2012-13 season pics

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Re: 2012-13 season pics

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:07 am

tknight006 wrote:Anybody know the topic of the thread related to that wood duck pic? I'd like to check it out.
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=217346
http://m.knoxnews.com/news/2008/dec/21/ ... k-hunting/
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:10 am

CMP09 wrote:Yeeewww

photo (6).JPG

Mount that sucker
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Tealwemeetagain » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:32 pm

thank you for the clairification. just figured i had never shot one before and ive seen them out there drakes at least
Go Noles
Tealwemeetagain
hunter

Postby lovetheduck » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:03 pm

here's a great hunt a couple weeks ago a few blue bills which tasted great, and two red heads, and drake and hen, my first even and yes they are in the freezer waiting for the taxidermy....and thats the boat all dressed up, ain't she perdy
Attachments
New Image3.JPG
New Image2.JPG
New Image1.JPG
lovetheduck
hunter

Postby chris_k » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Limited out this morning on what could possibly be my last hunt of the season. Need to attend to some family tragedy and spend time with family.
It was a good season, with plenty of birds and wonderful times with friends. Ended up with 305 birds (which is pretty descent considering its been mostly 1-2 ppl hunts). Y'all go out and wax em for me!
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby BigBend » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:38 pm

Sorry to hear about the tragedy man, sounds like you had a good season though. Nice bit if birds as well :thumbsup:
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby whaknstak » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:03 pm

Hate to hear that Chris. Congrats on a good season though!
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby bdub » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:58 pm

Got my first can yesterday. Cant believe how big these things are! Any ideas on how i should mount her. I was thinking about they way they look when they have the wings tucked when before they put out the landing gear?

Sorry to hear that chris.... 305 birds. Good lord I have shot maybe 20 this year and thats 1-2 people. this is only my 3rd season so im still learning.
Attachments
first can.jpeg
bdub
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:56 pm

bdub wrote:Any ideas on how i should mount her.

http://www.birdmanstudios.com/

Check out this link. They have a bunch different posses to get a good idea of what you might like.

Congrats also..... :thumbsup:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:14 pm

I've been after a can for a while. My season ended last week. This duck season was pitiful. I could only hunt one local lake because I couldn't get my boat off the trailer everywhere else. So I didn't get to hunt much this season. Im back in oxford. We're already getting ready for the snow geese this spring though
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby chris_k » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:01 pm

quackhunter99 wrote:I've been after a can for a while. My season ended last week. This duck season was pitiful. I could only hunt one local lake because I couldn't get my boat off the trailer everywhere else. So I didn't get to hunt much this season. Im back in oxford. We're already getting ready for the snow geese this spring though

What?! Man had you asked I could have put you on one. Don't be afraid to ask brother ....
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby jedisme » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:44 pm

quackhunter99 wrote:I've been after a can for a while. My season ended last week. This duck season was pitiful. I could only hunt one local lake because I couldn't get my boat off the trailer everywhere else. So I didn't get to hunt much this season. Im back in oxford. We're already getting ready for the snow geese this spring though

Just curious but why couldn't you get your boat off the trailer?
jedisme
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:30 am

Most ramps in the Tallahassee at the moment are just dirt spot in the shoreline. At some lakes the water line may be 50 to 100 yards below the concrete pad. And the slop of the lake bottom is not sutible to put in a lot of boats. That plus our trailer sits higher off the ground that most, and the round chines on a 16x56 go devil boat with a 35 require a good bit of water to float that beast off the trailer. And often time I can get it off. But getting it back on is very difficult. I can't winch it up because it is to heavy. I've already broken the bunks trying to get it off too so that doesn't help. Over the summer I was putting it on the trailer at millers landing after a night of froggin and when I went to pull my truck foward I hit the spot where people had been revving there boats onto the trailer and framed out my 2500hd and had to call a wrecker at 3am. Dont wanna do that again. There just isn't enough water. Badly designed trailer and ramps. And I'll remember that next season Chris. I've been wanting one for a long long time.
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby BigBend » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:30 am

bdub wrote:Got my first can yesterday. Cant believe how big these things are! Any ideas on how i should mount her. I was thinking about they way they look when they have the wings tucked when before they put out the landing gear?

Congrads Bdub,
I ran into the same situation when I shot my first can, it was a hen and it was fully plumed. I ended up freezing it and waiting to get a drake to do a courtship mount. There are places where cans are not uncommon around here. Whatever you decide to do its a pretty bird and im glad you get to check another species off your list :thumbsup:
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby bdub » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:39 am

BigBend wrote:
bdub wrote:Got my first can yesterday. Cant believe how big these things are! Any ideas on how i should mount her. I was thinking about they way they look when they have the wings tucked when before they put out the landing gear?

Congrads Bdub,
I ran into the same situation when I shot my first can, it was a hen and it was fully plumed. I ended up freezing it and waiting to get a drake to do a courtship mount. There are places where cans are not uncommon around here. Whatever you decide to do its a pretty bird and im glad you get to check another species off your list :thumbsup:

Im going to ask them if they can leave some space to add a drake if I dont get one by the end of the season.
bdub
hunter

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:52 am

My worse season ever....and I "finally" bought a GA license just to go shoot wood ducks......been in FL all season hunting.

I've read post about guys hunting more than me and only killing 20 - 30 ducks.....then chuckle, I guess my season could be worse but I'm way over 30.

I'll toss some highlight photos up, after the season.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby bdub » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:42 am

seminole_sigmanu wrote:I've read post about guys hunting more than me and only killing 20 - 30 ducks.....

Thats me..... :fingerhead:
bdub
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:57 am

seminole_sigmanu wrote:My worse season ever....and I "finally" bought a GA license just to go shoot wood ducks......been in FL all season hunting.

I've read post about guys hunting more than me and only killing 20 - 30 ducks.....then chuckle, I guess my season could be worse but I'm way over 30.

To me its not about the numbers. Its about the experiences, lessons, learned, and the people you meet and share them with. Ive had a great season so far in just experiences. Ive gotten to meet two awesome guys on here and share some hunts with them. Got to take my better half and get her first birds as well as her brother and father. Got another good friend on his first true hunts this year and he has enjoyed every bit of it. Had some hardships this year also with my motor being out of commission a few times with it completely breaking in half and the power pack taking a dump. Lot of money spent this year, but it has definitely been one for the books, and it still isn't over. :beer:

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby jedisme » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:29 pm

quackhunter99 wrote:Most ramps in the Tallahassee at the moment are just dirt spot in the shoreline. At some lakes the water line may be 50 to 100 yards below the concrete pad. And the slop of the lake bottom is not sutible to put in a lot of boats. That plus our trailer sits higher off the ground that most, and the round chines on a 16x56 go devil boat with a 35 require a good bit of water to float that beast off the trailer. And often time I can get it off. But getting it back on is very difficult. I can't winch it up because it is to heavy. I've already broken the bunks trying to get it off too so that doesn't help. Over the summer I was putting it on the trailer at millers landing after a night of froggin and when I went to pull my truck foward I hit the spot where people had been revving there boats onto the trailer and framed out my 2500hd and had to call a wrecker at 3am. Dont wanna do that again. There just isn't enough water. Badly designed trailer and ramps. And I'll remember that next season Chris. I've been wanting one for a long long time.

Yea I've been having the same problem this year thank goodness for the winch on the boat.
jedisme
hunter

Postby sigalphjoe44 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:00 pm

waterdogds wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:Dudes got in some serious trouble for this one.

And rightly so. Talk about exhausting a natural resource. They should have taken away their hunting rights forever. :hammer:

Here Here :hammer: might even need to amputate their trigger fingers also.
sigalphjoe44
hunter

Postby duxlayer391 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:45 pm

The 9th and 11th picture up, those are Mottled ducks. People mistake them for mallards. In the same family but its just like people mistaking black ducks for hen mallards. I actually shot and amazing looking Mottled duck at PCS 2 years that I have mounted now. Great pictures of all the ducks guys.
duxlayer391
Newb

Postby chris_k » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:59 pm

duxlayer391 wrote:The 9th and 11th picture up, those are Mottled ducks. People mistake them for mallards. In the same family but its just like people mistaking black ducks for hen mallards. I actually shot and amazing looking Mottled duck at PCS 2 years that I have mounted now. Great pictures of all the ducks guys.

???
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:41 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:
seminole_sigmanu wrote:My worse season ever....and I "finally" bought a GA license just to go shoot wood ducks......been in FL all season hunting.

To me its not about the numbers. Its about the experiences, lessons, learned, and the people you meet and share them with. Ive had a great season so far in just experiences. Ive gotten to meet two awesome guys on here and share some hunts with them. Got to take my better half and get her first birds as well as her brother and father. Got another good friend on his first true hunts this year and he has enjoyed every bit of it. Had some hardships this year also with my motor being out of commission a few times with it completely breaking in half and the power pack taking a dump. Lot of money spent this year, but it has definitely been one for the books, and it still isn't over. :beer:

True, it's not about the numbers but statistcally it's way off from the past years. I've had a few first. My wife shot a nice shovler. I've waxed the bills this year but haven't shot hardley any ringers.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:45 pm

seminole_sigmanu wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:

True, it's not about the numbers but statistcally it's way off from the past years. I've had a few first. My wife shot a nice shovler. I've waxed the bills this year but haven't shot hardley any ringers.

Hoping to get my first ringers of the year in the next few days. Me and ryano22 will be pounding it out down in O-town

Sent from my Huawei U8800-51 using Tapatalk 2

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby ryano022 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:04 pm

Well def get some ringers, no doubt bout that, when I lived in pa, the only time I ever saw cans was literally the next day after season ended, we would go to our honey hole and see least 7-10 cans sitting right there, happened for 3 years!!!
ryano022
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Florida Duck Hunting