Duck Hunting Budget

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Duck Hunting Budget

Postby bdub » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:13 am

Trying to be a pay a little closer to my money during duck season. Last year I just spent it as I went and didnt think twice about it. This year Im going to at least pay attention.

Just curious on how much you guys put to the side for duck season every year.

After licenses, stamps, gas, boat stuff and food Im close to $800. And thats considering I only have to drive about 30 mins to the water. I dont need shells, decoys, or and kinda camo this year.
bdub
hunter

Re: Duck Hunting Budget

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:12 am

Stop what you're doing...right now. Sometimes it's just better to be ignorant. Besides, can you really put a price tag on your happiness?

If you do follow through with a budget, don't tell your significant other what you spent last year...or what you intend to spend this year. Nothing good will come of it. Nothing.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby erp10 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:23 am

My wife kept track of how much I spent on gas when I hunted for ten days in a row. Do not keep track. I repeat do not keep track. If you do it can only lead to problems.
erp10
hunter

Postby bdub » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:26 am

this is more of a curiostiy thing than really trying to stick to only spending so much money. My wife knows that during duck season i spend tons of our money. I was wondering if anyone actually ever kept track of it. This is the most expensive thing Ive ever done RIGHT next to buying a house :biggrin:
bdub
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:08 pm

I'm not sure about everything else, but I know I spent at least 500 on licenses this year between Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Missouri licenses.
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:53 pm

dude if you ONLY spent $800 your doing amazing!! I've dropped that in a single trip many times.... If i really had to take a guess i would say im alot closer to 8000 than i am 800. I did keep track of how any miles i put on my truck one season. From sep thru feb (and this was everything from hunting, to work, to whatever) i put 60,000 miles on my truck. That was the 2010/2011 season. I dont even want to know what i spent that fall but i sure did have one heck of a season :beer:
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:57 pm

Yeah if you have to budget, I'd make a separate account and drop 100$ in it each pay period till season. That's how I do it for my montana trip
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby chris_k » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:00 am

I spend more than $10,000 a season. Why are you commingling $ with your woman?
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby bdub » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:59 am

No. she always complains about how much money it cost. everytime i have to fill up or when I get a package in the mail. I was just curious on how much money most people spend who dont do that big trip out west or any big purchases
bdub
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:28 pm

don't worry about it just spend it man!! I end up spending everything I have on duck huntin every year. I end up have nothing to show except for ducks and gear and a dang good time!! wouldn't have it any other way I don't want anything else.
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby 0321Tony » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:31 pm

I have the world's best wife. She hunts with me and allows me to hunt as much as I want without her as well. Her only rule is that all the bills be paid. After that she doesn't care how much I spend on hunting. Although I think she may be surprised if she knew exactly how much I spend.
And no we are not newly weds still in the honeymoon phase.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
0321Tony
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Before season- Happiness>Money
During season- Happiness>Money
After season- Happiness<Debt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun May 05, 2013 9:41 am

bdub wrote:No. she always complains about how much money it cost. everytime i have to fill up or when I get a package in the mail. I was just curious on how much money most people spend who dont do that big trip out west or any big purchases

If she is complaining about the costs of your hobby, maybe you should complain about hers, and also remind her of who is making the $$. Mine pays for the utilities, and I pay the mortgage. What I do with my money is none of her business and what she does with hers is none of mine. Get separate accounts, and tell her she only has one account to worry about now :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Coonrod » Wed May 08, 2013 2:11 pm

DUCK-DAWG wrote:Stop what you're doing...right now. Sometimes it's just better to be ignorant. Besides, can you really put a price tag on your happiness?

If you do follow through with a budget, don't tell your significant other what you spent last year...or what you intend to spend this year. Nothing good will come of it. Nothing.

Good Lord, I couldn't agree more.
And I'm an accountant.
Ignorance is bliss.
Coonrod
hunter

Postby Fowlweather_13 » Wed May 22, 2013 4:18 pm

I am a high school Economics teacher and I made my students budget their favorite hobby so as an example I budgeted duck hunting which is my passion I just have to work to afford it. My total after everything, and that means everything from the 4 boats and the Lic and regrestration on them every year to wear and tear on them and my truck and the personal Lic and duck stamp. Along with gun, shells, decoys , calls, clothing, food, gas, dog, dog food, vet bills and Land Lease payments I am at around 4,400 a year invested into my hobby.
Fowlweather_13
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Wed May 22, 2013 6:32 pm

This is something I don't ever want to know. Lets see this month...new both 15,000, GPS $500, Trolling motor $500. I am at roughly 17k for the year so far. Did I mention we just bought the wife a new car.

My wife does the books and she knows what we can spend. She loves to hunt and hates to shop so WIN WIN for me. We don't have much debt so 2/3 of my salary pays all our bills 1/3 to savings and her salary for savings and fun.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting