Thank you duck dynasty !!!

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Postby duckmedic269 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:53 am

I would like to thank duck dynasty for an influx of face painted newbs to the sport of duck hunting . The boat ramps for early teal packed with brand new camo clad surface drive boats and lanyards full of colorful mallard calls . Kinda had a feeling that this would happen lol . Dont get me wrong , its great to be interested in duck hunting but i have seen first hand whats to come this season. Any one have any good stories of newbs setting up on u or anything like ???
duckmedic269
hunter

Postby chris_k » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:04 am

I think Duck Dynasty is a great thing for getting younger people started in the sport. Nothing wrong with noobs .... Everybody has to start somewhere.
As far as face paint goes, to each his own. I dont judge people for painting their face ... It certainly will not hurt their hunting and who cares how they look?
If you look silly with a painted face, the only one that cares is you, cause yhe ducks dont care
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Re: Thank you duck dynasty !!!

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:19 am

I go to the areas where I don't have to be around them. However first morning of early had a couple youngins come in 15 min to LST and set up not knowing where they were going and having their outboard whine for water cuz it was covered in vegetation.ill admit to the face paint cuz I did it before but then again it just adds to the excitement of the hunt. And its not as hot as wearing a facemask in 85 degree weather.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:24 am

I won't belittle anyone wearing facepaint. A mask limits your field of vision, and gets hot on warm hunts. I don't do it often, but there are occasions where it is practical and appropriate.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby duckmedic269 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:19 pm

Like i said before dont get me wrong ...its good that it brought intrest to the sport and young ones definately will carry on the tradition for us , just thought it was comical at the influx of hunters that has come to be ... and did i mention that i even heard at the ramp .....well those duck commander guys make it look so easy lol .face paint running down their faces n all . .. that post sounds way more harsh than intended ..
duckmedic269
hunter

Postby duckmedic269 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:32 pm

Also its not a face paint vs mask thing ..... just found it ammusing that u hardly saw that until that show became popular . Amd yes i watch and like the show . But they should also have a segment about proper behavior and manners on the marsh
duckmedic269
hunter

Postby Tuff5254 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:43 pm

Just keep in mind that at one point in time we were all the "newbie" on the lake. Unfortunately i myself did not have anyone to show me the ropes so it was a shot in the dark my first season. Im sure that my boat was the talk of the ramp a time or two for the dumb stuff we did (and didn’t do).
It just always amuses me that senior hunters always have the " Youll never believe what i saw some newbie doing this morning" story but none of the stories ever end in.... "So at the end of the hunt i waited for them and offered some advice (or to take them out and show them the ropes) so that it doesn’t happen again” All im sayin is that if your not part of the solution your part of the problem. If your not willing to spend a few mins at the ramp explaining things to the new guys like leave your mallard calls and green head decoys at home then who are we to complain when they continue to do dumb stuff?? And yes, some people can not be helped (ran into a few of those) but i think you will see a simple "hey guys its kinda good educate around here to be to your spot X amount of mins before shoot time" will go a long way.
Just some things to think about next time you see some "newbie" at the boat ramp.
Tuff5254
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:57 pm

I completely understand with what the original post regarding Duck Dynasty bringing folks out of the wood works. Everyone here has to agree that it does lead to some humerous situation.

With that, Tuff brings up a valid point regarding us doing our part to help pass on knowledge in the field.

However, I must say that sometimes those of us who have been doing this for a while may do some things out in the marsh that lead spectators to think that we too are the "Newbs" of the sport. Or atleast I have, on multiple occasions, we all get excited out there.

During early teal, I slid out of my hybrid expecting it to be about three feet deep, and was I wrong. I can promise you that the guys set up about 100 yards from me probably got a great laugh watching me try and pull myself up into my hybrid, but every time I tried, my weight simply caused the nose to raise... My hunting partner got a good laugh. Or when I put on too much face paint and showed back up to the launch looking like a completely different ethnicity... This was even more amusing when I still had the paint on when I tried to drive onto the Military base where I live.

Not only the rookies have bloopers in their home made hunting videos.... I swear I thought that mottled was just a giant teal..
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby FlatLiner13 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:05 pm

Duck Dynasty has brought a lot of new people mostly young guns into the mix of duck hunting. Which I find is great, especially now when at school they have liberal teachers(for the most part) and their favorite tv channel is MTV. I am all for people getting into the outdoors and off their game systems. But yes they do need to learn the ropes and then some.
As for face paint, I wear glasses (have since a young kid). My dad started me out painting my face when we were in a tree stand and he looked at me one cool morning and laughed when he saw my lenses all foggy. Since then I (19 or so years ago) I now throw some paint on my face whether on the water duck hunting or in a tree stand. If I could wear a mask that was comfortable and didn't fog my glasses I would wear one. So the face painting maybe more of a trend now, but I also think more of us are noticing those who paint their faces even more... Lets face it I never heard of it being an issue or even noticing the paint on face's until this show came about, did you guys?
FlatLiner13
hunter

Proud NOOB Duck hunting for 5yrs!

Postby JAXDuckMan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:26 pm

408783_2182068365433_1658695996_1600904_159541687_n[1].jpg
NOOBs bring in cash into the hunting biz. Conservation is the key "word" without it all this space is for sale. No one person owns it people come and go this includes your favorite spot....I support new people to start hunting and get "plugged in" without it what we do is gone. Unless your rich and can afford your own hunting preserve? this is why hunting has died out in other countries. In the 80s Florida had over 3 million hunters now its under a million. We need to stick to gether and share our sport, welcome others, take newbies " I do every year". Otherwise the cites and 26 million people in florida will be gland to develop your honeyhole and it will be gone for good......
2012/13 season
16-BW teal
16 Bluebills
1 hog, 5 more hogs with friends.
JAXDuckMan
hunter

Postby chris_k » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:27 pm

I rather have a bunch of kids painting their face, skybusting and joking around in the lake, than doing drugs and shoplifting.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Re: Re: Thank you duck dynasty !!!

Postby whaknstak » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:36 pm

chris_k wrote:I rather have a bunch of kids painting their face, skybusting and joking around in the lake, than doing drugs and shoplifting.

Absolutely Chris!
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:56 pm

yeah who cares really......
You pay for you!

Re: Proud NOOB Duck hunting for 5yrs!

Postby FlaWoodie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:59 pm

JAXDuckMan wrote:
408783_2182068365433_1658695996_1600904_159541687_n[1].jpg
NOOBs bring in cash into the hunting biz. Conservation is the key "word" without it all this space is for sale. No one person owns it people come and go this includes your favorite spot....I support new people to start hunting and get "plugged in" without it what we do is gone. Unless your rich and can afford your own hunting preserve? this is why hunting has died out in other countries. In the 80s Florida had over 3 million hunters now its under a million. We need to stick to gether and share our sport, welcome others, take newbies " I do every year". Otherwise the cites and 26 million people in florida will be gland to develop your honeyhole and it will be gone for good......

oh and FTR hunting and fishing are both up around 9% from the last survey taken in 2006! i posted a thread about it a little while back with soe more exact #'s. First time hunting has been on the rise for decades, i guess we should thank our face paint warriors, and women too! Just bought my old lady a bow for her birthday maybe I'll get her plugged and I wont care if she wants to wear facepaint or not, like you said more $ for conservation=hunting for our future.
You pay for you!

Postby hunt-chessies » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Well first off i was painting my face and crushing mallards WAY BEFORE it was a fashion statment and i still believe in it today.....

I personally think anything that get's more people interested is better. It's up to those of us that live it and breath it to steer these people to DU, Delta, and UWF here at home. They may be here today and gone tomorrow but if WE ALL want to be here tomorrow and have anything left we need the numbers and the $$$$ and shows like this are a way to do that. I'm all for it.... plus they promote redneck with christian values, how do you go wrong??

Phil is my idol, just sayin!!
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby Big-g77 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:50 pm

Im a newb just going to go out and say it iv never duck hunted, sure duck dynasty may have influened me a little bit but i have some good friends that are going to show me how its done atleast this season... so i dont look like a jacka** out there but to be honest it really just gives me an excuse to get out of the house and have fun dont really care if i kill anything or not. :yes:
Big-g77
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:58 am

Big-g77 wrote:Im a newb just going to go out and say it iv never duck hunted, sure duck dynasty may have influened me a little bit but i have some good friends that are going to show me how its done atleast this season... so i dont look like a jacka** out there but to be honest it really just gives me an excuse to get out of the house and have fun dont really care if i kill anything or not. :yes:

So far, your headed in the right direction. You've asked some solid questions and gotten some really good advice. Use it, and I can guarantee, you'll have fun.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby Coonrod » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:02 am

I'm a newb, too. I mean brand new, wet behind the ears, enthusiastic but clueless. I have read and read (and purchased stuff) but eventually I figure you have to get out there and learn on the water. My priorities are to stay legal, not infringe upon other hunters, property owners, etc., and start figuring out how these birds work. I figure if I can do that, I can tolerate people laughing at me as I learn the curve. I don't really know anyone who duck hunts, all my friends are deer hunters... but until I can find a mentor, I'll try to stay out of everyone's way . As for Duck Commander, it's coincidental that the show is on now at the same time I'm starting duck hunting, and can't say it has influenced me at all as far as this type of hunting. It has made me want to grow a huge beard when I get older though.
Coonrod
hunter

Postby FreedomHunter » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:04 pm

Okay, so I can't understand the Noob aggravation if they are just new, when they are flat out rude its a different story, like seeing a boat set up and then they set up 50 yards away from you. Actually had this happen to me last week, but I don't think they were noobs, just rude. (Whats the difference in that situation?) If you a polite person on the marsh and are a professional or a noob there should be no problems. I went out this morning and was going to my spot and was running a little late (new 3 week old baby) by the time I was on the marsh and 200 yards in there was a boat that was set up close to that location and I did not see him. At that time, he decided to flash me with his spot light. No problem, I moved my boat out (oh its an outboard and it does make to much noise and is a lot quieter than a mud motor, 4 stroke) and went to a totally different location. The problem seems to be that new people sometimes don't know any better, say the mallard calls all the time, and the group that thinks they are professionals think that they are owed something, like I have been hunting this location for 100 years. Public land is public land and if your being rude, noob or not, your the reason why a lot of people don't like beginners and hunters in general.

I have been fishing the Mosquito Lagoon since I was 15. When someone new is getting into fishing I don't tell him to get lost or laugh at him because he owns a Wal-Mart fishing rod. I tell that person where to find the reds or trout and how to better their experience. I truly understand people don't want to give away their spots for fish, deer, duck, or whatever and for me half the fun and accomplishment is finding them yourself. You don't have to tell people where to go but you can help people in other ways, how about telling someone at the dock that the mallard calls will do you more harm than good, if you use it like an instrument all day, what dekes work best, or just a casual conversation to keep people interested in the sport and showing them how they should be.

I hope the people on this site are not rude and don't believe they are, seeing that I learned a lot of information from all of you before I went out on my first season, 2012!
FreedomHunter
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting