gates locked?

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

gates locked?

Postby lovetheduck » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:17 pm

Uey guys I'm out at guana at the north end wanting to do some scouting and the gate is locked when the map says its an unimproved road. So no driving at all on guana wma? If I don't have a boat for waterfowl then am I screwed for there? And what about for hogs do I have to walk the whole thing or will the gates open up at one point so I can drive a bit?
lovetheduck
hunter

Re: gates locked?

Postby tknight006 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:41 pm

The gates will be open for scouting days. With that being said, The lake itself is accessed by using six mile launch (this is whys opened sat and wed to waterfowlers). There are a few ponds on the interior but you can access them right now

You basically need a boat of some sort to hunt ducks at guana
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby lovetheduck » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:43 pm

So when can I actually scout by foot? You said days for scouting.....when is that
lovetheduck
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:56 pm

The dates should be listed in the brochure. I know it's usually the Fridays before each season
tknight006
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:02 pm

Way to put in for a permit and have no idea wth your are doing there lol... :hammer: :hammer: probably why its so hard to draw a decent one when you want it...
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby widgeon drake » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:47 pm

hey guys if i launch my boat on palm valley,is legal hunt in the back part of guana. My question if i can hunt in any body of water close to guana
widgeon drake
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:46 pm

widgeon drake wrote:hey guys if i launch my boat on palm valley,is legal hunt in the back part of guana. My question if i can hunt in any body of water close to guana

FWC would probably know better than me
tknight006
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Catfish_Hunter wrote:Way to put in for a permit and have no idea wth your are doing there lol... :hammer: :hammer: probably why its so hard to draw a decent one when you want it...

Those permits are drawn daily during the season on a first come, first serve basis... :hammer:

The guy was out there attempting to scout and familiarize himself with the area. He may not have read the reg's, but at least he was putting forth the effort.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby lovetheduck » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks duck dawg I appreciate that, I'm military and just moved here and trying to get my feet wet before I'm out there at 4 in the morning tossing decoys into strange territory. And if your going to bust on someone catfish hunter read the initial post and I also thought this was supposed to be a friendly forum....where'd you come from with that?
lovetheduck
hunter

Postby rummya87 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:43 am

you may drive your vehicle into the upland WMA on scout days (the day preceding any open hunting season in the WMA). Otherwise, you may scout on foot (or bicycle) by accessing the WMA from the dam or Roscoe road. There are six interior ponds open to duck hunting that may be hunted during open seasons with the appropriate quota permit, or during small game days with a daily permit. Hunting on the lake is regulated by a daily permit which must be picked up from six mile landing. Open days on the lake are the first day of each phase of waterfowl season and every saturday and wednesday thereafter until season close. Scouting the lake is allowed on the day preceding each season or by access from the dam during open season as six mile closes access except for wednesday and saturday during the open season (I don't personally do this since I'm not sure if you're actually ALLOWED to do this, so I would scout prior to season to avoid doing this). You will need some type of watercraft to hunt the impoundment as the bottom is very soft. Good luck and be safe, it is a very popular area.
rummya87
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:21 pm

lovetheduck - rummya pretty much answered your question for scouting the interior. The initial big game season is by quota permit, they open the gate by the dam on Thursdays before the 3 day hunt throughout the big game season. You can drive all through the interior during that time. The interior ponds do not require a boat, but some do have a soft bottom, so waders are a must. As for the lake, daily draw permits on Wed & Sat. You need a boat to hunt the lake. Set up where you want, but be courteous to the other hunters. Get their early for a good spot. Hal normally opens the ramp around 0330...well at least he did when i hunted it. If you have any more questions, let me know buddy. Send me a PM and i'll try to help you out.

widgeon drake wrote:hey guys if i launch my boat on palm valley,is legal hunt in the back part of guana. My question if i can hunt in any body of water close to guana

You can only hunt Guana lake (Ponte Vedra lake) on Wed and Sat and must have a daily permit from the station at 6 mile landing ramp. You must get your permit first, then go and launch if you wish to launch from up there. The shopping center there will tow your truck if you park there. DO NOT hunt the lake without that permit. They had some wardens bust a lot of guys sneaking in early without permits on hunt days from the north end of the lake. It can be a hefty fine, might as well get the daily permit and save yourself a ticket!
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby FlatLiner13 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:36 pm

Everyone pretty much answered your question. FWC is the best place to get info for anywhere else, make sure you talk to someone who patrols the areas your are inquiring about. I have found that duck hunting is a very "iffy" subject one will say something then the other turns it a 180 and says another thing. Just do your research.
Best bet to hunt interior lakes is to scout it like they said the days before. If hunting interior be careful small game is also in season. You have to be out by 1 I believe. Also if wanting to hunt the big lake you will need a boat of some kind at least to get your somewhere. One of my best days out their I took my kayak and didn't paddle far came in with a limit real quick (might have been a really lucky day tho) If you go up north and launch get a permit like stated.
FlatLiner13
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting