2012/13 predictions

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

2012/13 predictions

Postby JAXDuckMan » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:16 am

When the oil spill happened I predicted that the hunting in Florida was going to be awesome(and it was for me anyways), so I'm going out on limb to say this year with the drought in the Southwest and Midwest I think its going to push alot of ducks into Florida. The record duck count is going to play a big factor this year also.What you guys think? I also think we will get some big ducks like mallards. We will see an increase in Gadwalls,Canvasbacks, and Spoonbills. I think also the first early seasons going to be slow. Well this is what I think going to happen ...we will see I hope Im right..... :hammer:
Last edited by JAXDuckMan on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012/13 season
16-BW teal
16 Bluebills
1 hog, 5 more hogs with friends.
JAXDuckMan
hunter

Re: 2012/13 predictions

Postby chris_k » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:37 am

JAXDuckMan wrote:When the oil spill happened I predicted that the hunting in Florida was going to be awesome(and it was for me anyways), so I'm going out on limb to say this year with the drought in the Southwest and Midwest I think its going to push alot of ducks into Florida. Also the record duck count is going to play a big factor this year also.What you guys think? I also think we will get some big bucks like mallards. We will see an increase in Gadwalls,Canvasbacks, and Spoonbills. I think also the first early seasons going to be slow. Well this is what I think going to happen ...we will see I hope Im right..... :hammer:

I am hoping for a ridiculously harsh winter. I think with our local conditions how they are, a big cold before the beginning of the second split could make for a phenomenal season.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:54 pm

yep i agree im hopeful this year will be one for the books...i think last year the big ducks never got pushed down because up north never locked up and a mild winter. i believe since the northern season goes out early they didnt get harassed as bad makin duck populations even better.i dont know a ton but i believe weather plays a part depending on the species, sum species just move because its just time, but i believe my theory will hold true concerning mallards.Down here everything looks real good so hopefully it will turn out to be a great season.happy huntin fellas its bout that time!!!
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby sigalphjoe44 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:53 pm

supposedly this year is supposed to be real wet in the southeast and very very cold particularly on the eastern seaboard. im oretty pumoed about the prospects for the season but also for record numbers and potentially a very wet and cold winter that means the breeding conditions are better and more breeding pairs.....always looking to the next season even if this one hasnt started yet. lol
sigalphjoe44
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:30 pm

sigalphjoe44 wrote:supposedly this year is supposed to be real wet in the southeast and very very cold particularly on the eastern seaboard. im oretty pumoed about the prospects for the season but also for record numbers and potentially a very wet and cold winter that means the breeding conditions are better and more breeding pairs.....always looking to the next season even if this one hasnt started yet. lol

x2 on the predictions. Farmers almanac predicted a mild winter last year and they were right. This year is looking to be wet in the Southeast and cold temps along the Atlantic Coast all the way to the great lakes. Dont rule out a good freeze before second phase.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby duckhunter48 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:53 am

i predict the usual: crowded lakes and low duck numbers. hopefully im wrong!

would be nice to actually have a winter this year though!
11-12 season totals:

Coot-7
Hen wood ducks-2
Whistling Tree Ducks-1
duckhunter48
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:03 am

I'm highly optimistic about this season. Many, if not all, of my old woody holes are full of water and acorns. Dryer conditions up north may force the birds down earlier and in greater numbers. We may indeed have a great year, but the mississippi flyway should be exceptional because of the midwest being most affected by drought and crop failure. I'd love to live in Louisiana, just for duck season of corse. :biggrin:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:13 am

I predict the northern US will freeze up around early December and drive the birds to VA to linger for a bit. We will shoot them up and then they will head down to FL for a couple weeks in late December, early January when i come down for my 2 weeks of vacation and i will get the opportunity to shoot them up again. :lol3:

Hopefully it does get cold up north this year and freezes some. It would be nice to actually get birds in VA this year and for those birds to be down in FL when i'm down for my 2 trips this year.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:46 am

Alot of the time the National Weather Service and NOAA can't even get the weather/seas right on the day of. I'm all for optimism but hell, weather is weather and ducks can fly. I predict this season will be just like any other...I'll lose alot of sleep, watch alot of sunrises, and kill alot of ducks. I HOPE we have a cold winter, and I hope we get a strong push of ducks. Regardless, I'll still be out on the water every chance I get.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby compgod09 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:17 pm

I would love a nice cold winter lol . My parents told me that mo is has record number of ducks there this year. Hopefully they will find their way south . But ya it wont hurt my feelings if its super bad this season last season sucked monkey way to warm
compgod09
Newb

Postby duckmedic269 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:53 am

X2 to duck dawgs last comment ... either way we are all gonna be out there freezing or sweating and swatting mosquitos like last year lol . Its shaping up to be very interesting this year , its been years since we had steady rain everyday .
duckmedic269
hunter

Postby compgod09 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:30 pm

No kidding I might have to put some mosquito nets up this year :no:
compgod09
Newb

Postby widgeon drake » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:34 pm

yes men this year looks like awesome,in early season a see thousand of teals,some shovelers,wigeons..im shoot my limit in 20 min
widgeon drake
hunter

Postby JAXDuckMan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:25 am

Minuates after shooting time I limited out at guana. I hunted a couple more days after that and it slowed down but didnt stop me from limiting out the other three times I went, but my buddies did well too with almost a limit...Im seeing lots of local pond ducks starting to show up and I am very excited about that....
2012/13 season
16-BW teal
16 Bluebills
1 hog, 5 more hogs with friends.
JAXDuckMan
hunter

2012/13 predictions

Postby chris_k » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:49 pm

It's been looking pretty good so far! We ended up with 67 ducks and 1 goose in the early season. It's already looking better than last year. I think most 2-person groups will end up in the 300-350ish this year.

Can't wait for the Nov. 3 opener in Texas! Yeehaw!
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby SnookMan88 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:37 pm

Dang chris-k, thats a lot of ducks in 5 days! How many people are in your group? I hope you are right 300 is a lot of birds! :beer:
SnookMan88
hunter

2012/13 predictions

Postby chris_k » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:55 pm

SnookMan88 wrote:Dang chris-k, thats a lot of ducks in 5 days! How many people are in your group? I hope you are right 300 is a lot of birds! :beer:

Just my gf and I most of the time. We hunted 3 sometimes. But not all these birds were killed in florida. I'm sure a bunch here in FL broke 100 in teal season. We had fun, that's what really matters.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby SnookMan88 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:22 am

O cool.. what other states do you hunt in? I might get to hunt in north carolina a couple days this season. I only got to hunt 4 times in early season and personally bagged 13 teal (limit on hunt 1&2, 3 on hunt 3, and 2 on hunt 4).
SnookMan88
hunter

2012/13 predictions

Postby chris_k » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:57 am

SnookMan88 wrote:O cool.. what other states do you hunt in? I might get to hunt in north carolina a couple days this season. I only got to hunt 4 times in early season and personally bagged 13 teal (limit on hunt 1&2, 3 on hunt 3, and 2 on hunt 4).

This year I think we'll hunt Arkansas, Texas, Mississippi, Florida, Georgia and maybe Louisiana.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting