Waterfowl dogs in Florida

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Postby TooheyBirdie14 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi all....pretty new to duck hunting and I've been training my dog Toohey to retrieve for a while now....does pretty good with doves but I'm kind of conerned with duck hunting. Are there any places you guys won't hunt your dogs because of alligators?
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff....
TooheyBirdie14
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:52 pm

I've never had an issue with gators. With the gator season this year being right before hunting season the gators seem skittish. As long as you've had days where it's been cooler weather you shouldn't need to be to concerned. You might see them around but they will be too cold to bother you. Just use common sense
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Re: Waterfowl dogs in Florida

Postby hunt-chessies » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:22 am

I hunt my dog all season long. Stay out of rim canals, PERIOD. shine the area good before the hunt. Use some common sence and make sure your dog is under control from the moment you pull him/her off the truck until the second you put it back on the truck!! Honestly the rim canals and boat ramps scare me more than the open marsh. 4 years hunting a dog in FL and EVERY encounter i've had has been at one of these two places. Never really had an issue in the decoys. We hunt north and south Florida.
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 am

I shot a salt marsh on saturday...as soon as a got set up we had a gator within 30 yards. I couldn't tell just how big it was until I waded over to it. It was only around 4 foot but that's the only one we saw...knock on wood. I try and not let her do long retrieves or anything in the thick stuff until it gets colder.

On the other hand, I scouted PCS before teal season and counted 12 in the first hour I was there. Three were over 10 foot. I've used mine there but I've stopped. Last day of season we had a 11/12fter eat a few ringnecks out of the decoys.

I grew up on Seminole and we see gators year round.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:01 pm

seminole_sigmanu wrote:On the other hand, I scouted PCS before teal season and counted 12 in the first hour I was there. Three were over 10 foot. I've used mine there but I've stopped. Last day of season we had a 11/12fter eat a few ringnecks out of the decoys.

There are some monsters out there and the waters too deep. Definitely not a dog friendly place IMO.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting