Jacksonville native looking for a teacher next season

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Jacksonville native looking for a teacher next season

Postby elite56 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:25 pm

Hey all. I'm a Jacksonville native looking to get into duck hunting next season and as the title says I'm looking for someone else that can show me the ropes, help me get prepared, and perhaps take me out on my first duck hunt next season. The reason that I am asking for someone to introduce me into the sport is because all though I have grown up using guns neither of my parents are into hunting and I do not know anyone who duck hunts. This led me to seek out this forum. I am young, as you could probably tell by my reference to my parents. I'm 18 years old graduating from high school this June and attending UNF. Even though I am young I am very mature for my age in both mental and physical characteristics. I am a recently awarded eagle scout and have many people confuse me for someone who is in their high 20s. I don't mean to come off as a beggar in any way in this thread. I'm willing to split costs and pay for any of my expenses. I'm just looking for someone in northeast Florida that has the patience and time to introduce a new youth into the duck hunting sport.
elite56
hunter

Re: Jacksonville native looking for a teacher next season

Postby hunt-chessies » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:40 pm

I'll shoot you a PM...
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby YJSONLY » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:26 am

As a fellow eagle congrats. And good luck. I would show you the way but I am still figuring things out myself. With help of a buddy from time to time.
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby elite56 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:16 pm

I appreciate the encouragement. So far the forums been a big help in getting me started out just with all of the information and all of the friendly floridians reaching out to me and offering their knowledge. Right now it's just a big learning experience for me :thumbsup:
elite56
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:33 pm

So inquiring minds want to know...why are you interested in learning to duck hunt? What turned you on to the sport?
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby elite56 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:50 pm

Well as I said in my original post I'm an Eagle Scout so I've always been had a love for the outdoors. Even though Boy Scouts may not seem like an organization you would use firearms in, I've put hundreds of rounds through shotguns for skeet shooting in Boy Scouts alone and I really enjoyed it and it helped that I was pretty decent at it. Now that I'm 18 and I have the means and the age to get started I just put two and two together and that's how I arrived at duck hunting.
elite56
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:30 am

Hmm. OK then.

Well get familiar with http://www.myfwc.com. Here is a good place to start: http://www.myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/waterfowl/

Read and be familiar with all the regs for waterfowl hunting and any other hunting you plan to do. Make sure you have the proper licenses as well.

Also, some guys may not see the "helping to pay thing" as a way to get in their boat. You might also offer your time, perhaps helping do some work on their boat, hunting property, etc. Up here in VA i refuse to take out the guys who just want to pay for gas and breakfast. I always took out the guys that helped my build my duckblinds on our lease, build my boat blind, and just came along for the ride when we were out scouting. Another hunter giving you their time is more valuable to me than gas money in my opinion.

Glad to see another waterfowler join the ranks. I would offer to help you out next season, but i will either be on deployment or back up in VA for the entire season. Good luck to you.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby elite56 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:01 am

Thanks for the advice and the input. Hope to see ya around jax some time.
elite56
hunter

Postby FlatLiner13 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:55 pm

Hey elite56,
Shoot me a PM.
FlatLiner13
hunter

Postby Capt Jeff Kraynik » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:36 pm

You cover the fuel in the airboat & I'll be more than happy to guide you (1) one morning.

Also we will be hosting another free FWC Waterfowl Workshop this Oct @ the Palm Bay Police Department Training Center.

Dates TBA.
"Don't take life so seriously, you'll never get out alive"

321-863-9182
Waterfowl-Alligator-Light-Tackle Saltwater Flats Fishing
Capt Jeff Kraynik
hunter

Postby Belly up dux » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:55 am

I will tell you that you have to do the work. Many of us in Jax run in a tight group and play the cards close to our vest. There is plenty of public land and birds if you do the work to find them. Nothing will tick us off more than going to a spot we found to see 6 people set up on it because their friend told them about it and it is someone we know. Help you, yes. Give you info, yes. Tell you where the birds are? Nope.
Belly up dux
State Moderator

Postby elite56 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:31 pm

Thanks for the interest in everyone willing to help me out. I really am grateful for how many people there are in north florida willing to lend a hand to a complete stranger. Right now I'm still just in the learning/reading phase. I'm trying to learn everything and figure out everything that I need right now. I haven't had a lot of time because of classes and my college exams coming up but I'm definitely going to do my work over the summer when I have the time. I can tell that I have my work cut out for me but I really think it will all pay off in the long run.
elite56
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:18 pm

hollar at me when you get a break and we can do some fishing and i'll point out a few things and a couple places for you to keep an eye on!!
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby elite56 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Will do man, I'll be sure to take you up on your offer when I'm done. I''ll be finished with everything somewhere near the end of May. Just the home stretch left now.
elite56
hunter

Postby Belly up dux » Thu May 09, 2013 5:49 am

Hope your exams are going well. I have a funky work schedule and am often off during the week kicking around the house. Drop me a PM and we can get together and talk some ducks and hunting.
Belly up dux
State Moderator

Return to Florida Duck Hunting