New to duck hunting

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, Ichabod97, BigBend

New to duck hunting

Postby Duck life » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:23 pm

I just started to get interested into duck hunting. Can you guys tell me places to hunt in south or southwest florida. And what calls to use for ducks in that area. And can you tell me things that are help full to hunt south florida. Thanks
Duck life
Newb

Re: New to duck hunting

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:25 pm

Helpful hint #1- Go scout!
Lot of helpful people on here, but you must ask the right questions. Good luck to ya
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:29 am

#1 Go scout
#2 Have the proper licenses and know the rules
#3 Read up at www.myfwc.com
#4 Leave the mallard call at home and pick up a teal whistle and maybe a teal call
#5 Go scout

:welcome: What got you interested in waterfowling?
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby Cajun1085 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:33 am

Probably Duck Dynasty....my guess
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby BigBend » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:51 am

Welcome to the forum. We don't really go over specific areas on this forum but other members have given you a good starting point. You'll learn that duck hunting is all about scouting, you should spend as much time as you can learning the areas and patterns of places you'll be hunting. Try to be as courteous as you can to other hunters and spend some time with your shotgun learning ranges etc. it's tough to get started all by yourself, if you have any friends that can get you out that will help. I wouldn't be nearly as concerned with calls in this stage. Also id be prepared to buy 10 dozen decoys, a boat with mud motor, waders, gear, camo and a lot of caffeine. It's some fun hunting but duck hunting will empty your pockets faster than other types of hunting. Good luck.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby Duck life » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:16 pm

Thanks for all the information. I will start finding places to scout.
Duck life
Newb

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:01 pm

And please remember that a shotgun cannot kill birds at 100 yards! Anything over 50 yards is a hail Mary....be courteous and don't sky bust!
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:16 pm

BigBend wrote:Welcome to the forum. We don't really go over specific areas on this forum but other members have given you a good starting point. You'll learn that duck hunting is all about scouting, you should spend as much time as you can learning the areas and patterns of places you'll be hunting. Try to be as courteous as you can to other hunters and spend some time with your shotgun learning ranges etc. it's tough to get started all by yourself, if you have any friends that can get you out that will help. I wouldn't be nearly as concerned with calls in this stage. Also id be prepared to buy 10 dozen decoys, a boat with mud motor, waders, gear, camo and a lot of caffeine. It's some fun hunting but duck hunting will empty your pockets faster than other types of hunting. Good luck.

X2
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

New to duck hunting

Postby chris_k » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:14 pm

Ichabod97 wrote:And please remember that a shotgun cannot kill birds at 100 yards! Anything over 50 yards is a hail Mary....be courteous and don't sky bust!

50 yards??? Thats a long shot. I wouldnt even shoot a turkey at that range with a xfull turkey outfit.
To start, Dont shoot at anything past 25 yds
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby Duck life » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:15 pm

Also what duck decoys would be good to use in the southwest florida area
Duck life
Newb

Postby BigBend » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:46 pm

Match the hatch. Ringers, teal, couple of hen mallards for mottleds and coots for realism.
BigBend
State Moderator

Return to Florida Duck Hunting