New guy from north FL

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

New guy from north FL

Postby Bakercountyboy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:30 pm

Hi my name is Casey

I live in macclenny florida. I am an avid deer/hog hunter. Last time i went waterfowl hunting was with my my dad when i was a youngen. So im wanting to get into duck hunting but my question is where are some places to hunt here in north fl? I herd there was some places over in lake city. I'm not asking for you guys to tell me where your honeyholes are. But with me being new to this i just dont know where to start. When i hunted with my dad (texas) we did'nt use boats we just waded and used fishing poles with a weight and a hook to retrieve our ducks!

Thanks
Bakercountyboy
hunter

Re: New guy from north FL

Postby Ichabod97 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:53 am

I will tell you what everyone else is going to say, but hasn't said it. Get out and scout. Anyone in their right mind will not give up spots that are producing birds because once that info goes out on the forum, everyone and their brother will be at that spot the next time you go out to hunt it. Some people might share some spots via PM, but that kind of info will more than likely not be spilled in the public forum. This year already we have seen some ridiculous lines at the boat ramps for the WMA's. Some of that might be due to the forums, shows like Duck Dynasty and people just running their mouth. Do what the rest of us do, grab your boat, search Google maps, check out www.myfwc.com, and get out and scout!

Good luck and :welcome: to the forums!
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:25 am

Ichabod97 wrote:I will tell you what everyone else is going to say, but hasn't said it. Get out and scout. Anyone in their right mind will not give up spots that are producing birds because once that info goes out on the forum, everyone and their brother will be at that spot the next time you go out to hunt it. Some people might share some spots via PM, but that kind of info will more than likely not be spilled in the public forum. This year already we have seen some ridiculous lines at the boat ramps for the WMA's. Some of that might be due to the forums, shows like Duck Dynasty and people just running their mouth. Do what the rest of us do, grab your boat, search Google maps, check out http://www.myfwc.com, and get out and scout!

Good luck and :welcome: to the forums!

:clapping: What Nick said. :welcome:
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:35 am

X3
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby QuacknStrut » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:15 am

If you deer and hog hunt, there is a good chance you have walked by a woodie hole or two. Listen at first light and late in the evening in those places for the hen squeal or the drake whistle. See if you can see some birds flying in or out. Go to a local outdoors shop and listen. Check out FWC site for public opportunities. Make friends with a waterfowler. Offer to take them deer hunting in return for a duck hunt (and actually do it). Nothing takes the place of scouting for finding birds. Find them the night before and set up on them the next morning. Learn about the etiquette of water fowling. There is a lot more unwritten rules as to what is acceptable and gentlemanly way to act when duck hunting. Most folks, if approached humbly in person, will give you a little bit of info about duck hunting in your area. Plan on learning a lot, then unlearning what you were doing wrong and then learning some more, the rest of your life really if you keep at it. Consider hiring a guide or two for the first couple of years to have a successful hunt-research them carefully. Safety first with duck hunting. Good luck. As a buddy of mine told me when I took up spring turkey hunting a while back as an adult, you don't wanna start cause you are gonna get addicted. He was right.
QuacknStrut
hunter

Postby Bakercountyboy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:21 pm

Thanks for the advise guys! I am trying to set up a meeting with a friend of a friend so he can take me out and show me what to look for. A buddy i went to the academy with has informed me of a good place to start.
Last edited by Bakercountyboy on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bakercountyboy
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:36 am

And for future reference, please try to refrain from putting names of places out on the forum. Next thing you know, that little unknown place becomes the most popular spot in north FL, and instead of just you and a couple people, you have almost every college kid and idiot in the area there skybusting and ruining the hunt for everyone else. Just a little common courtesy, i know it might be asking too much, but i have noticed this day in age, common courtesy is not very common.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby Bakercountyboy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:24 am

Gotcha
Bakercountyboy
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting