Places to hunt in east central Florida

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Places to hunt in east central Florida

Postby Redfishjoe » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:47 pm

New to the forum but not new to Florida. I can find you redfish, snook, tarpon and just about anything that swims but I am lost when it comes to finding a good duck hunting spot in east central Florida. My 12 year old boy has been buggin me for some time to take him duck hunting since I told him about great duck hunts I have done years ago. Dont have a duck boat and I dont think you guys would appreciate an 17ft. white flats boat cruising around opening day. Anybody have any places, "walk in" places in Seminole or Brevard counties I can bring my boy. I have a great lab thats been bird trained and itchin to go too. Thanks
Redfishjoe
Newb

Postby kg4yus » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:02 pm

Tates Hell should have some cypress ponds and marshes in it.
You can also try the St Johns River if you can cover that boat up and wade.

Merrit Island National Wildlife Refuge, but agin you will have to wade and need at least a small float tube to get across the ditches that surround the impoundments. Some of the impoundments you can throw a small boat over just about anywhere along its length.
Mossy Oak-Waterfowl Prostaff
Buck Gardner-Field Staff
Vice Chair- CFL Delta Waterfowl
Regional Director United Waterfowlers
FFWCC Hunter Safety Area Coordinator
kg4yus
hunter

Postby snipeshooter » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:07 am

There are places to all along the St.Johns, most of the back water areas and marshes hold birds at differnt times of the year. You need a boat to get there,then park it and build a blind with cabbage palm fronds along the edge away from the boat. Birds move around a lot here depending on the amount of water in the river so come fall you need to scout, scout and scout some more.
As for the dog there are lots of big lizards that would love to make a meal out of him. I would leave him at home until you get the hang of things.
snipeshooter
hunter

Postby slimey limey » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:01 pm

hey redfish try to take your son to TGMorris wma, Its a great place hard to get on there but lots of ducks let me know if you go
slimey limey
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting