Beginner duck call

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Beginner duck call

Postby irishff727 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:57 pm

So was wondering what a good beginner duck call would be, been buying a lil bit of gear here and there gearing up for next season cause I have zero time for this season, so was wondering what would be a good beginner call to buy

really? really?
irishff727
hunter

Re: Beginner duck call

Postby FlaWoodie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:23 pm

depends on where your huntin, but around tallahassee we pretty much leave them @ home, if we got any :thumbsup:
You pay for you!

Postby quackhunter99 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:30 am

I always have them in my blind bag, but I hardly even pick them up when im hunting in florida. Currently on my lanyard is a pintail whistle, RNT Daisy Cutter, RNT Short Barrel, and a custom call made by a guy in Alabama. If you want to learn, go buy an inexpensive polycarb or wood call such as a quack head,RNT hunter series, or echo. Then if you get into it upgrade to an acrylic if youd like. Id stay away from the duck commander calls.
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:44 am

Leave the mallard calls at home. I started out with just a Primos teal whistle and a primos hen teal call. Teal are one of the most abundant birds that migrate to florida and it is useful. Plus if you play with it enough you can learn to get the right grunt tone to imitate divers like scaup and ringers. Works well for me all the time.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby bdub » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:36 am

tmclaimerFL wrote: Plus if you play with it enough you can learn to get the right grunt tone to imitate divers like scaup and ringers. Works well for me all the time.

Does that work best with the teal call. I have been trying to imitate it with a mallard call?
bdub
hunter

Postby BigBend » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:21 am

Yeah or a diver call. I usually don't mess with it though. I think that learning WHEN to call at ducks is just as important as learning how to make it sound good.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby bdub » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:48 am

i havent actually brought my call hunting with me once. Im too afraid that I sound alot worse than I think and I have never hunted with any one who actually knows how to call. So I dont have the first clue as to WHEN to call.
bdub
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:52 pm

bdub wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote: Plus if you play with it enough you can learn to get the right grunt tone to imitate divers like scaup and ringers. Works well for me all the time.

Does that work best with the teal call. I have been trying to imitate it with a mallard call?

Im sure there are specific diver calls that are sold, but I dont see it necessary to spend the money on them so I make due with what I have. The hen teal call works well with it if you roll your tongue in it. I sometimes just short low quacks with my PH-2 for divers too. Key is to know when to call and when not to because it can make or break you. If i see a flock moving around hundreds of yards away im not gonna bother because the call wont reach that far to coax birds in thats what your spread is for. Ill use it birds are in my path or circling the dekes and are trying to commit.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Phil T » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:17 pm

Silence is Golden.
Phil T
hunter

Postby QuacknStrut » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:21 pm

bdub wrote:i havent actually brought my call hunting with me once. Im too afraid that I sound alot worse than I think and I have never hunted with any one who actually knows how to call. So I dont have the first clue as to WHEN to call.

Call at tail feathers and elbows (that is the clean version). Learn the hail and simple quack. Do not bother to call much in Florida, but if you ever hunt out of state, it would be nice to know how. It is not rocket science. Listen to ducks on the water and do what they do. If you are hunting out of state, get a mallard call, a pintail whistle and a Gadwall call. That covers most everything. Just have fun with it, when you are with buddies and away from other folks. See what the birds like. Don't be skeered. It is just about the rythm. I have a buddy that sounds horrible when he calls and kills a bunch of mallards. hens have a lot of different sounds. Like turkey calling. Purty callin does not always = meat in the pan.

I was hunting a woodie swamp that I had hunted for years. We noticed a flock of Gadwalls (first i had ever seen) and the other guys in the swamp were blowing mallard calls. I put them right in our lap with a Gadwall call. Killed 4 of them. (two of us, both with O/U). I will never win a calling contest and I am okay with that. Just see what the birds like.
QuacknStrut
hunter

Beginner duck call

Postby quackhunter99 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:11 pm

That tips and tails rule is very dependent on conditions. If the ducks are working well and commiting on first couple passes then it's a good rule. But when I was out in louisinia and Mississippi first split it was different. When I was in louisinia we had colder weather but no wind. The ducks were very skittish and we had to soft quack and chuckle at them the entire time after we got their attention in order to keep their attention. Then when I was in Mississippi the ducks weren't commiting due to wind, and we had to call at them until they out their boots on. My face was red I was having to feed call into my daisy cutter so much. The second we would let off calling the ducks would veer off and fly away
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby QuacknStrut » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:07 pm

You right.

Just see what the birds like.
is the most important advice.

You are just unlikely to flare them with arses and elbows. The main point from your advice is to have a wider array of calling cadences so you can throw more at them when they are finicky. Also, timber and field make a huge difference, both in the type of call and the loudness of the call as well as wind conditions. For a beginner just getting the feel, always start softer and less calling and move yoru way to aggressive when that is not working. A lot like calling Ole Tom in. Every bird and every day is different.
QuacknStrut
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:33 pm

Everyday is different with big ducks. I lean toward getting a good acrylic to learn on. That's how I learned. A cheaper call may not produce the sound that it needs
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting