dogs v gators

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

dogs v gators

Postby stealfeathers » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:32 pm

This could be a touchy subject if it happened to your companion. But i grew up hunting central florida and so did my grandpa and father. We have always used dogs just in certian situations we wont send our dogs out on retrieves if there is a capable dog eating gator around. And we wont hunt a dog in deep water. I have been stationed in nc and have been hunting here for the last four years. There is gators but not near as many as florida or as big. This season ill be back in fl and im planning using my dog. Has the gator situation gotten worse since 2009? Anybody have any horror storys? I have never had a problem with gators being aggressive towards me or my dog, but id be devastated if it were to happen.
stealfeathers
hunter

Re: dogs v gators

Postby whaknstak » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:23 am

UF has only lost three times in the last 20 years to UGA. Gators > dawgs.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:16 am

whaknstak wrote:UF has only lost three times in the last 20 years to UGA. Gators > dawgs.

:lol3: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:18 am

stealfeathers wrote:This could be a touchy subject if it happened to your companion. But i grew up hunting central florida and so did my grandpa and father. We have always used dogs just in certian situations we wont send our dogs out on retrieves if there is a capable dog eating gator around. And we wont hunt a dog in deep water. I have been stationed in nc and have been hunting here for the last four years. There is gators but not near as many as florida or as big. This season ill be back in fl and im planning using my dog. Has the gator situation gotten worse since 2009? Anybody have any horror storys? I have never had a problem with gators being aggressive towards me or my dog, but id be devastated if it were to happen.

Its always a risk. Many of hunters use dogs all over FL. I personally don't hunt with my dog and I would be too worried and cautious if I did. If you are hunting coastal salt marsh then Id say go for it, but since you are inland you will always be taking a risk. You may not see that gator, but it doesn't mean he isn't lingering under the surface.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:30 am

Please...UGA leads the rivalry 49-40, and we've won the last two. Let's get back to topic though, this man asked a serious question. Stealfeathers, make no mistake about it, a big gator will take a dog down. This one has probably eaten a few folks' labs:

DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:52 am

DUCK-DAWG wrote:Please...UGA leads the rivalry 49-40, and we've won the last two. Let's get back to topic though, this man asked a serious question. Stealfeathers, make no mistake about it, a big gator will take a dog down. This one has probably eaten a few folks' labs:

I sure hope that F stands for "FLUFFY," and not Florida.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:04 am

That's the captain of the UF baton twirling squad...
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:46 am

Looks like we hit a nerve :-o

All in good fun d-d lol
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:00 am

No nerves were hit. My post was meant to be a joke...all in good fun, I just couldn't resist. :yes:
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:02 am

DUCK-DAWG wrote:That's the captain of the UF baton twirling squad...

Looks like she ate the squad

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Id rather not get a piece of that gators tail! Most likely whatever she attacks doesnt come back the same
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:10 pm

stealfeathers wrote:Id rather not get a piece of that gators tail! Most likely whatever she attacks doesnt come back the same

You would need a sack of flour just to find that gator's "tail". :eek:
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:38 pm

DUCK-DAWG wrote:
stealfeathers wrote:Id rather not get a piece of that gators tail! Most likely whatever she attacks doesnt come back the same

You would need a sack of flour just to find that gator's "tail". :eek:

:lol:

Sent from a busted phone with a mediocre app

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:03 pm

Im very much lookin foward to movin back. Nc is some difficult and very sporadic hunting. I def killed a wider variety up here but its nothing like hunting the marshes i grew up hunting . Has duck dynasty boomed the junior commanders populatiin down there as well as up here?
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Love it when gator fans bring up the UF-UGA record for only the last 20 years or so (whatever suits them i guess...) to try and make some sort of point and then when FSU fans talk about the 19-19-1 against UF since the bowden years started they wanna throw the all time record in our face and say thats all that matters....lol when we going turkey hunting mitchell?
:beer:

:hijack: by college football rivalries, it is march after all...... :biggrin:
You pay for you!

Postby whaknstak » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:56 am

20 years is a good while I don't think two decades is picking and choosing. I could care less who won in 1924. I try and keep it relevant to the time frame of which Im familiar and have been around long enough to witness.

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:55 am

FlaWoodie wrote:Love it when gator fans bring up the UF-UGA record for only the last 20 years or so (whatever suits them i guess...) to try and make some sort of point and then when FSU fans talk about the 19-19-1 against UF since the bowden years started they wanna throw the all time record in our face and say thats all that matters....lol when we going turkey hunting mitchell?
:beer:

:hijack: by college football rivalries, it is march after all...... :biggrin:

Only year that matters is the most recent :hammer: Suck it Justin!

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:58 am

I agree with you, and is the point I was trying to make. I just know too many gators who think they totally own FSU in football because they used to stomp us every year back in the 50's and have the overall record. But then bust out the "recent years" argument when they are talkin about UGA. :fingerpt: You can pick apart anything to make it seem the way you want. Hell here was a 20 year period when UF only beat FSU 6 times. doesn't mean FSU>UF :thumbsup:
You pay for you!

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:59 pm

FlaWoodie wrote:I agree with you, and is the point I was trying to make. I just know too many gators who think they totally own FSU in football because they used to stomp us every year back in the 50's and have the overall record. But then bust out the "recent years" argument when they are talkin about UGA. :fingerpt: You can pick apart anything to make it seem the way you want. Hell here was a 20 year period when UF only beat FSU 6 times. doesn't mean FSU>UF :thumbsup:

I just remembered you're a gator fan, my bad :oops:

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:13 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:
FlaWoodie wrote:I agree with you, and is the point I was trying to make. I just know too many gators who think they totally own FSU in football because they used to stomp us every year back in the 50's and have the overall record. But then bust out the "recent years" argument when they are talkin about UGA. :fingerpt: You can pick apart anything to make it seem the way you want. Hell here was a 20 year period when UF only beat FSU 6 times. doesn't mean FSU>UF :thumbsup:

I just remembered you're a gator fan, my bad :oops:

Whoa....no he's not. He's an imposter. He's a nole fan that goes to UF. :hammer:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:39 pm

waterdog is right about me being a nole fan and going to UF. An imposter??? im not sure about that since I don't ever front like I'm a gator fan even when im down here .everyone here(that knows me) knows i bleed G&G. And I am strictly talking about football here folks. I do really like my school and enjoy my program of study which is the only one in the state of Florida, and giving them all my $ ha!. :thumbsup: It would kinda be like moving to Canada to take a job you been wanting your whole life and not being pro U.S.A anymore. Not-a-gonna happen! im sure some of you might not like that analogy lol.
You pay for you!

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:09 pm

FlaWoodie wrote:waterdog is right about me being a nole fan and going to UF. An imposter??? im not sure about that since I don't ever front like I'm a gator fan even when im down here .everyone here(that knows me) knows i bleed G&G. And I am strictly talking about football here folks. I do really like my school and enjoy my program of study which is the only one in the state of Florida, and giving them all my $ ha!. :thumbsup: It would kinda be like moving to Canada to take a job you been wanting your whole life and not being pro U.S.A anymore. Not-a-gonna happen! im sure some of you might not like that analogy lol.

I retract my statement. Go Gators :thumbsup:

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:14 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:
FlaWoodie wrote:waterdog is right about me being a nole fan and going to UF. An imposter??? im not sure about that since I don't ever front like I'm a gator fan even when im down here .everyone here(that knows me) knows i bleed G&G. And I am strictly talking about football here folks. I do really like my school and enjoy my program of study which is the only one in the state of Florida, and giving them all my $ ha!. :thumbsup: It would kinda be like moving to Canada to take a job you been wanting your whole life and not being pro U.S.A anymore. Not-a-gonna happen! im sure some of you might not like that analogy lol.

I retract my statement. Go Gators :thumbsup:

If you ain't a Gator, you're Gator bait. :thumbsup:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:18 pm

And if you're gator bait this is your predator!

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:57 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:Image

And if you're gator bait this is your predator!

Pretty sure that F stands for FAT and not Florida. :lol3: :lol3:
waterdogds
hunter

Next

Return to Florida Duck Hunting