FWC encounters

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

FWC encounters

Postby whaknstak » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:02 am

Simply curious, when you encounter a wildlife officer, how did it go? Good, bad, treated with respect? What is your perception of FWC?

Note: This is not a thread to bash Leos, but good or bad, post up your experience with game wardens you have run across.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

FWC encounters

Postby JAXcrisp » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:41 am

Last time I got pulled over they were UNDERCOVER. And said that all FWC is moving in that direction. Just two guys fishing on a flats boat with a tiny little LED light strip on the poling platform.

Nice guys though

JAXcrisp
JAXcrisp
hunter

Re: FWC encounters

Postby tknight006 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:53 am

I've had a few encounters, but they were nice in all situations.

Even when I was in the wrong one time, they let me go with a warning.

Now if they find my baited fields, that may be a different story :grooving:
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby bbbb » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:57 am

Depends on if the encounter results in a ticket or not. :no:

99% of my encounters have turned out well and I thought the officer was doing exactly what his job asks of him.

I'm not going to fault the system because of one bad apple on a power trip. Maybe the previous person he checked gave him a hard time and he took it out on me. Don't know, don't care. It was over 10 years ago.

Now Georgia DNR is another story. I've never been given a break by them.
bbbb
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:24 pm

I've had several FWC encounters over the years, and can only remember 2 being "bad". Neither of the bad experiences were the result of getting in trouble (I didn't) but were the result of officers' attitudes. Also, both of those encounters involved fishing, not hunting, and happened nearly 10 years ago. Since then I've been checked numerous times after fishing and hunting, and every experience I've had has been a positive one. Be courteous and respectful and they'll treat you the same way...I've been stopped for several minor violations that resulted from carelessness on my part (forgetting my wallet&license at home, forgetting to bring an extra lifejacket for someone, etc.) and could have easily resulted in an expensive ticket, but I've always been polite to the officers that stopped me, and so far I've only received warnings. If you're rude and disrespectful, I can almost guarantee you that you'll get a ticket. I watched a couple of @****** at the landing last year walk away with hefty fines because they were rude and argumentative from the start. Had they kept their mouths shut, they would have gotten lucky and walked away with a warning for lifejackets and a whistle...but they ran their mouths, and pissed off officers are much more inclined to check everything out thoroughly. I don't know what all they got caught with, but that officer was still writing them tickets when I drove off 10 minutes later, and their birds were confiscated.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:56 pm

Like Duck Dawg said, ive only had a couple bad experiences with FWC, and its been in saltwater. Sometimes it seems like the officers there are looking for something to give you a ticket on, and trust me they can find a reason. I've never had an issue with them duck hunting. ive heard of some bad experiences with game and fish in Georgia. But in leon and the surrounding counties ive never had a problem. Ive seen the undercover boats on the water and they usually are looking to catch people doing something in the act red handed. The marked boats will stop you and if they get a bad vibe from you or anything they will search your boat.
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby sdeshazo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:11 pm

Like above I've never really had a bad run in where I was not treated properly. I did get checked by four different Officers, at different times one morning at PCS, I must have looked guility...
I'm really glad they are out there doing the job.

We flipped a airboat one night in Lake O & I was sure glad when I saw FWC comming to get us.
1548 Legend Craft with a MB 4oooS
MoMarsh Fatboy DP
Boykin Spaniel
sdeshazo
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:54 pm

Never had problems myself. Funniest I ever saw was a officer write a guy a ticket for not having the free mig bird permit lol. remember that mitchell? :fingerhead:
You pay for you!

Postby whaknstak » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Ya Justin I do lol. that was a little over the top, although the officer was nice while writing it. bet he has it next time! I have only had one bad experience myself with dozens of great encounters. My only sour experience was after an evening duck hunt. It was dark, and I believe the officer was a little on edge. All other times I was met with courtesy and the officer was professional.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:20 pm

Ha ha where he accused you of being a drug cartel?????? lol you gotta be careful when your transporting that dope man! :fingerpt: ha!
You pay for you!

Postby waterdogds » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:54 am

I would have to say, that most, if not all of my experiences with FWC have been pretty standard. I've only had one bad experience, and that was with an off duty warden, who was headed home to Chattahoochee from a stupid FSU basketball game in Tallahassee. He passed by where we were parked beside highway 90 in Gadsden county. Me and the guys with me, were stopped outside of some private property we were all bow hunting. We only stopped to organize our gear and get some plans together. The warden pulls up and starts asking questions. All but one of us was polite. The warden then proceeds to accuse us of taking a deer from the roadside. This is where it gets good. Because he was off duty, he was in his civilian vehicle. So he calls a Gadsden county sheriff deputy to the scene so he can leave and drive 45 minutes to his residence where his FWC truck is. An hour and a half later, he shows back up with ticket book in hand and proceeds to check us all more thoroughly. Only one of us got a ticket, but I thought this was pretty excessive and a waist of state resources. I now tell anyone that hunts with me, keep the smart ass comments to yourself in the event we are stopped and checked. No exceptions.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:28 pm

I work in law enforcement and I've been to training with a few guys. Some are good and some are bad...just like hunters/fisherman. It's a roll of the dice.

I've been checked several times in FL:

Checked by the Federal Boys in St Marks when we were scalloping, super nice and he still owes me a dang patch.

Once we were drinking on St George Island in the State Park...completely forgot you couldnt have berr in there...very nice, we poured the few beer we had left out and kept on fishing. Just a verbal warning.

Been checked scalloping at St Joe while in the Kayak, super nice guy. Didn't check us, said he was more worried about idiots with out dive flags and idiots running through scallopers on the big boats.

Checked at PCS, more times than I can count. Very nice. One warning for me and my wife got a warning also b/c my duck stamp was signed and stuck on my GA license. He said it needed to be on my FL license. Very nice at every road block I've been through. They need to be there more, even though they are in the ponds....undercover at times.

Checked at a STA the only time we went, easy and very nice.

I don't mind dropping a dime on an idiot in a New York minute when someone is doing something over the top, so the FWC is on speed dial.

IN GA:
Checked at Seminole a bazillion times. I know most of them. One is a royal prick the rest are stand up guys/gals. Also checked by the Federal Boys...royal pricks X's ten..only b/c they went about it the wrong way and I thought they were trying to pump us for info on where the birds were.

Checked several times in GA by our local guy. Super nice and he even came and pulled us out of a bad situation.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby sigalphjoe44 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:07 pm

Ive had a few run ins with Mr. Green Jeans and they all have been good encounters. a few times I was in the wrong for minor stuff and they treated me very fair. Ive also had experiences with "gung ho" guys on a mission but they couldnt find anything to ticket me on. I know the game wardens in my area and talk to them whenever i can and they are good guys. I'm actually happy they are out there and ensuring the clowns of the outdoors are dealt with. I view it like this, all the guys that we complain about having poor hunting etiquette are more likely than not the kinds of guys Mr. Green Jeans is gonna have a field day with and subsequently will be discouraged from hunting or if we get lucky enough BANNED! So I like the wardens and welcome them to my stomping grounds. Sometimes I wish there were more. Just my .02
sigalphjoe44
hunter

Postby QuacknStrut » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:53 am

I teach FWC and other LEO officers from around the state. Only had one bad run in from FWC and it all involved a misunderstanding. His LT showed up and we hashed it out. I always talk to him and others when I run into them. No biggie.

Had a major issue with a Park Ranger and a DEP officer. Major. Involved lawyers and Internal Affairs investigation (for which I testified). It all came out okay for me and my group, but it was scary for a few months. Convicted? Nope, never convicted. :hi:
QuacknStrut
hunter

Postby irishff727 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:10 pm

Only ever had one bad encounter and it was bad, guess I caught him on and bad day and I will say his bad attitude kind of rubbed off on me. Got 2 tickets that I didn't agree with so I chose to fight them. Went to court on both and the fwc showed and he even admitted he was having a bad day that the tix weren't deserved. I now go fishing with the guy now and then

really? really?
irishff727
hunter

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:13 pm

QuacknStrut wrote:I teach FWC and other LEO officers from around the state. Only had one bad run in from FWC and it all involved a misunderstanding. His LT showed up and we hashed it out. I always talk to him and others when I run into them. No biggie.

Had a major issue with a Park Ranger and a DEP officer. Major. Involved lawyers and Internal Affairs investigation (for which I testified). It all came out okay for me and my group, but it was scary for a few months. Convicted? Nope, never convicted. :hi:

What do you do? I'm a POST Certified Instructor in Georgia.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby QuacknStrut » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:02 pm

I teach at a local Law Enforcement Academy. Just one class a year. Just get to meet a lot of folks. Also serve on a board that sets standards for training.
QuacknStrut
hunter

Postby jedisme » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:26 am

I got a "fix-it ticket" once, forgot my wallet at home was in GA guy was nice was going to let me go if I could recite my boat registration number. I guess knowing my drivers lisence number wasn't enough :) not a big deal 5$ and a trip to Bainbridge.
jedisme
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting