st johns river duck hunting..... Where???

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

st johns river duck hunting..... Where???

Postby mgoldschmidt » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:08 pm

hey guys.... I have spent a good deal of time on Lake Jessup last year duck hunting... on the northern side,up near the the creek - directly north of Bird Isl. It sucked. My problem is my 17ft flats (with a blind - homemade) is not to good in the shallows of the lake. Id like a mud buddy. anyway... I know the river well between 50 and 46 (gator hunting) - again, the water level is low.

my question is, where should I go? Like everyone else, Id like to get into a mess of birds.

Or.... who wants to partner up?

Honestly... Id pay to get someone to show me where,

got any leads or ideas?
mgoldschmidt
hunter

Postby snipeshooter » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:36 am

You are already hunting a very good area. Ihunted the same area alot last year and cleaned up, you just were not in the right spot. Good hunting along the river in this area depends greatly on the amount of water we have and changes on a weekly basesis. I spend more time scouting than hunting to stay on the birds. If we don't get alot of rain pretty quick it is going to be a tuff year. Get a mudmotor if you are serious about duck hunting here it will greatly expand your hunting oppertunities.
snipeshooter
hunter

Postby titangoober » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:31 am

hey you should contact kg4yus at he is a very qualiied guide.i have hunted whith him for many years from lake george to crescent lake and smaller surronding lakes and flag ponds.he can hook you up.
titangoober
hunter

reply to you guys...

Postby mgoldschmidt » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:09 pm

so, you suggest that I stay in northern Jessup area?

and how do I get ahold of the guide?

I used to be opposed to guides - but lately I have found that you can get alot out of your expence.
mgoldschmidt
hunter

Postby kg4yus » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:11 pm

snipeshooter wrote:Get a mudmotor if you are serious about duck hunting here it will greatly expand your hunting oppertunities.

That single quote is worth its weight in gold, and so is a mudmotor.
I've hunted the Lake George area for near 30 yrs and for the past 4 seasons I've been using a mudmotor. It opened up a whole new world as far as easily accessing areas that required extreme poling and dragging a conventional boat. TitanGoober can tell you, I've dragged him through thousands of yards of pure hell to get to the birds, that could have taken minutes with mudmotor. In fact he'll probably tell you about the time we were covered in Ringers and somehow while he was sleeping someone unloaded his old pump.
You should've seen the look on his face when all he heard was "click". :toofunny:
Mossy Oak-Waterfowl Prostaff
Buck Gardner-Field Staff
Vice Chair- CFL Delta Waterfowl
Regional Director United Waterfowlers
FFWCC Hunter Safety Area Coordinator
kg4yus
hunter

Postby snipeshooter » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:09 pm

Jesup can hold a lot of birds if the water is right. Most of the areas on Jesup that I hunt are completly dry right now. I also have a mudboat with a surface drive mud motor and can get alot farther back in there than you can with a regular outboard. With that said sometimes when there is a lot of preasure on the birds back in the thick stuff they move out along the edges of the lake were a hunter in a outboard can get. Out there you have got to move with the birds. If you are interested in a mudmotor try Sid at fastduckmotors.com
snipeshooter
hunter

Postby titangoober » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:00 am

oh yea kg4yus is right the mud motor is the s****t . and by the way that was a DIRTY LOW DOWN TRICK he and my other friend pulled on me :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: but all jokes aside contact kg4yus at his profile. Or send a Private Message.
Last edited by titangoober on Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
titangoober
hunter

Postby titangoober » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:05 am

kg4yus wrote:
snipeshooter wrote:Get a mudmotor if you are serious about duck hunting here it will greatly expand your hunting oppertunities.

That single quote is worth its weight in gold, and so is a mudmotor.
I've hunted the Lake George area for near 30 yrs and for the past 4 seasons I've been using a mudmotor. It opened up a whole new world as far as easily accessing areas that required extreme poling and dragging a conventional boat. TitanGoober can tell you, I've dragged him through thousands of yards of pure hell to get to the birds, that could have taken minutes with mudmotor. In fact he'll probably tell you about the time we were covered in Ringers and somehow while he was sleeping someone unloaded his old pump.
You should've seen the look on his face when all he heard was "click". :toofunny:
one day brother PAY BACK! :umm:
titangoober
hunter

Postby mgoldschmidt » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:03 am

well.... any of you guys want to add me in your boat this season, drop me an email. Ill help with the gas - etc. I cant get where I want to be in my outboard.

Id appreciate it.

mgoldschmidt@yahoo.com
mgoldschmidt
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting