Pattern question

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Pattern question

Postby irishff727 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:19 am

Ok I posted up here asking about shell and shot size to use and also which if my two shotguns would be the better of the two. Got out the other day and shot both with a few different types of rounds. Question is how tight of a pattern am I looking for? Is there such thing as to tight for duck hunting.

really? really?
irishff727
hunter

Re: Pattern question

Postby Tuff5254 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:36 pm

Its all going to depend on a few things. Are you mostly pass shooting? Shooting over decoys? Close range? Long range? Its all factors when looking at chokes and patterns. I will tell you that most people shoot a modified choke, its good for passing shots and over decoys and keeps good range. Whether the pattern is too tight or not is up to your shooting abilities, again modified is prob the best. I shoot a Full out of my NOVA 20ga and will say that if you shoot a FULL choke you better be on it!!.
Heres what i would do: Go to the range and take a few pieces of regular computer printer paper and turn it long ways (landscape) and shoot at them from 20 30 and 40 yds. Use both guns with all different chokes and all different rounds, When your done look at the papers and find the gun/choke/ammo combo that gives you the most pellets on the paper consistently and you will find your perfect combo.
Tuff5254
hunter

Re: Pattern question

Postby irishff727 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks for the info gives me a reason to go back to the range

really? really?
irishff727
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting