Wadable waters in FL

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Wadable waters in FL

Postby SandPiper » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:25 am

Hello again everyone, and thanks for the replies to my other questions so far. Being new to duckhunting, the only boat I have right now is an old, small bassboat (not exactly set up for skinny water or carrying a blind). In the future, I would probably add a small, more duck-friendly boat to my inventory. But, for now, I was wondering if there are any decent duckhunting areas in Florida that are accessible strictly by wading. I can come up with a canoe, or something similar, but I wouldn't want to shoot from one (I'm kinda clumsy)...so even if I had to get there by canoe, I'd still need some place I can set up. Location within the state is not really a problem, as I travel pretty much the whole state (from Homestead to well into the panhandle) on a regular basis for work. That being said, something in the central portion of the state would be easiest. Thanks in advance for any info you might have.

Kip
SandPiper
hunter

Postby snipeshooter » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:28 am

You could hunt the impoundments over at Merrit Island Refuge with a canoe. You need it just to get across the rim cannals and then you get out and wade to hunt. I have acouple of canoes and have shot ducks out of them many times. I just slide down and sit flat in the bottom very low profile and easy to hide that way.
snipeshooter
hunter

Postby kg4yus » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:35 pm

Yep, you could hunt MI even with just a float tube to get across the perimeter ditches. I've floated across on a bag of decoys before, but I wouldnt recommend it to others, you know the "Dont try this at home" kinda thing. Whats nice about MI is that you can ride the dike or perimeter road and scout from a vehicle, as long as there is not a launch scheduled you can go in anytime.

You location says W. Central Florida, any where near Groveland?
I know a spot near there that you could hunt with your small bassboat, just cover it up real good with Palm Fronds.
Mossy Oak-Waterfowl Prostaff
Buck Gardner-Field Staff
Vice Chair- CFL Delta Waterfowl
Regional Director United Waterfowlers
FFWCC Hunter Safety Area Coordinator
kg4yus
hunter

Postby SandPiper » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:55 pm

kg4yus wrote:Yep, you could hunt MI even with just a float tube to get across the perimeter ditches.

Let me ask one more thing...any of the folks around here who do the wading/float tube thing have any troubles with gators? 'Course I guess if all else fails, you do have a shotgun :toofunny: I suppose they're a little less active in the winter, but what about the early season?

kg4yus wrote:You location says W. Central Florida, any where near Groveland? I know a spot near there that you could hunt with your small bassboat, just cover it up real good with Palm Fronds.

Just a little further west than Groveland, but not far. Near Brooksville/Weekiwachee. But, Groveland is not far at all, especially considering the amount of driving I do anyway.
SandPiper
hunter

Postby kg4yus » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:40 am

Alligators are always something to keep in mind and keep an eye out for.
They are somewhat less active in the winter months. Common sense and a keen eye will keep you out of most trouble with gators. During the Early season is time to keep the dogs home and both eyes open.

Since you are somewhat near Groveland, check out the Palatkahala River just north of town on Hwy 19. Check around the east side of the hwy there is plenty of marsh there tha tyou could motor into an pole the boat you have around. Alot of palm fronds to cover the boat with and your set.

You sound like me with all the driving you do, any given day I could be in Palm Bay then the next I could be in Tallahassee
Last edited by kg4yus on Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buck Gardner-Field Staff
kg4yus
hunter

Postby SandPiper » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:41 am

kg4yus wrote:You sound like me with all the driving you do, any given day I could be in Palm Bay then the next I could be in Tallahassee

Yeah. I work for the company that manages the prison industries for the state of FL (I'm the Safety & Environmental Health Mgr.). We have about 40 manufacturing facilities in/around various prisons from the Homestead area to well out into the panhandle...and everywhere in between. Thanks for the advice on the Palatkahala. I will definitely go scout it out.
SandPiper
hunter

Postby kg4yus » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:44 pm

Let me know how it goes over there, been a long time since I was over that way.
Buck Gardner-Field Staff
kg4yus
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting