Questions on species

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Questions on species

Postby irishff727 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:26 pm

Ok was reading another thread where a guy got pissed at a newbie who couldnt or didn't properly indentify his ducks. So here is my question, I am totally New to duck hunting, I passed on doing any this year so I can acquire gear practice with my shotgun, figure out what tubes and ammo my gun likes for best pattern, learning stuff about calls or when not to call and read a few different books on iding ducks. Now I have done some scouting here and there and done my best not to piss anyone off and here is what I come up with, it is dam hard, for me anyway, to I'd ducks when they cone swoopin in almost feels like I am gonna miss them if I take a shot. So I have been trying to figure out easier way, flight patterns, decent and general facts. So what info do you all have to offer. I don't want to be one of the "black hoodie" that everyone on here seems to hate.
really? really?
irishff727
hunter

Re: Questions on species

Postby bdub » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:12 pm

Im new to this also so take with a grain of salt, and any vets please correct me if i sound like a idiot. but what I did was learn what the majority of the birds are that you will be hunting in your area. For example i dont waist my time learning flight patterns of a halequin because I probly will never see one. Then the best thing to do is go out one morning and hide really really well. Get some binoculars out and watch them as they fly with the binoculars and after you ID them you can watch what they look like as they are flying from a distance. I spent about 3 days last year aftert the season doing this. Helped alot.
bdub
hunter

Postby BigBend » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:18 pm

It all comes with time, the more obsessed you become with it the easier it gets. Like bdub said learn what birds are in your area, then you'll notice the rarer birds.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:23 pm

If you have the gear and the time, the next few weeks would be the perfect time to get out and become competent at IDing birds on the wing. Just because the season is over doesn't mean you can't get out there and decoy birds...and this time of year there are usually plenty of them hanging around.

Something else I would suggest would be to spend the first few weeks of next season focused on DECOYING ducks as your #1 priority. Any jackass can kill a duck that's in range...in fact, some of the worst hunters I've ever seen were some of the best shots, pass shooting ducks out beyond 60 and 70 yards. That's not hunting though, not to me at least. If a duck comes within range, and you know what it is, take it. Otherwise, let the bird land in the spread and ID him that way. Not only will you be learning how to ID ducks, you'll become a better duck hunter this way.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:28 pm

BigBend wrote:It all comes with time, the more obsessed you become with it the easier it gets. Like bdub said learn what birds are in your area, then you'll notice the rarer birds.

This. Takes lots of time and experience to learn flight patterns and what not. My grandpa always told me if you see a white belly you can bet its a duck. At a distance you can distinguish some birds by just seeing faint colors of white on wings, wing beats, etc. However, this also comes with time and viewing birds up close. Find someone to tag along with who has been doing it a while, best way to learn IMO.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:29 pm

DUCK-DAWG wrote:If you have the gear and the time, the next few weeks would be the perfect time to get out and become competent at IDing birds on the wing. Just because the season is over doesn't mean you can't get out there and decoy birds...and this time of year there are usually plenty of them hanging around.

Something else I would suggest would be to spend the first few weeks of next season focused on DECOYING ducks as your #1 priority. Any jackass can kill a duck that's in range...in fact, some of the worst hunters I've ever seen were some of the best shots, pass shooting ducks out beyond 60 and 70 yards. That's not hunting though, not to me at least. If a duck comes within range, and you know what it is, take it. Otherwise, let the bird land in the spread and ID him that way. Not only will you be learning how to ID ducks, you'll become a better duck hunter this way.

Well said
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby irishff727 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:37 pm

Good to know. I was already leaning towards getting out and scouting and watching birds. Sadly my grandpa who was a great duck hunter passed and sadly I only ever bugged him for knowledge on deer and pig and elk. Never thought to say " hey, can we go duck hunting?" Just seems tough to find someone willing to take a newbie under their wing and show em the ropes

really? really?
irishff727
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:36 pm

irishff727 wrote:Good to know. I was already leaning towards getting out and scouting and watching birds. Sadly my grandpa who was a great duck hunter passed and sadly I only ever bugged him for knowledge on deer and pig and elk. Never thought to say " hey, can we go duck hunting?" Just seems tough to find someone willing to take a newbie under their wing and show em the ropes

really? really?

Where are you located

Sent from my Huawei U8800-51 using Tapatalk 2

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby irishff727 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:12 pm

West palm beach

really? really?
irishff727
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:22 pm

irishff727 wrote:West palm beach

really? really?

If you were closer to my part of the state I'd help ya out but you are just a little out of range.

Sent from my Huawei U8800-51 using Tapatalk 2

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:23 pm

You've got to get rid of that "really? really?" thing...
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby BigBend » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:13 pm

DUCK-DAWG wrote:You've got to get rid of that "really? really?" thing...

X2
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby irishff727 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:01 pm

Ok guys Sig is changed

cause everyone hated my last Sig
irishff727
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:07 pm

Im not from FL, but i visit and was just checking back in on the FL forum. Figured I would throw my .02 in here. Next season will be my 10th year duck hunting, and I see thousands of ducks every year up in MD. It gets easier as time goes along to identify them in flight, but if you arent sure, set the gun down and grab your binos. I still have trouble sometimes IDing ducks in flight if its in low light and I dont have binos on them. We have tons of black ducks up in Maryland, and everyone thats new thinks theyre mallards when they come in at first light, and that 1 black per day limit gets you. I personally scout really hard on a area at least twice while ducks are hitting a spot before I hunt it. I will sit there with binos and study the birds, and take note of the different species. That way I know that, hey, well get 3 or 4 groups of 6 or 7 blacks at first light before any mallards come in so be careful to only shoot 1. Or, hey the little ducks coming in 2 min after legal are all woodies, they arent teal or divers. Knowing your area and what species are using the spot your hunting narrows down what you have to identify. Other than that, you will start to learn that bigger ducks are puddlers, smaller ducks can be teal woodies or divers. They all act differently when theyre coming in and sound different, fly in groups differently. It will come with time, but in the mean time try to hunt with experienced friends, they will help you learn the different wing beats, colors, sounds, formations, different cork screws out of high altitudes, tailfeather shapes against the sunrise etc... But get some good binos! They are a great tool even for experienced fowlers! Good luck!
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting