Shotgun ?

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Shotgun ?

Postby Wetland_Dream » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:24 am

Im looking into buying a new shotgun before regular season kicks off. I currently shoot a mossberg 835 pump ive had since i was a youngin. Definitely going to step into the semi-auto world (im sick of pumping). But im stuck between the stoeger 3000 and the franchi affinity. My budget isnt what i had hoped it would be this year so affordable guns are whats in my price range. Im just wondering if the extra 200 or so dollars will be worth the investment for the franchi.
Wetland_Dream
hunter

Re: Shotgun ?

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:13 am

Personally, I dont think it matter what you shoot. Its the operator that makes the kill not the gun. I shoot an old Browning A-5 light 12 humpback and its been in cold and hot conditions and never failed on me. Cant beat a true recoil semi action :biggrin: . I would just go to a local pawn shop and find an older model semi and save a lot of money. Browning makes good hardware, but thats just my two cents. If you are stuck between the two though I would go with the Stoeger. Good luck to ya!
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby JAXDuckMan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Benelli M2, Period!
2012/13 season
16-BW teal
16 Bluebills
1 hog, 5 more hogs with friends.
JAXDuckMan
hunter

Postby drjon » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:10 pm

Tm is spot on doesn't matter, but here's a thought. What do you really want? Since you real dilemma is the $ difference between your choice. Your probably going to have this gun for a long time. Even if the diff were $500, over several years you won't miss the $. I know it easier said than done, but you won't regret it over the long term and you won't have the regret when you see the model you really wanted later.
drjon
hunter

Postby SnookMan88 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:03 pm

save your money and buy an m2 american series. Stoegers have problems and are cheapos (two of my buddies have owned them). Dont know much about franchi but I would stay away. Hold off on a new gun right now and save your money and once you have enough buy a gun that will last a lifetime. I saved 6 months to buy my new supervinci (and traded in my old shotgun). It was well worht the wait
SnookMan88
hunter

Postby BigBend » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:53 am

Been shooting an M2 for 5 years, no problems at all. Its been money well spent.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby sdeshazo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:05 am

Snookman you really llike the Super Vinci? I really looked at it but the speed of takeing it apart was really not a seller for me & I went with the Cordoba.
1548 Legend Craft with a MB 4oooS
MoMarsh Fatboy DP
Boykin Spaniel
sdeshazo
hunter

Postby Tuff5254 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:33 am

If there’s one thing i have learned about guns is its all about personal preference. Go to a gun shop and look at the gun, hold the gun, mount the gun, swing the gun and get what feels good to you. Just because one brand of gun works for one person does not mean it will work for you. Then decide if the 200 bucks is worth the difference.
Tuff5254
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:25 am

Tuff5254 wrote:If there’s one thing i have learned about guns is its all about personal preference. Go to a gun shop and look at the gun, hold the gun, mount the gun, swing the gun and get what feels good to you. Just because one brand of gun works for one person does not mean it will work for you. Then decide if the 200 bucks is worth the difference.

X2
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby SnookMan88 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:54 am

sdeshazo wrote:Snookman you really llike the Super Vinci? I really looked at it but the speed of takeing it apart was really not a seller for me & I went with the Cordoba.

I love my super vinci (SV), I have only fired a little over 500 rounds since I have had it but I have had zero malfunctions of any kind (never tried target loads under 1 1/8 oz). I was going to buy either a SBE2 or the SV and decided on the SV because it fit me perfectly. As an added bonus it is the fastest cleaning shotgun I own! Outside of duck hunting I am a huge glock fan. I kind of look at the SV as the glock of the shotgun world. Polymer frame, quick break down, few moving parts, and reliable.
SnookMan88
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:06 am

Franchi is owned by Benelli, and uses the same ineritia operating system. Thats what I would get in your situation.
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:59 pm

quackhunter99 wrote:Franchi is owned by Benelli, and uses the same ineritia operating system. Thats what I would get in your situation.

Both Franchi and Stoeger are owned by Benelli USA, and both operate on the inertia-driven operating system. If it were me, I would go with the Franchi Affinity. I shot a Stoeger 2000 (predecessor to the 3000) for 6.5 years until just recently, and it was a decent gun for the money. Unfortunately, Stoegers (can only speak for the 2000) are prone to 2 problems that I'm aware of: misfiring caused by faulty firing pins and springs, and loose hex screws in the receiver. In 6.5 years, I had to replace my firing pin/spring 3 times, and the gun still has problems misfiring. My brother also has a Stoeger 2000, and even though he purchased his gun 3 years after me, his gun has the same problem with misfiring. I've also had problems with the hex screw that holds the ejector pin in place coming loose and falling out. I never had a problem with this happening until my 5th season with the gun, but since then it has happened twice, and I've been forced to replace the scew twice and the pin once.

Now having said all of that, if there is one thing about Stoeger that impressed me repeatedly, it was the quality of customer service I received each time I had a problem. They were always quick to answer any questions, and get me the parts I needed as fast as possible. Unfortunately, the best customer service in the world isn't worth crap if your product is constantly malfunctioning.

They may have addressed all of those problems with the Stoeger 3000, but I would still recommend going with the Franchi. In terms of quality and fit-and-finish I think they're a step above the Stoegers. Just my .02
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby JAXDuckMan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Bennelli's are good for three reasons. First-simplicity there are very few parts. 2nd-High quality steel and alluminum. The trigger assembly is very simple just look at a Rem. 11-87 and M2. youll see that the Remingtion is a gaggle of metal and springs lots to go wrong. Third, its blow back no gas system means less parts. 1911s and most hand guns operate the same.The marines use benellis for a reason. I like the M2 but Im sure the vinci's are fine. The vincies are too Techno for me.It does matter which one you get, as duck hunters we hunt in the rain, salt water, and so on. Ive owned many shotguns they are fine untill faced with a situation that requires you to use your gun as an oar. Then their faults will be appearant.....Im rough on gear and my gun is holding up just fine no failures yet. I cant say the same for my other shotguns....Id like to buy american again but the guns suck....
2012/13 season
16-BW teal
16 Bluebills
1 hog, 5 more hogs with friends.
JAXDuckMan
hunter

Shotgun ?

Postby chris_k » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:04 pm

O/U nuff said :)
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby Wetland_Dream » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:39 pm

I have an over under as well however its a gold pidgeon, so I dont really wanna take it out in the marsh.
Wetland_Dream
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:04 pm

Berreta Xtrema 2!
Best/worst purchase I've ever made, I was 19 and i'll just blame it on that fact.... :yes:
You pay for you!

Return to Florida Duck Hunting