Dixie County Duck Hunting

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, Ichabod97, BigBend

Dixie County Duck Hunting

Postby ffrodelgnim » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:35 pm

Recently just leased some property mainly for deer hunting (which I will also take advantage). But I am a raised waterfowl hunter from Texas and I have hunted waterfowl all my life all over the world. This property does have ponds on it tuckered into the woods, actually quite a few of them but I need to scout them out and look at which ones will be better. My question is... are there ducks in the area? As a hunter I am expecting from the area that there will be wood ducks and possibly teal and mergansers flying in, as it is their type of terrain. (possibly mallards and other puddle ducks too) BUT has anyone ever hunted these birds? If I go out put out a nice spread with a mojo-robo and hide should I expect to smack some quack? I am curious to what you think?
ffrodelgnim
hunter

Re: Dixie County Duck Hunting

Postby FlaWoodie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:27 pm

Where in Dixie county??? Im not gonna lie I saw this post and it kind of made me laugh, not your fault! but i grew up spending my summers and winters in dixie county (cross city & old town area) and I can tell you that it is one part of the state where duck hunting for the most part isnt really apart of anyones after thought. No real large public bodies of water to congregate.bottleneck and hold duck #'s let alone duck hunt on(other than the river which i dont think really holds alot of ducks, i may be wrong though)Atleast in my experience, like perry and other similiar places, this is Dog Running country!!! Only time I ever duck hunted their was on a small lake for woodducks on a private dog runnnin club and we didnt see a darn thing. But your right, there are going to be those few honey holes for wood ducks or even maybe get lucky out on the suwannee on some woodies but that would seem to me to be about it, but who knows give it a shot. I'm pretty sure you could probably head to the coast and probably lay into some seaducks but for the most part( and correct me if im wrong on here people) most folks from dixie are gonna look at you like ur crazy.these are deer huntin folks and they love their dogs, loud trucks, and shootin everything that moves! haha dont get me wrong I love dixie county and grew up riding dog boxes there, and if it werent for it I would probably not be the hunter I am today! If anyone else has another opinion or expereince about this area I'd love to hear it, but for the most part this is what I got, hope I didnt dissapoint you too much. ohh and dont count on seeing too many mallards in Fl in general i think those boys out in n.west florida(pensacola) may get them every now and then maybe but dont think they are super common anywhere else in Fl but let someone else on here chime you in on that im from tallahassee and we dont get em at all....woodies, teal, and ringers are your new best friends with the occasional can, redhead, bluebill and a few others but mostly the first 3. goodluck! :beer:
You pay for you!

Postby ffrodelgnim » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:45 pm

FlaWoodie wrote:Where in Dixie county??? Im not gonna lie I saw this post and it kind of made me laugh, not your fault! but i grew up spending my summers and winters in dixie county (cross city & old town area) and I can tell you that it is one part of the state where duck hunting for the most part isnt really apart of anyones after thought. No real large public bodies of water to congregate.bottleneck and hold duck #'s let alone duck hunt on(other than the river which i dont think really holds alot of ducks, i may be wrong though)Atleast in my experience, like perry and other similiar places, this is Dog Running country!!! Only time I ever duck hunted their was on a small lake for woodducks on a private dog runnnin club and we didnt see a darn thing. But your right, there are going to be those few honey holes for wood ducks or even maybe get lucky out on the suwannee on some woodies but that would seem to me to be about it, but who knows give it a shot. I'm pretty sure you could probably head to the coast and probably lay into some seaducks but for the most part( and correct me if im wrong on here people) most folks from dixie are gonna look at you like ur crazy.these are deer huntin folks and they love their dogs, loud trucks, and shootin everything that moves! haha dont get me wrong I love dixie county and grew up riding dog boxes there, and if it werent for it I would probably not be the hunter I am today! If anyone else has another opinion or expereince about this area I'd love to hear it, but for the most part this is what I got, hope I didnt dissapoint you too much. ohh and dont count on seeing too many mallards in Fl in general i think those boys out in n.west florida(pensacola) may get them every now and then maybe but dont think they are super common anywhere else in Fl but let someone else on here chime you in on that im from tallahassee and we dont get em at all....woodies, teal, and ringers are your new best friends with the occasional can, redhead, bluebill and a few others but mostly the first 3. goodluck! :beer:

Well I plan on hunting the "traditional" florida game (hogs, deer and turkeys), and am aware of the popularity of this hunting in that area, but lack of experience in those fields makes me want to find ducks. Lease manager swears up and down that I will get some ducks, and has had a handfull of duckhunters in the past. I am not expecting limits but in the ponds I have seen I cant imagin there not being wood ducks. I will keep the forum world posted as to my successes.
ffrodelgnim
hunter

Postby blackrhino » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:07 am

Years ago we had great success hunting ponds along the Dixie County coast. These were all freshwater ponds back in the '70's and '80's. Now days the ducks don't come to them anymore. I'm guessing as the water table has dropped they suffered from saltwater intrusion?
If the lease has some ponds I would scout them and see which are holding ducks. I'm sure Woodducks at least. As it gets colder you may be suprised.
Duck'n ain't easy!
blackrhino
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting