Duck Hunting Forum banner

New to Tallahassee

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  chris_k 
#1 ·
This is my First time posting on the forum, but has some questions about duck hunting around Tallahassee. I always grew up deer hunting but recently was taken duck hunting and I'm now hooked and would love to get a few more ducks before season ended. I never duck hunted in Tallahassee and know there's a few public lakes to hunt but don't really have a boat yet.(I do have waders) however. While deer hunting Apalachicola I've been seeing a few ducks fly over my stand and in a few ponds and was wondering if it would be worth while in scouting the wma to hunt the woods. If not any suggestions on where I can begin to scout? I know it's late in the season and don't really want to step on anyone's toes and show up to there spot they have been hunting all season. Any advice would be awesome!

#3 ·
This late in the season really isn't going to do you any good. Make sure you have all licenses and permits for waterfowl and read cover to cover of all regulations. Check out myfwc.com for starters.

Sent from my Huawei U8800-51 using Tapatalk 2

#4 ·
Wait till next year. Spend your off season trying to find a boat, weather it be a kayak, Jon boat, or mud boat. Dont bother spending money on an outboard, a mud motors the only way to really get around the lakes around here ither than paddle. Pretty important when hunting here. Get some ringneck decoys and other necessary gear, try kevins, or Southern Waterfowl Supply which is in Tallahassee, stocks gear year around im pretty sure and will be able to get you the gear you need and the guys out there have hunted these areas for years and can make sure you get the right decoys and everything. Don't worry about a call, you don't need them here. Spend the off season getting to know the lakes (bass fishin is a good way). Research decoy spreads and info about the ducks and effective ways to hunt them. Try to make some friends that actually know what they are doing, this may be the hardest part because it seems like most people in these parts don't know what they are doing. If you have questions about local hunting areas, regulations you don't understand, and simply want some advice, PM some of us Tallahassee guys and if you're respectful enough on here we might give you a little advice or maybe even take you out and show you some of the ropes. Good luck.... Pretty sure that sums it up? What so y'all think? This is what I'm doing instead of writing a paper on the inauguration for my political science class....

#5 ·
If you already have your duck stamp you could try to bushwhack some of those woodies in the forest, probably won't deal with other hunters. But I wouldn't spend $15 for one weekend of woodie hunting. Welcome to the forum, as others have said, I would spend this year learning the different areas and plan to hit it next year. The water levels have made it challenging in tallahassee this year and forced a lot of us to drive a little further to hunt. I tell alot of people that are trying to get into duck hunting to go out and look at spots right after season ends- there will still be birds in the area and you can get a good idea of what it will be like. We don't really talk specific locations on this forum but there will be quite a few people that will help you out if you are looking to put the time in. You don't necessarily need a $5K duck rig, but you might look into acquiring a kayak, canoe or marsh boat. Some of our lakes are HP restricted, but do be prepared to spend a small fortune once you really come down with duck fever. I'm finishing up my masters at FSU now and will be moving to Georgia or else I'd try to get you out next year. Good luck and go noles! :thumbsup:

#7 ·
Welcome aboard! The guys gave you very sound advice. This is an excellent place to learn, all you have to do is be respectful. Soak up as much as you can, and If you want some more info, or have any questions, pm me your contact info and I would be happy to help you beat the learning curve and be prepared for next season

#9 ·
FSUhunting said:
Went out to a small pond in National Forest and got a Woody and teal! thanks again guys
Were you in Leon county?

#11 ·
quackhunter99 said:
tmclaimerFL said:
FSUhunting said:
Went out to a small pond in National Forest and got a Woody and teal! thanks again guys
Were you in Leon county?

Oh no... Not this again
Don't need him making the same dumb forgetful mistake I did.

#12 ·
tmclaimerFL said:
quackhunter99 said:
tmclaimerFL said:
FSUhunting said:
Were you in Leon county?

Oh no... Not this again
Don't need him making the same dumb forgetful mistake I did.

No we don't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.