Which Waders in Florida?

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Which Waders in Florida?

Postby YJSONLY » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:55 pm

I know they have a forum for this but I want people who hunt in "hot weather" compared to all over.

I need to buy my first set of Waders! I know this I used a set of Lacrosse Swampfox that was not made with neoprene. It was just the waterproof liner with 600 gram boot. We was standing in the water it was about 50 F. I like to of froze. Granted all I had under was my jeans on..... SO my question is what waders are yall wearing. Or will what I had work with a good base under it? Or just to I buy a 3.5mm neoprene with a 600 gram boot.
YJSONLY
hunter

Re: Which Waders in Florida?

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:22 pm

YJSONLY wrote:I know they have a forum for this but I want people who hunt in "hot weather" compared to all over.

I need to buy my first set of Waders! I know this I used a set of Lacrosse Swampfox that was not made with neoprene. It was just the waterproof liner with 600 gram boot. We was standing in the water it was about 50 F. I like to of froze. Granted all I had under was my jeans on..... SO my question is what waders are yall wearing. Or will what I had work with a good base under it? Or just to I buy a 3.5mm neoprene with a 600 gram boot.

Depends where in FL you are hunting. I use 1000gram neoprene, but I hunt in N FL where it gets colder. Plus I only use em on certain hunts since I mostly do everything from my boat.

Sent from my Huawei U8800-51 using Tapatalk 2
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:24 pm

Up until this season I've always had neoprene waders...my old waders finally gave out, so I bought a pair of Cabelas Breathable Plus waders, and I'll never go back. I hunted temps ranging from 85 down to the teens, and the breathable waders outperformed the neoprenes I had previously in all temps and conditions. I actually think the breathables kept me warmer in cold weather because they didn't retain moisture and humidity inside. They're also a hell of a lot more comfortable and easier to move around in.

Breathables get my vote.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:24 am

I have neoprene, will be buying breathable when mine wear out. The trick to warmth is layers. You can make them as warm as you want with proper clothing and footwear underneath. Then you just wear the breathable she'll when its hot. You can't take hot neoprene off when its 85 outside.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:41 am

So what to wear under the breathable? To stay warm? Because standing in water in a big pond while hunting the breathable will not keep me warm?!
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:02 am

YJSONLY wrote:So what to wear under the breathable? To stay warm? Because standing in water in a big pond while hunting the breathable will not keep me warm?!

Get a set of long john thermals. I will wear them under sweat pants instead of jeans. Cotton is much warmer IMO. Socks, just get a good thick pair. From waste up is left at your discretion.

Sent from my Huawei U8800-51 using Tapatalk 2
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:54 am

Get a pair of wader pants from Cabelas or wherever...very warm, and they have the elastic foot loop to keep them from riding up. Thermals are also a must when it gets really cold, as are wool socks.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:49 am

DUCK-DAWG wrote:Get a pair of wader pants from Cabelas or wherever...very warm, and they have the elastic foot loop to keep them from riding up. Thermals are also a must when it gets really cold, as are wool socks.

This. I wear winter pants like duck dawg mentioned, underneath a pair of insulated fleece underwear, Underneath a pair of fleece insulated duck hunting pants. I use ankle Gators to keep everything from riding up when I put my waders on. Couple that with wool socks and toasty toes and your warm into sub freezing temperature. I have found fleece to be the warmest material. Just remember, Layers layers layers.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:55 pm

I know layering is key. I just did not realize how much 3.5 keeps you warmer. But I will get some pants to go under I like the idea of being able to use the lighter wader when it is hot. After all we are in Florida.
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby BigBend » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:19 pm

I usually buy the thinnest, cheapest neoprene waders i can find from cabelas. those usually end up being the 3.5, still keep you warm when you layer, dont break the bank and work good for how damn hot it gets. But i ususally hunt out of my boat and wear some nice warm cabelas bibs, that i can take off easilly for when it gets hot.

from the sound of the other posters I may have to look into some breathables though...
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby quackhunter99 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:34 pm

I use Mack prarie wings 3.5mm
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby QuacknStrut » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:25 pm

Have had breathable waist waders for 3 years, wear them for shallow hunts and boat hunting. Just got chest breathables and I love them. I wore them and broke ice in MS this year and they were fine. Layers. The best long underwear you can afford, under wader pants with fleece. Silk liner socks under wool socks. I will get some more neorenes for the really cold hunts and might use them 2-3 times a year at most.
QuacknStrut
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting