in the dark 30 minutes before LST because the lake looks completely different than what they're used to.

I'm not accusing you of doing it, but you wouldn't be the first.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:54 am

DUCK-DAWG wrote:Sounds like a solid plan. If you're not worried about scouting to find ducks, do everyone else a favor and at least familiarize yourself with wherever you plan to hunt BEFORE the early morning hours of Sept. 22. Anywhere around here that's holding water is going to be packed, and the last thing anyone wants...you included...is to be driving around aimlessly in the dark 30 minutes before LST because the lake looks completely different than what they're used to.

Agreed....

You can stress that over and over, but its always going to happen...

I recommend navigating your location in the dark as well. I learned this lesson last year in the STA's, it looks much different in the pitch black than it did on the day we went to scout..... Fortunately we were the first ones in line, so we had plenty of time to get to our spot, but it was a pain in the arse...
tknight006
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:43 pm

DUCK-DAWG wrote:
vpadfsu wrote:I check duck migration map every now and then. Its hard to tell if people reporting locals or new. Some def on the move south but not too much activity on reports. Read some reports in NC and SC of teal showing up. We got 30 days for them to catch some south winds. im not even going to scout. The way i look at it...im be hunting sept 22 regardless so it dont matter. Hopefully they show up by sept 22 and if not, woodducks...

mallards GA.jpg

Sounds like a solid plan. If you're not worried about scouting to find ducks, do everyone else a favor and at least familiarize yourself with wherever you plan to hunt BEFORE the early morning hours of Sept. 22. Anywhere around here that's holding water is going to be packed, and the last thing anyone wants...you included...is to be driving around aimlessly in the dark 30 minutes before LST because the lake looks completely different than what they're used to.

. Agreed man agreed!!
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby vpadfsu » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:39 pm

DUCK-DAWG wrote:

mallards GA.jpg

Very true...i remember first couple times last year going same spot...two my buddies saying that doesnt look like it...so we motor further down...then realize that was the spot. Something i started using last year to stop the arguing and help navigate, hand held GPS with all my spots/tracks marked. Also night before helps you plan out wind direction and what spots are facing down wind. Anyways you did remind me I do need go find some palm leaves before sept 22.
VPAD
vpadfsu
hunter

Postby duckluck » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:48 pm

Just wanted to bring this urgent top secret informatiion, please only level 3 clearence are allowed....

I saw......

BBWD around the area.
figure that one out. :eek:
First shot I usually miss, the second I normally hit in the same spot, the third more or less is like a "screw that coot!"

Don't write a check with your mouth, That your ass can't cash!
duckluck
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:19 pm

A few might be comin down, but ive always heard most head down as soon as they feel that first wave of cooler weather
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby marshnole11 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:36 am

Teal and other ducks start migrating early because of the changing seasons (photoperiod) more than the tempature changes.
marshnole11
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:23 am

The BBWD's have been in the area for a few years now. I know of a few that have been killed around here during the first week of the season, but most have headed further south by the time the regular season rolls around.

vpadfsu, I agree...a handheld GPS can be a lifesaver, especially if a heavy fog rolls in. BUT...I still wouldn't rely on one if you haven't been out and really familiarized yourself with wherever it is you plan to hunt. If you're accustomed to hunting a certain spot when it's X ft. deep, a drop in just a few inches can completely change the layout of that area. Trails and routes you used to take may no longer be accessible or even have water in them, and any kind of hazards that you used to drive right over completely unaware of will be positioned to bite you in the ass if you haven't found them ahead of time. This summer alone I've found downed trees and stumps I never knew existed, cinder blocks, rebar and metal pipes, old plate weights...you name it. Bottom line, at least have an idea of where you intend to hunt (with several backup plans) and know how to get where you're going. I guarantee you there will be plenty of guys that haven't been on any of the local lakes since last season, and with the limited number of accessible ramps and trails still holding water they will either A) block the landing trying to launch their boat, or B) run aground and block whatever trail they're trying to run.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby vpadfsu » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:06 am

DUCK-DAWG wrote:This summer alone I've found downed trees and stumps .

Might not be a bad idea.....
photo (4).JPG
photo (4).JPG (34.12 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
VPAD
vpadfsu
hunter

Postby duckhunter48 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:25 am

that sounds like a good plan. must be why you killed so many ducks last year.
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Teal Sighting

Postby chris_k » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:03 am

duckhunter48 wrote:

that sounds like a good plan. must be why you killed so many ducks last year.

Why do you always have to start fights? Lol
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby duckhunter48 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:39 pm

not starting fights, just annoying that someone who has hunted 2 years thinks he has it all together and makes sure everyone knows it.
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:57 pm

apparently he is a meteorologist as well
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:08 pm

quackhunter99 wrote:apparently he is a meteorologist as well

This one made me laugh.... :lol:
tknight006
hunter

Postby vpadfsu » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:10 pm

lol. That was pretty good...im not gonna lie.
VPAD
vpadfsu
hunter

Postby marshnole11 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:47 pm

duckhunter48 wrote:not starting fights, just annoying that someone who has hunted 2 years thinks he has it all together and makes sure everyone knows it.

Yea there seems to be alot of that going on around here. This is where I come to learn about duck hunting from all the jedi masters.
marshnole11
hunter

Postby chris_k » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:37 am

vpadfsu wrote:

lol. That was pretty good...im not gonna lie.

39 birds for your first year duck hunting is not bad at all. Plus he killed 5 more mallards than I did last season. So he's doing good IMO.

Duckhunter48, did you kill more than 20 ducks last season? (and I mean mallards). The others don't count.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby duckhunter48 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:50 am

chris_k wrote:Duckhunter48, did you kill more than 20 ducks last season? (and I mean mallards). The others don't count.

seriously? bc we all know the panhandle is loaded with mallards. but to answer your question, yes. i killed 22 ducks last year. all hen woodies and 4 coots. one of the coots was banded and radio collared. if you dont believe me, i now have the radio collar on my lanyard so i can show you anytime you want.
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Next

Return to Florida Duck Hunting