Season Preparations

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Season Preparations

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:28 pm

What has everyone been up to? Forum has been quiet for a while. Anybody been getting things together for the opener?

Ive been running the boat and making sure everything is operating properly...
pike resize.jpg

Getting long lines on decoys
ll resize.jpg

And of course sighting in the shotgun
squirrel.jpg

Anybody else been making any pre season preparations??? :beer:
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Re: Season Preparations

Postby hunt-chessies » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:11 am

Well i'm STILL on an 8 month deployment so i havent done anything to prepare except watch every hunting video i own 10 times!!! LOL

I get back soon and i got a list of stuff to get done and not alot of time to do it in. I got a half finished boat with a new motor on it that needs paint, floors, gas lines run, blind installed, and winch put on it.

My second boat (Hybrid NL) needs rewired and some touchup paint/grassing on it

I got decoys to pull out and restring

My dog has been a house pet since last season so he needs a boot camp to get his butt in hunting shape and frame of mind

My 3rd boat (Mo Marsh) is sitting at home in two pieces. It needs to be put together, painted, and all the accesories set up on it so its ready to hunt.

Guns need cleaned, gear gone thru, i haven't scouted ANYTHING yet..... yeah i'll be busy

OHH and yeah i went and bought a puppy so i got to go get him, build a kennel for him, and get all that stuff set up. Yep, plenty to do!!!!! LOL :beer:
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby whaknstak » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:45 am

I'm just about with you Jeremy. I have my trailer to fix, blind to attach, lights to wire, and scouting to do. I am slammed at work and have limited access to where my boat is stored. Hopefully ill get a lot done this weekend
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:31 am

X2 on the trailer. After blowing out the bearings on mine and having to grind off the welded seal on the spindle I finally got it back on the road and greased up. All thats left to do is gas up and scout.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby sdeshazo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:20 am

Oh yea been getting a new Mo Marsh ready for the season & the dog.
1548 Legend Craft with a MB 4oooS
MoMarsh Fatboy DP
Boykin Spaniel
sdeshazo
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:22 am

sdeshazo wrote:Oh yea been getting a new Mo Marsh ready for the season & the dog.

What kind of motor are you going to run on your Mo Marsh?
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby sdeshazo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:07 am

waterdogds wrote:
sdeshazo wrote:Oh yea been getting a new Mo Marsh ready for the season & the dog.

I bought the Mo Marsh thinking I would just pole or paddle it, but I do have a 55 pound trolling motor that would work on it. I have two friends that have them & we were thinking about pulling them all behind my larger duck boat for a ringer hunt.
MoMarsh Fatboy DP
Boykin Spaniel
sdeshazo
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:32 am

sdeshazo wrote:
waterdogds wrote:

I bought the Mo Marsh thinking I would just pole or paddle it, but I do have a 55 pound trolling motor that would work on it. I have two friends that have them & we were thinking about pulling them all behind my larger duck boat for a ringer hunt.

Very nice rigs. One of my tops on the wish list. :thumbsup: Post up some pics.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby sdeshazo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:41 am

Here is one right after I got it of my son with it in the pool, then the next is it ready to hunt.

MoMarsh Fatboy DP
Boykin Spaniel
sdeshazo
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:35 pm

Nice :thumbsup:
waterdogds
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:54 pm

How much do those Mo-Marsh typically run for? Id Like to have a layout, but then again I would need a tender for the area Id be hunting.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:39 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:How much do those Mo-Marsh typically run for? Id Like to have a layout, but then again I would need a tender for the area Id be hunting.

Last time I looked, they're right at $1300.00 before shipping. Shipping is around $400.00 to N. Florida I think. This boat ups your level of concealment. I don't believe I've ever heard any owners complain about one. Good investment IMO.
waterdogds
hunter

Season Preparations

Postby sdeshazo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:18 am

When u say $1300 that is just the boat, not including the seat, doors, motor bracket, fast grass, etc, etc. you can quickly get in we'll over 2k on a ready to hunt momarsh.
MoMarsh Fatboy DP
Boykin Spaniel
sdeshazo
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:18 am

yeah the Mo Marsh are hands down one of the best things running for a poor man looking to do everything with one rig. Fully outfitted your at about 3K but that's a heck of a lot less then a full size boat.

My buddy runs one with all the bells and whistles. He's got a nice pole for the pole/paddle marshes, a 55LBS trolling motor for the those marshes (and it hauls with that sucker on there), then he's got a tricked out 7HP stump jumper longtail for everywhere else. That stump jumer pushes him, dog, and gear around 12 MPH in open water!!! That's crazy for that little thing. I'm trying to set mine up very similar to his just for the shear ability to adapt to any regulations in a matter of seconds. many a times he went places my full size boat with a MM couldnt just cause he can use a push pole and slide over stuff i can't plow thru..... the ONLY limitation is your hunting solo. But most everyone we hunt with now has that or a Hybrid so it dont really matter to us.

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby whaknstak » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Reworked my wiring this afternoon. Got the blind frame mounted. Need to put on the mats, and put new bearings on the trailer and I'm ready to hunt.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:04 pm

hunt-chessies wrote:yeah the Mo Marsh are hands down one of the best things running for a poor man looking to do everything with one rig. Fully outfitted your at about 3K but that's a heck of a lot less then a full size boat.

My buddy runs one with all the bells and whistles. He's got a nice pole for the pole/paddle marshes, a 55LBS trolling motor for the those marshes (and it hauls with that sucker on there), then he's got a tricked out 7HP stump jumper longtail for everywhere else. That stump jumer pushes him, dog, and gear around 12 MPH in open water!!! That's crazy for that little thing. I'm trying to set mine up very similar to his just for the shear ability to adapt to any regulations in a matter of seconds. many a times he went places my full size boat with a MM couldnt just cause he can use a push pole and slide over stuff i can't plow thru..... the ONLY limitation is your hunting solo. But most everyone we hunt with now has that or a Hybrid so it dont really matter to us.

Is your buddy standing up while using the longtail? I would be scared as hell if I ran a longtail in that. What would you hold on to?

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:53 am

yeah he runs it standing up.... it's shocking how stable that sucker is. Being a MM guy i know it's a matter of time before he gets ejected but still it's really the only way to drive that thing. I've gotten a little stick time in it and it was pretty easy to drive actaully.

hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:31 am

Interesting. I have a 14' Jon boat with a 9.9 and I use a 3' piece of 2" PVC on my tiller that can slide on and off easily so I can stand while driving too, but if there is a chop on the water my butt is sitting down. Its helpful though when Im searching for an area in the darkness because I dont have to shine around the person in front of me, instead I just go over them. However, if I hit a stump with the motor or boat, and I have on occasion (luckily not at full throttle), my butt goes forward enough to jolt me of my balance. I couldnt imagine hitting a stump in that Momarsh. Hopefully he wears an automatic inflatable life vest.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Season Preparations

Postby JAXcrisp » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:12 pm

Chessies, what has your buddy done to his stumpjumper? Tricking mine out is on my list haha

JAXcrisp
JAXcrisp
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting