STA 5 Early Season

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

STA 5 Early Season

Postby SandPiper » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:37 pm

First off...hello all. I'm new around here, and pretty new to duck hunting as well. I have hunted various other game, but new to ducks. Just assume I know nothing, and you'll be right for the most part.

So I got an early season permit for STA #5 (morning, Sept. 24). I have a few questions about the area. I certainly appreciate any information you all can give me, and I hope to progress along this learning curve as quickly as possible with as little annoyance to you guys.

What can you tell me about the terrain and water depth? Can it be waded, or must you have a canoe (I understand motorized boats are offlimits)?

What is the basic makeup of the terrain? Grasses, cattails, palms? Just wondering what type of camo I should be packing.

How many and how specific should I be with decoys?

What will be the majority of birds I can expect to see during the early season? I am fairly confident that I wouldn't take a shot at anything besides the legal early season birds, but are there any I should pay particular care about? I mean, are there any that a beginner might confuse and take a shot at something not in season?

Thanks ahead of time.

Kip
SandPiper
hunter

Postby kg4yus » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:16 pm

:welcome:
Sorry I cant help ya with the STA's.
I think there may be somone on here that knows the area though.
Mossy Oak-Waterfowl Prostaff
Buck Gardner-Field Staff
Vice Chair- CFL Delta Waterfowl
Regional Director United Waterfowlers
FFWCC Hunter Safety Area Coordinator
kg4yus
hunter

Postby snipeshooter » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:52 am

I can't help you from any experience down there, but just from the talk of others that have been you need a boat of some nature because it is deep along side of the dikes that you acess the area on.
snipeshooter
hunter

Postby Duck47 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:01 pm

dRAkE-nutS
Duck47
hunter

Postby SandPiper » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:16 pm

Hello again...

The guy I would normally go duckhunting with is not going to be able to make it down to S. Florida for the early season STA hunt. So, I have an open spot. I got a permit on STA 5 for September 24th (Sunday) morning. This is my first trip, but I believe the tag is good for two hunters (and a guest if necessary). If anyone here would like to use the other half of my tag, I'd be glad to meet you there. Just let me know. You can PM me or email. But, see the warning below first...

NOTE: If you go with me, just be forewarned that I am an absolute beginner, and at ground zero in every respect...I know very little about duckhunting. Any and all advice (well, good advice anyway) would be appreciated. My plan is to scrounge up a canoe or something similar, but if you have something non-motorized to share even better :eek: . That's not a requirement to come with me, though; I think I can come up with that for myself if I need to.
SandPiper
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting