Kayak hunting help

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Kayak hunting help

Postby Big-g77 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:00 pm

how effective is hunting with a kayak? im located in north florida and due to my size it would have to be a 14ft. kayak. would it be good for a beginner or just a pain in the a**. also what kind of decoys should i start out with and what calls. need some feedback :help:
Big-g77
hunter

Re: Kayak hunting help

Postby FlaWoodie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:18 pm

which lake in n. florida?

effective, yes. sometimes more effective than expensive boat blinds that are real big and often unnatural looking. just paint it camo....this might seem super obvious but to some it isn't and they paddle around in blaze orange kayaks :no: .....

Ringneck, coots, teal. as many as you can carry or pull without being a pain....have fun tryin to keepin yourself dry....dont forget that life jacket if there is alot of boat traffic where you plant to hunt. have some lights on it or on your head so ppl dont swamp you on accident. although some kid in daddies paid for surface drive rig are still gonna make life he** for you, and even some adults.....

personally i would wear waders for the purpose of keeping myself dry more effectively but some might disagree i think there was a big argument on whether or not they will drown u or not, might wanna check that thread out....no calls be where they wanna be, and know this by scouting as much as you can...goodluck! :thumbsup:
You pay for you!

Postby waterdogds » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:29 pm

Kayaks' are great for the beginner. I think it would be a great way to learn the area you're wanting to hunt. While the kayak will give you increased accessibility to many places, at the same time, it can have its limits as well. A 14' kayak will be much more stable than a shorter one. :thumbsup: You can pick up a half dozen ring neck decoys for about $40 or so. You don't necessarily need a call, but if you want one, get a teal whistle.Our area here in N. Florida can be a real fun place to hunt out of a kayak. Try and keep it simple and have fun. Good luck this season and welcome. :welcome:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:37 pm

What these two said /\

Just please paint it. Nothing worse than hunting right next to a yellow yak.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby Big-g77 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:40 pm

thank you for the help looking forward to this season :biggrin:
Big-g77
hunter

Postby ghmIV » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:26 pm

The other guys had good responses. I do like to wear waders in my kayak because they help to keep you dry. If I have alot of gear I pull a slide behind me. Become familiar with your kayak in the daylight during the summer. In the dark in the winter with all your gear (including shotgun) is not the time to learn how to maneuver the kayak. The kayak will become tipsy on the straight above you shot (I know). Remember that during early teal there are active things in the water that are as big as the kayak and always, always wear your life jacket.
ghmIV
hunter

Postby bdub » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:07 am

I dont usually hunt from my kayak. I almost always set up in a place where i can wade next to my kayak and use it as a rest for my gun. That wont always be the case. Before you decide your gonna buy a orange or yellow kayak, keep looking for a natural color kayak that way you can just cover the kayak and you wont have to worry about painting it. Paint comes off of a kayak with easy so painting become a very time consuming issue during the season. i made a grass cover for my kayak that rolls up and is easy to tranport. Only cost me about 30 bucks to make and most of it was the price of the raffia grass.

O and my kayak is a Sit on top. Makes it easy to get in and out of. If you get a sit IN kayak it might be tuff for you to get in and out of.
bdub
hunter

Postby Wetland_Dream » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:16 am

Exactly what they said. Pm me if you want i can give you tips on how to make a simple portable blind for your yak. Personally when i hunt out of a kayak, when i get it concealed and covered i sit sideways on the kayak with my legs in the water. Its alot more stable that way then actually hunting in the paddling position.
Wetland_Dream
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:19 pm

If you're looking for something to use specifically for duck hunting, look into the hellbender double-end 10'. I love my kayak (ocean kayak trident 13) for fishing, and it would probably make a good duck boat, but for hunting I'll choose my hellbender every time. The hellbender has a flat bottom, making it a much more stable platform than the kayak. I can stand in my hellbender and pole with relative ease...I wouldn't even try that in my kayak. The hellbender also has a lower profile and is going to be easier to conceal than a kayak, and weighs less than 50lbs.

If you still decide to go with a kayak, I do recommend looking at the OK trident series...I prefer my hellbender for hunting, but I've yet to see a kayak that looked like it would make a better duck boat. There's a storage compartment called the "rod pod" on my kayak that allows me to store lots of gear inside the kayak. If I ever decide to hunt out of my 'yak, you better believe my gun and anything I don't want to lose or get wet will be in there anytime I'm en route.

**Just as a side note, you can probably find a used Gheenoe on craigslist for around the same cost as a decent kayak, and they also make great duck boats. I have one of those too...I think I have a problem. :help:
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby bdub » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:59 pm

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I think I have a problem. :help:

Understatement of the Year!
bdub
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:32 pm

I'm a firm believer in the "never have too many hobbies or toys" principle. I also eat a lot of peanut butter sandwiches, and I can make a pizza hut pizza last for days...
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting