Duck Hunting Forum banner

Any hunters around Orlando?

20K views 75 replies 27 participants last post by  Just_do_it 
#1 ·
Just trying to meet some new guys around the Orlando area and maybe build some new friendships and hunting buddies. Didn't see any or hear any on the lake/ponds by my house, so don't think many are around.

#4 ·
lots of hunters around orlanda.... just not alot of florida guys talk on here too much. Most are over on the other sites....

All the guys i know in your area go to MI or the St Johns to hunt.... if not to TMG and STA's.

#5 ·
Huntchessies, what are your odds on pulling permits for the hunts at MI or the STA"s? Only state wma I have hunted is guana and its first come first serve. Plus you don't have to pay an entrance fee.

#6 ·
I'm in the Orlando area!!!

I spend most of my time on the SJR.

Permits for MINWR are available at a cost (until january) and the cost vs. harvest just is not worth it for me, it aint what it used to be!. TM is a good place but it seems that since they went to the "random draw" we cant seem to land a permit, and im surely not driving 2.5hrs to sit in line and hope to get a spot that is left over.

I don't promise limits, but i do promise a good time!!!

#7 ·
Tuff5254 said:
I'm in the Orlando area!!!

I spend most of my time on the SJR.

Permits for MINWR are available at a cost (until january) and the cost vs. harvest just is not worth it for me, it aint what it used to be!. TM is a good place but it seems that since they went to the "random draw" we cant seem to land a permit, and im surely not driving 2.5hrs to sit in line and hope to get a spot that is left over.

I don't promise limits, but i do promise a good time!!!
Thanks Tuff. Me and ryano022 are buddies from college and Im in Tally and he's in Orlando obviously so we're trying to schedule hunts between cities. He is thinking about Merrit but to me it looks like a madhouse. Im sure their are a lot of birds there, but the hassle of everything else seems to outweigh the benefit. Thats why I only hunt Guana twice a year, maybe three. Its just too much for me on management areas when it comes to ducks.

#8 ·
Merritt Island is not bad during Nov and Dec. cause its a permited entrance (cost of 16.00) and is limited entry. What gets crazy is come january when its a "free for all" and everyone and their grandmother with a duck call and a gun goes out there and high balls and sky blazes till noon. It has known to get pretty cut throat if ya know what i mean. NO THANKS! Thats why i dont go out there anymore.
Alittle time, alittle gas and you can surly kill a limit on the SJR, and its only 5 mins down the road.
Im always looking for someone new to hunt with, and am always looking to learn new things from different people. Ill try and get with Ryano and see if we can meet up and spend a few days on the river and get yall on some birds here.

#9 ·
It would suck to pay extra to hunt and not be guaranteed to get out there. Plus you have to schedule around that certain time period if you do pull a permit, but for some down there I guess its worth it. That would be awesome to check out the SJR. I have my boat here in Tally and hunt local and some down south later in the year. I have never ventured on the St.Johns down there. Ive fished and caught shrimp on it in Palatka ,but thats my extent of the river. Looks like there are good areas down there that would hold birds if you do your homework. I've had to do that here this past early season and have walked away with a handful of birds. I will be down later in October or early November to help him scout locally. Maybe Ill see you then if y'all get in touch.

#10 ·
what i meant to say was that there are only a certain amount of permits per day that can be purchased, and if/when you buy them its a guarentee. Anyways....

Ill try and get with him sometime soon and show him around alittle, and then that way yall can do your thing or the 3 of us can get together. Either way its all about helpin people out for me! Looking forward to it!!!

#11 ·
I'm in the Orlando area. I can't see why everyone talks so highly of MI, TMG, etc. They're good places to hunt if you like shooting at high birds from all the skyblasting, listening to mallard calls all morning, or people setting up in your spread. I've done well there but not worth the trouble. Scout the lakes around Orlando, or if you're willing to drive an hour in any direction you'll find birds. I shot more ducks last year and didn't go to any of the STA's, just scouting. That's why there are so many people in those spots, from posts like these for the cyber scouters to go out the morning of and take your spot. Find hidden spots and keep them quiet and you'll do alright.

#12 ·
Well I have found some spots that don't have hunters and have birds but I am Kinda sol cause i don't have a boat and student loans eat up every paycheck :-( so I just drive around scouting for nothing and hope my buddy can come down and bring his boat on occasion, that's why I wrote this post to try and introduce myself and see if anyone was willing to get a new hunting partner and help me out lol. Trust me I know cyber scouters are everywhere and guys try to tag along and take your spot but I do the opposite, I'd do scouting on my part to find new areas and birds and try to share spots but i know that's tough to ask for.

#13 ·
ryano022 said:
Well I have found some spots that don't have hunters and have birds but I am Kinda sol cause i don't have a boat and student loans eat up every paycheck :-( so I just drive around scouting for nothing and hope my buddy can come down and bring his boat on occasion, that's why I wrote this post to try and introduce myself and see if anyone was willing to get a new hunting partner and help me out lol. Trust me I know cyber scouters are everywhere and guys try to tag along and take your spot but I do the opposite, I'd do scouting on my part to find new areas and birds and try to share spots but i know that's tough to ask for.
You can probably get a good kayak on craigslist for a couple hundred bucks. You cant afford that?

#14 ·
I've looked into a kayak or canoe but where I live, there's no place to put it at our apartment and I guess there was a guy who chained his up to find it missing in the am, so I'm trying to save up for a Jon boat and trailer so i can have it in the parking lot with the other boats

#18 ·
ryano022 said:
Ha joe you think cait would want a kayak on our porch? My parents just bought us outside furniture, I even had to hide my grill ha
Haha just tell her its a new piece of outdoor furniture. And its gonna get more use than chairs. You could rig up a pulley on the wall or rail and winch it up and down whenever you wanna use it or store it. That's what I would do.

#19 ·
Yea joe I live in a residential area not some shack in the woods, plus we just got an email apparently for the ones who have boats have to put them in storage or rent a garage, don't understand why they built a boat ramp and you can't even have a boat in your parking area

#21 ·
I'm a newbie, in Orlando area and would love to find someone to hunt with. I went one time last season in Louisiana and I'm hooked. Not sure what everyone's acronyms stand for, but I don't mind the travel if I can hunt.

I have a German Shepherd that I trained for duck retrieval in water. He's fantastic with the scented decoys but haven't tried him on the real thing yet. Waiting for the opportunity.

I'm an experienced shooter as far as safety and general knowledge goes, but new to the duck hunting sport. Would love to hear from you guys if you want to hunt.

Dave

#23 ·
Pharmaduck said:
I live in Orlando and hunt in public waters. Never been interested in the hassle of sta's etc... Like Tuff said theres some good options if you burn some gas. By the way Tuff I may of met you a few seasons ago. Did you ever hunt out of hatbill ramp?
Yeap that was us! I think i was still in the gheenoe when we met. That boat is gone and im running something bigger now. We will have to catch up again this year and see if we can get some pinned down!!! :thumbsup:

#24 ·
Late to this post, but I'm another Orlando newb.
Been fishing the lakes/rivers/lagoon a ton for the past
7 years and have just started duck hunting. Don't know
much as this is my first season but look forward to
becoming knowledgeable quickly. Looking at out of the
way lakes/ponds rather than entering the fray I
have heard about/seen at MIR and SJR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.