Its about time. I got a question... Locals (Sanford,Debary)

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Its about time. I got a question... Locals (Sanford,Debary)

Postby mgoldschmidt » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Hey locals...

I have been putting in at the Jessup Lake Park - and Hunting the North side of Jessup - directly north of Bird Island. I have been using a blind-ed 17ft flats boat, and Im going to try my 13ft Vhaul this year. Man, I want a mudbuddy....

Anyway, I figured my little 14ft with its 15hp will get me shallower that last year. I did not have great luck last year - but some. (enough to go out again this year)

Id like to put in at the 46 bridge - and go south on the river and hunt along the west side of the river and into Jessup. Not to step on anyone elsed toes who goes in that way, but any suggestions on where to set up at?

As a matter of fact, Id like to go out Monday (first weekday of early season, and I dont think my hunting buddy can get off work - so I could take along someone to show me where to go.

I wouldnt be posting this, but you all seem pretty open about sharing info... uknlike other hunters who are very protective over there hunting spots.

email me - and we can figure somethingout...

mgoldschmidt@yahoo.com
mgoldschmidt
hunter

Re: Its about time. I got a question... Locals (Sanford,Deba

Postby kg4yus » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:23 pm

I try to help my fellow duckhunter out anyway I can, barring giving someon GPS coords to a spot I plan to hunt, but I will steer someone in the right direction.
mgoldschmidt wrote:

you all seem pretty open about sharing info... uknlike other hunters who are very protective over there hunting spots.

I know exactly what you mean... If your not a member of a certain elitist group your not worthy being given any info, especially if you do not live in South Florida :eek:

Anyway, snipeshooter is in that area and can probably give you some tips.
Mossy Oak-Waterfowl Prostaff
Buck Gardner-Field Staff
Vice Chair- CFL Delta Waterfowl
Regional Director United Waterfowlers
FFWCC Hunter Safety Area Coordinator
kg4yus
hunter

coordinates..

Postby mgoldschmidt » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:31 am

hey man.... gps coordinates would help me BIG TIME!

what ever you can do....

thanks Man!
mgoldschmidt
hunter

Postby MattW » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:59 am

This will be my first time hunting here in Fl too. I'm around the West Deltona area.

Anybody know how the hunting is on Monroe?

I have been on the St. Johns and monroe several times but haven't seen many birds the times I was out.
MattW
hunter

Lake Monroe

Postby mgoldschmidt » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:52 pm

Welcome!

I am still to have a Good year yet in that area. I have had some luck in the North Jessup area. That would be between Jessup and Monroe - putting in at the first bridge on 46 out of Sanford. Honestly, I have seen more ducks while gator hunting and fishing down in Harney and Puzzle lake.

My world has just change, I picked up a Mud Motor - this will make Harney and Puzzle easier to get around in.

Let me know how you do.

The other option is Merrit Island. But I heard that it was freaking crazy out there during early season open - fights, dog quarrels, backed up ramps..... some guy even got shot sprinkeld on him from another hunter.

whatever..... Id rather have a slow day on the St. Johns than deal with that.

Let us know how you do.
mgoldschmidt
hunter

Postby kg4yus » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:22 pm

MattW,
How was your trip???
Mossy Oak-Waterfowl Prostaff
Buck Gardner-Field Staff
Vice Chair- CFL Delta Waterfowl
Regional Director United Waterfowlers
FFWCC Hunter Safety Area Coordinator
kg4yus
hunter

Postby MattW » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:28 pm

Trip went good. The kids loved the plane ride.
It was a relief to be back in the cooler air for a while. Kinda was starting to miss seeing my breath in the morning!

Went over to Gulf Shores Al. last weekend to hook up with a buddy from Ms. The Familys spent the weekend in a beach condo While him, his Dad and I spent a day out on the Gulf catching a mess of snapper.
Ended up with 4 limits, ours and the Capt.'s. Plus several bonita and a nice size King.
MattW
hunter

Postby mgoldschmidt » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:57 am

have any of you guys... MattW maybe, ever been down the canal south of Lake Ashby? its a long canal that runs down to harney. (in your debary area)

Im still looking for good waters... or should I say bad muchy, overgrown swamp that my mud motor can go in.

I never thought that I would be looking for areas that my outboard couldnt go - cool

the best place still for me, close and manageable is Puzzle and Laughlin

anyway, just thought Id ask
mgoldschmidt
hunter

Postby snipeshooter » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:17 am

Just got back from Wyoming. You are in some good areas but everything around here depends on the water level in the river. Went out scouting before I left in all the places you mention and the water was very low for this time of the year which is not good for the ducks. I did see a few teal but most areas were dry that hold birds this time of the year. Lets pray for some rain.
snipeshooter
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting