Snipe hunter roll call

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Snipe hunter roll call

Postby whaknstak » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:35 pm

Who hunts em, and what do you do with em once you pick em up? I decoyed close to 100 snipe this afternoon and didn't shoot cause I just don't know what to do with it. They good to eat?
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Snipe hunter roll call

Postby JAXcrisp » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:48 pm

I've always hunted them similar to the way you hunt pheasant.

JAXcrisp
JAXcrisp
hunter

Re: Snipe hunter roll call

Postby whaknstak » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:58 pm

But what do you do with them?
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Snipe hunter roll call

Postby chris_k » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:08 pm

You can wrap a turd in bacon and it will taste good. Try that!
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Re: Re: Snipe hunter roll call

Postby whaknstak » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:35 pm

chris_k wrote:You can wrap a turd in bacon and it will taste good. Try that!

Figured Id get one of these. I am genuinely curious. People hunt em, and they have a season. I can't see everyone shooting them and letting them lay. Guess you have eaten it and not liked it?

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby reelsouthern1220 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:54 pm

I shoot em when the opportunity presents itself. Wouldn't say I really hunt em though. I cooked em up just like a dove popper and they were pretty similar in my opinion.
reelsouthern1220
hunter

Re: Re: Snipe hunter roll call

Postby whaknstak » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:59 pm

reelsouthern1220 wrote:I shoot em when the opportunity presents itself. Wouldn't say I really hunt em though. I cooked em up just like a dove popper and they were pretty similar in my opinion.

I wasn't targeting them, they just infested the lake I was on. I have never seen so many snipe. They kept pitching into the spread in groups of 5-10. Couldn't keep them out.

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Snipe hunter roll call

Postby JAXcrisp » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:57 pm

They taste similar to dove

JAXcrisp
JAXcrisp
hunter

Snipe hunter roll call

Postby bbbb » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:04 am

Since you've never hunted them i have to ask. Are you sure those are snipe you're seeing and not shore birds? I rarely see more than 2-3 flying together.

A snipe makes a distinctive sound while flying. They are hunted by walking and flushing. They hang out on the edge water and prefer a muddy bottom where they use their beak to dig in the mud.

They resemble dove meat. We cut out the breast meat and wrap it in bacon.

Limit is 8.
bbbb
hunter

Postby Lake O Hunter » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:49 am

I take the breasts out on the breast plate and marinade either mojo or italian dressing grill for 5 minutes and cut off breast plate to serve...I think they grill better on the bone and don't get overcooked.

I concur with early post; i have seen 'snipe' taken that turned out to be yellowlegs, dowitchers, and other shorebirds so if you haven't shot them before be careful on your ID!
Lake O Hunter
hunter

Postby BigBend » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:36 am

Marinate in dales, red pepper, jalapeƱos, cream cheese wrapped in bacon. Throw on the grill 3-4 minutes each side.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby whaknstak » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:10 am

Seen them in small groups all the time in years past. The lake is nothing but a mud marsh due to low water levels and they are everywhere on the mud flats.

I have never seen it either, but this was what was decoying into my spread all afternoon
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1355159374595.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1355159374595.jpg (39.05 KiB) Viewed 652 times

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:27 am

They are a blast to shoot. They can make Tom Knapp look like an amateur. Its like trying to shoot a yellow jacket because they are so erratic in flight. They taste just like dove too.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby reelsouthern1220 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:34 am

They are a blast to shoot for sure. I actually saw the same thing a couple days ago. Group of 20-30 and several others of 10 or so. Something fun to chase when the duck aren't flyin.
reelsouthern1220
hunter

Postby Phil T » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:43 pm

Those big groups you are seeing are not snipe, they have a very similar profile and have fooled me more than once. Snipe in my experience do not flock, they flush in singles and sometimes pairs and do not fly in flocks. I have seen what you are talking about on Okeechobee and at Allapatta Flats. Snipe are one of my favorite hunts, they are a lot of fun, do not overcook or they get a liver texture and taste.
Phil T
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:56 pm

He's seeing snipe...there's just THAT many of them in that area right now.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Snipe hunter roll call

Postby bbbb » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:40 am

DUCK-DAWG wrote:He's seeing snipe...there's just THAT many of them in that area right now.

Hmmm. Do they fly in tight formations? If so, that ain't snipe. I was out yesterday and saw a few flights of 10-15 shore birds. They fly a lot like a snipe, but did not make their distinctive sound.

Most of the snipe we shot, jumped as singles. We did jump a group of 5, but they all flew their own directions.
bbbb
hunter

Postby 1Luckytiger » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:28 pm

I must say that yes snipe can fly in a tight group...as we sure as hell don't have any shore birds in west central alabama out in the middle of rain soaked blackbelt fields that jump up and say "JEEEEP..JEEEEEP..JEEEEP and fly zig-zag patterns and circle around and come zoomin' back in!! Been killin' em in these fields when very wet for over 40 years now. :thumbsup:
1Luckytiger
hunter

Snipe hunter roll call

Postby bbbb » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:51 am

Well the groups I saw in Tallahassee were not snipe. Different color, flew lower to the ground and flew in formation like a school of baitfish. But they did have a similar body.

Might have to ground check one and take a pic. Problem is, you might kill 3-4 with one shot.
bbbb
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:04 am

I'm 100% positive the birds I was seeing the last time I was out there were snipe...I've killed plenty of them. The only time I was seeing the birds flying in groups larger than 3-5 was right at LST as they made their way into the area, but there were a few large groups (~10) that came in. Last year I hunted them when the water levels were low, and because the area I was in was open, there were plenty of times when my brother and I would flush groups of 10-20 birds towards each other as they saw one of us coming.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting