Guana lake hunting/water level

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Guana lake hunting/water level

Postby fonda » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:59 pm

I am going to try out Guana this weekend but have never navigated it. I have a 14ft v hull boat with a 10hp. Can anyone give me any idea about the water level, channels navigating at night etc. Thanks
fonda
hunter

Re: Guana lake hunting/water level

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:03 pm

Season is closed right now...perfect time to run the lake and familiarize yourself with the area. They lowered the water level for duck season at the beginning of november, so expect it to be shallow.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby dogyak » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:03 pm

Hope you were scouting and not hunting . At Dawg , going to do some retriever training this weekend , want to come , there will be some others out there too that you can meet , let me know .
dogyak
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:12 pm

Won't be in town this weekend. Driving home to pick up some stuff and watch the national championship, excuse me, SEC championship game with my dad...should be a good one.

Thanks for the offer though...should be a nice weekend for that.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby dogyak » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:23 pm

Have a good time with your dad and a safe drive . But remember , got to get you in that club , get your dog doing doubles and blinds , she has it in her , and she has lots of drive , seen it . Anyway , duck season will be over soon and then you will have lots of time ,lol .
dogyak
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:29 am

fonda wrote:I am going to try out Guana this weekend but have never navigated it. I have a 14ft v hull boat with a 10hp. Can anyone give me any idea about the water level, channels navigating at night etc. Thanks

The gate at Six Mile Launch will be closed, so you will have to launch from the south end. I recommend once you get into the skinny water, you pull out your phone and use google maps or something, as it gives a decent overhead picture and you should be able to tell where the channel is etc.... You'll know quickly once you get out of the channel.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby fonda » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:41 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yes I got my dates wrong so I will not be out there tomorrow. I just figured that out about an hour ago. That would have been embarrassing.

Thanks for the feedback on the running the shallows.

This is a good forum. I have learned alot from you guys. I have hunted this area all my life but not ducks. So I am a bit of a newby.
fonda
hunter

Re: Re: Guana lake hunting/water level

Postby whaknstak » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:03 pm

fonda wrote:Thanks for the replies. Yes I got my dates wrong so I will not be out there tomorrow. I just figured that out about an hour ago. That would have been embarrassing.

Thanks for the feedback on the running the shallows.

This is a good forum. I have learned alot from you guys. I have hunted this area all my life but not ducks. So I am a bit of a newby.

Glad to have you here. Lots of great folks on here. Everyone makes mistakes, but you gotta stay on top of the regs. Ignorance is no excuse for hunting out of season. Good luck scouting and I hope you get on the birds for the second split!
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby fonda » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:01 am

Got my dates right this weekend and got out to Guana. I found out pretty quick how shallow it is. I have a heavy 4 stroke 9.9 yammi and it didn't take long to stir up the mud. I ended up doing alot of poling. I saw alot of boats the same size and bigger with just a trolling motor which might be the best answer. If I was by myself I think a pirogue or kayak would be just as good. It didn't seem like you had to go too far to get into some good weeds. My son and I quickly realized we need more time at the range, but it was good F&S time with a boy soon graduating.

I quickly learned that my boat blind and plan had some shortcomings. It can only get better.

Thanks for the help.
fonda
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting