How long have you been hunting waterfowl?

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Postby tknight006 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:11 pm

With so many people on here, I was curious as to how long some of us have been hunting. I'm sure some of us have been hunting longer than others have been alive.

Hunted south louisiana until I was 18, joined the navy so I had a break.. Picked it back up 4 years ago...

Probably 11 years total of active waterfowl hunting.... I still have a long way to go and TONS to learn..
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Re: How long have you been hunting waterfowl?

Postby marshnole11 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:56 pm

wow... I cant wait to hear from all the old salts on this board
marshnole11
hunter

Postby BigBend » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:25 am

When I was born I slapped my mom, spit snuff in the doctors eye, grabbed my shotgun and the rest is history
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby bdub » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:44 am

BigBend wrote:When I was born I slapped my mom, spit snuff in the doctors eye, grabbed my shotgun and the rest is history

You slapped MARY! :fingerpt:

This will be my 3rd year. Im a total noob and im ok with that. I was introduced to this sport at the age of 22. My younger brother-in-law(19) and his buddy introduced me to the sport. and I owe them alot of gratitude. Pretty sure one of them shot my first bird but they coinvinced me that it was mine!
Last edited by bdub on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
bdub
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:16 am

Grandfather introduced me at the age of 14-15, so I guess 7-8 years of hunting? He grew up in Palatka and hunted Lake Panosofkee with his uncle and some of the prairies. He got me started with dove hunts, which is the best way to introduce a kid to shooting, and the rest has been learned by self or word of mouth from him or others. I love and respect this recreation and I owe it to him. I always tell people that I learned to catch fish from my dad, but grandfather taught me how to kill birds.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:11 am

started going duck hunting with my dad when I was 4. 18 now.
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:30 pm

I guess I have been serious into the ducks for about 13 yrs now. I was introduced to the sport by some high school buddies. After a few hunts, I was hooked. That's when I decided to get my own boat and dekes.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:33 pm

What time is it? :lol3: No, actually about 42 years, but the vast majority of it was not very skillful or very successful!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby JAXDuckMan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:53 pm

5yrs.
2012/13 season
16-BW teal
16 Bluebills
1 hog, 5 more hogs with friends.
JAXDuckMan
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:38 pm

This will only be my 3rd season. My first season got me into it, especially after a nice drake wigeon was the second duck I shot. What was funny was I had no clue the uniqueness of the kill for the area at the time, but my friend Josh was freaking out. Between 1st and second season, I bought many books on water fowling, decoying, etc, and scoured the internet for info. Last season was a solid season, and it was nice being able to ID ducks as good or better than most due to the research. This season should be interesting. I expanded by decoy collection by 150% and have done more reading. Unfortunately I dont have that much time to scout with having finally started my career. I will be hitting up some STA's to keep the fire alive though. With the BB limit potentially being raised, it may be worth while to hunt Tampa Bay, we shall see.
troutman561
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:36 pm

14 years.
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby sigalphjoe44 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:09 pm

Going on my 15th season. I live everyday in preparation for the next season. This is my crack :thumbsup:
sigalphjoe44
hunter

Postby sdeshazo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:58 pm

Well started hunting with Dad an a uncle when I lived in North La at about 8 years old, moved back too FL & pretty much been hunting ducks since I'm now 40.
The draw did nothing for me this year so other than a Canda trip I have in Sep I'll pretty much hunt local unless I tag along with friends that drew permits.

Trey how did u do in the draw?
1548 Legend Craft with a MB 4oooS
MoMarsh Fatboy DP
Boykin Spaniel
sdeshazo
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:29 am

sdeshazo wrote:Well started hunting with Dad an a uncle when I lived in North La at about 8 years old, moved back too FL & pretty much been hunting ducks since I'm now 40.
The draw did nothing for me this year so other than a Canda trip I have in Sep I'll pretty much hunt local unless I tag along with friends that drew permits.

Trey how did u do in the draw?

I got STA 2 12/29 morning, and 5 12/30 morning. Hoping it will be a good weekend.

U looking to make a trip down there?
tknight006
hunter

Postby sdeshazo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:43 am

Trey give Me a shout about 2 I hunted it last year an 5 for that matter.
Yea I planning on making the drive, I have several friends that drew permits an always willing to tag along.
1548 Legend Craft with a MB 4oooS
MoMarsh Fatboy DP
Boykin Spaniel
sdeshazo
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:05 am

sdeshazo wrote:Trey give Me a shout about 2 I hunted it last year an 5 for that matter.
Yea I planning on making the drive, I have several friends that drew permits an always willing to tag along.

Will do, I hunted 5 last year and loved it. I was able to scout 2 but never hunted it.

I have some good woodie spots around our area, always looking for someone to hunt on mon/tues. I have those days off every other week
tknight006
hunter

Postby blackrhino » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:34 am

We lived in Texas for a few years when I was a kid. A couple of doctors from the VA hospital my mom worked at were kind enough to take me duck hunting with them. I was 11. I also had a Biology teacher that took me to jump shoot some tanks with him a few times. I'm 53 now so I guess 42 years. Damn typing that makes me feel old.
Duck'n ain't easy!
blackrhino
hunter

Postby drjon » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:05 pm

At it for 25 years and still learning new things. Unfortunately, its not the same as it was when I started, and each year it seems we lose a little more public land/water access to those who think they know best. I hope my grandchildren will stil be able to hunt public lands and waters with the kings permission first, of course.
drjon
hunter

Postby Belly up dux » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:53 pm

Started going at 9 yo I think and was able to carry a gun at 10. Cut a lot of yards to get the 80 dollars to buy that gun and still have it today. So 30 years for me. I grew up out west when greenheads were 20 point birds and they all seemed to decoy, and honkers covered the cornfields. Good memories.
Belly up dux
State Moderator

Postby widgeon drake » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:23 pm

I start when i was 4.My grandpa ,,my dad and my uncles introduce me . I
start dove hunt in Puerto Rico. Dove hunt in Puerto Rico is like argentina.I have 32 now.
widgeon drake
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting