New to Duck Hunting

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

New to Duck Hunting

Postby Big-g77 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:00 pm

Im a beginner Duck hunter and I was wondering if there any tips that yall could give me. im also looking for a good duck boat with a mud motor.
Big-g77
hunter

New to Duck Hunting

Postby chris_k » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:48 pm

1. Know your body of water and get very familiar with it.
2. Scout well ahead of season, and during the season.
3. Get to your spot early. Have many backup spots in case someone is there when you get there.
4. Set up well away from other hunters. If you can see the other hunter's decoys ... You are too close. 200-300 yards at a minimum.
5. Be nice to other hunters. Ask them questions at the boat ramp.
6. Don't shoot at birds that are past your shooting range. I like to kill my birds when they are 10-20 yards away.
7. Match the hatch. Use decoy species that match the bird you are hunting.
8. Grow a beard. Women like it.
9. Take duck hunting seriously. Do it to the best of your abilities and always try to better yourself as a hunter. Learn as much as you can!
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Re: New to Duck Hunting

Postby waterdogds » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:50 am

chris_k wrote:1. Know your body of water and get very familiar with it.
2. Scout well ahead of season, and during the season.
3. Get to your spot early. Have many backup spots in case someone is there when you get there.
4. Set up well away from other hunters. If you can see the other hunter's decoys ... You are too close. 200-300 yards at a minimum.
5. Be nice to other hunters. Ask them questions at the boat ramp.
6. Don't shoot at birds that are past your shooting range. I like to kill my birds when they are 10-20 yards away.
7. Match the hatch. Use decoy species that match the bird you are hunting.
8. Grow a beard. Women like it.
9. Take duck hunting seriously. Do it to the best of your abilities and always try to better yourself as a hunter. Learn as much as you can!

Great post. :thumbsup:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:24 am

Chris_K said it best.

I would also say to try and get in on some hunts with experienced hunters that are willing to share knowledge. There is much that you can learn simply by spending a little time at the ramp before and after the hunt as well.

Don't think that you have to have everything they sell in the magazines. A gun, shells, waders, a few decoys, and a thermocell are a good start. Don't even bother with calls until you get to practice in the off season.. Maybe just buy a teal whistle for now if you feel the need.

Leave the area that you hunt better than you found it. Meaning, if you see a little bit of trash laying around, pick it up if possible.

Most important in my opinion is simply be safe. You are going to see people who do not respect others, or mother nature.. but don't assume that this is the standard by which all live by. One good deed witnessed by another can go a long way.

The internet can be a good tool to study bodies of water that you want to hunt, but it wont hold a candle to actually going out and getting familiar with the area. Its going to look much different at night than it does during the day.

Happy hunting, and enjoy the addiction.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:32 am

Rule number 1: dont f#%k up
Rule number 2: remember rule number 1
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:36 am

tknight006 wrote:Chris_K said it best.

I would also say to try and get in on some hunts with experienced hunters that are willing to share knowledge. There is much that you can learn simply by spending a little time at the ramp before and after the hunt as well.

Don't think that you have to have everything they sell in the magazines. A gun, shells, waders, a few decoys, and a thermocell are a good start. Don't even bother with calls until you get to practice in the off season.. Maybe just buy a teal whistle for now if you feel the need.

Leave the area that you hunt better than you found it. Meaning, if you see a little bit of trash laying around, pick it up if possible.

Most important in my opinion is simply be safe. You are going to see people who do not respect others, or mother nature.. but don't assume that this is the standard by which all live by. One good deed witnessed by another can go a long way.

The internet can be a good tool to study bodies of water that you want to hunt, but it wont hold a candle to actually going out and getting familiar with the area. Its going to look much different at night than it does during the day.

Happy hunting, and enjoy the addiction.

That's also some really sound advice Trey :clapping: . Especially leaving an area better than you found it. :thumbsup:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby bdub » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:56 am

this will only be my 3rd season so I dont know a whole lot but some quick things I have been able to pick up on are:

cyber scouting is a big no no with the guys on here. Dont ask where the birds are and dont tell everyone where you see birds. you will be over run with boats the next day.

I started hunting with a kayak and 12 decoys. I was able to do fairly well with just that set up.

If your near the tally area, shoot me a pm and I am always looking for someone to share my addiction with :beer:
bdub
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:52 am

Where in FL are you located?
tknight006
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Other than my Jon Boat and guns.... I can fit everything I need against the wall of a one car garage.. for the most part. I have deeks in the shed, but they rarely see water.

tknight006
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:46 pm

Sweet hybrid. :thumbsup:
waterdogds
hunter

Postby ffrodelgnim » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:51 am

Get some sort of robo-duck, they can draw ducks in extremely well. I like the mojo teal. Dont get lost whereever you go, travel your path during the day before getting out there in the dark. Are you hunting ponds onland or going in a boat for the marshland/coast?
ffrodelgnim
hunter

Postby Big-g77 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Thanks for all the help everyone im located near Tallahassee, so if any one looking for a hunting buddy hit me up.
Big-g77
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting