Looking for chocolate lab puppy in north central fl

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Looking for chocolate lab puppy in north central fl

Postby Cjohnston85 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:12 pm

I'm trying to find chocolate lab puppies in north central
Florida for a reasonable price, anybody have any ideas?
Cjohnston85
Newb

Re: Looking for chocolate lab puppy in north central fl

Postby dogyak » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:17 pm

Contact Central florida hunting retriever club , they had a web site , there will be a list of numbers , called that president , he will beable to help you . I belong to northeast florida hunting retriever club , someone always know about a litter coming out .
dogyak
hunter

Postby chris_k » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:23 am

Cjohnston85 wrote:I'm trying to find chocolate lab puppies in north central
Florida for a reasonable price, anybody have any ideas?

If price is an issue for you. Dont get a dog.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:42 am

I think he means he doesn't want to spend 2500 on a puppy
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:31 pm

I understand what the op is saying. Some of this people's pricing is very high. I understand that you get what you pay for. But to pay 2500 for a pup. Then all vet bills and time and training for a dog... Not everyone can afford 2500 for just the pup!
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:43 pm

I don't know where 2500 came from , but I run hunt test and field trials , you can get a well bred lab with heatlh cert. like OFA hips, eyes , elbows , and EIC with 2 yr quarantee for any where 600 to 1000 , for 2500 , you can get a started dog , this is one that has been force fetch train , cc , marks singles to 100 yds , sometimes even doubles , is steady to the gun and whistle sit and come . The age of a started dog is from 1 yr to 2 yr .
dogyak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:22 pm

I paid $300 for mine.

Sent from a busted phone with a mediocre app
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:32 pm

I just threw 2500 out there. I saw a guy trying to sell unstarted pups for 2500 online a few weeks ago
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:16 pm

yeah , some breeders try to jacked up the price , funny thing is most are from show dogs , what we call bench labs . Most of these dogs had the hunting instincts bred out , only bred for looks . I also LMAO when a newbie shows up with an over price dog at our retriever club , the pup just don't have the goods . Then we have the guys that get into duck hunting all of a sudden who think by paying the most money for everything is going to make them better . About aweek ago , this one guy in orange park just guy a pup for 2000 out of Va , should have seen his face when I said you couuld have gotten a great dog in fla for cheaper , then told him he had a nice looling pup , but really foolish guys out there .
dogyak
hunter

Postby Cjohnston85 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:52 pm

Thanks for the info just looking for a good looking dog in the 500 or less range if it turns into a great hunting dog good, if not there still great dogs.
Cjohnston85
Newb

Postby dogyak » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:14 pm

if I remember , there was a post in united waterflowlers of florida of a litter , hunting stock AKC labs for 500 , even had heatlh cert. , if you take your time and don't rush , by all means get a retriever that hunts , if you just want a pet , then go to the pound , don't pay for a dog with hope that you really don't have a hunting buddy , like I said contact the local retriever clubs and check this ad's and the united waterfowler's ad's .
dogyak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:30 pm

Personally, I don't think bloodline means squat. We were not "born to hunt" out of the womb. We were taught in some way or another. A dog is not born to hunt or retrieve because the father won some field trials or whatever. The dog was taught or trained to retrieve by someone. My lab doesn't hunt with me, doesn't mean she can't though. I just never completely trained her to do so. Don't get talked into forking out a mortgage payment on a dog because someone said they are worth it. Just my .02.

WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:29 pm

genetics does have alot to do with it , the nose , drive , trainability , calmness , and etc . A good breeder for hunt test or trials does this all the time , I've been involve with retrievers my hole life , always since I was a kid , bred to hunting stock my granddad , dad , and me , and I'm 53 . Some folk's get lucky sometimes and get a dog that works out , but most of the time it don't work out . See it all the time , people buy it , bring it out , dog just don't have it , even the pro's tell then that , now the funny part , they want the pro to train them and they get turn down , why , genetics , they could have took the 600 to 700 amonth , but knew this would be wrong , and by the way , when a pro takes the dog , has to be with the pro for 3 months , they all do that . The lab is one of the most after dog in america , and because of that , the bad breeders just put them out in numbers no matter if their hips or whatever is mess up , but everone wants a lab . Most people don't know or how to teach a gun dog , and if it does not fetch , then you have to force fetch , and if you don't know how to do this which most don't , you will mess the pup up anyway , can't learn that from a dvd either . You have a better chance with good genetics .
dogyak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:39 pm

dogyak wrote:genetics does have alot to do with it , the nose , drive , trainability , calmness , and etc . A good breeder for hunt test or trials does this all the time , I've been involve with retrievers my hole life , always since I was a kid , bred to hunting stock my granddad , dad , and me , and I'm 53 . Some folk's get lucky sometimes and get a dog that works out , but most of the time it don't work out . See it all the time , people buy it , bring it out , dog just don't have it , even the pro's tell then that , now the funny part , they want the pro to train them and they get turn down , why , genetics , they could have took the 600 to 700 amonth , but knew this would be wrong , and by the way , when a pro takes the dog , has to be with the pro for 3 months , they all do that . The lab is one of the most after dog in america , and because of that , the bad breeders just put them out in numbers no matter if their hips or whatever is mess up , but everone wants a lab . Most people don't know or how to teach a gun dog , and if it does not fetch , then you have to force fetch , and if you don't know how to do this which most don't , you will mess the pup up anyway , can't learn that from a dvd either . You have a better chance with good genetics .

I would still rather take the cheaper pup and work hard to get it trained well than pay a grand or more for the pup and then several hundred more for someone else to train it. Even if the dog doesn't turn out the way you planned you still have an awesome companion for several years. I see the dog as a family member, others just see them as a tool and there is nothing wrong with that.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:04 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:Personally, I don't think bloodline means squat. We were not "born to hunt" out of the womb. We were taught in some way or another. A dog is not born to hunt or retrieve because the father won some field trials or whatever. The dog was taught or trained to retrieve by someone. My lab doesn't hunt with me, doesn't mean she can't though. I just never completely trained her to do so. Don't get talked into forking out a mortgage payment on a dog because someone said they are worth it. Just my .02.

I have to disagree with you on this one. A dog that comes from proven parents has a much better chance of being a great dog. I've owned the dog with no pedigree and now have one that comes off trial dogs with masters titles on both the dame and sires sides. I'm by no means any sort of trainer. My dog is extremely intelligent and receptive to what I've taught her. Huge difference between her and the previous dog. I use to think the same thing, that you get out of a dog what you put in, no matter the pedigree. There's some truths to that, but a dogs bloodline is the difference in a great dog and a decent dog. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken chit.

To the op, $500.00 will get you a fine dog. Good luck. :thumbsup:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:20 pm

waterdogds wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:Personally, I don't think bloodline means squat. We were not "born to hunt" out of the womb. We were taught in some way or another. A dog is not born to hunt or retrieve because the father won some field trials or whatever. The dog was taught or trained to retrieve by someone. My lab doesn't hunt with me, doesn't mean she can't though. I just never completely trained her to do so. Don't get talked into forking out a mortgage payment on a dog because someone said they are worth it. Just my .02.

Agreed. I would never pay more than that amount for a lab. Other breeds like chessies is understandable, but labs are a dime a dozen.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:39 pm

waterdogds wrote:

I have to disagree with you on this one. A dog that comes from proven parents has a much better chance of being a great dog. I've owned the dog with no pedigree and now have one that comes off trial dogs with masters titles on both the dame and sires sides. I'm by no means any sort of trainer. My dog is extremely intelligent and receptive to what I've taught her. Huge difference between her and the previous dog. I use to think the same thing, that you get out of a dog what you put in, no matter the pedigree. There's some truths to that, but a dogs bloodline is the difference in a great dog and a decent dog. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken chit.
as you can see , waterdogds has been thru this and has first hand knowledge , no one here said to spend 1000 for a pup I think , in fact I said there was a litter in united waterfowlers of fl for 300 or 400 for akc labs from hunting stock , they had the sire and dam , pedigree helps , these days most breeders bred for show or worst for profit with disreguard of health and working . It's called line breeding , mother to son , son to sister and so on , get the point . Spend that 300 or whatever on a pup and a year later hips are bad , now you and family as you said are attached , now you need 8000.00 for the hips , I will not chance it myself .
dogyak
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting