Leave goose decoys in Virginia?

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Leave goose decoys in Virginia?

Postby dwbiggs » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:20 pm

Will be in Melbourne for next season...I assume there is not enough Goose action to justify bringing my few dozen Goose decoys down...am I correct? Should I get rid of my Mallards as well?
Bonafide member of the National Ringneck Hunters Association(NRHA)
dwbiggs
hunter

Re: Leave goose decoys in Virginia?

Postby hunt-chessies » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:53 pm

unless you plan to hunt in neighborhood ponds or walmart.... you will not see either of those species in the open marsh pretty much anywhere here in florida. The one exception is if you find some open water near a golf course you may have the off chance at a golf course mallard or goose. Other than that neither of those migrate anywhere near us here in Florida. SUCKS!!!!!

we get nearly everything else in north america except geese and mallards. The bulk of our gunning is teal/ringer/Blue Bills/wood ducks and a little bit of everything else. Melborn puts you right in some of the best huntoing in the state. I think you will enjoy yourself if you can figure it out or get a coat tail to latch on to!!

Jeremy
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby dwbiggs » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:16 pm

Thanks Jeremy...that's what I figured...going to miss my Geese. :sad:

I'm trying to get a good start on trying to learn everything I can about hunting down there...what kind of boat to get, what locations to start in, rules, regs, etc. Got a canoe which I think I can use but will be looking for something bigger. Looking forward to getting into the mix...be funny not hunting in 20 degree weather though.
Bonafide member of the National Ringneck Hunters Association(NRHA)
dwbiggs
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:45 am

dwbiggs wrote:Thanks Jeremy...that's what I figured...going to miss my Geese. :sad:

I'm trying to get a good start on trying to learn everything I can about hunting down there...what kind of boat to get, what locations to start in, rules, regs, etc. Got a canoe which I think I can use but will be looking for something bigger. Looking forward to getting into the mix...be funny not hunting in 20 degree weather though.

Definitely wont be seeing any temps near 20 in Melbourne. Maybe on occasion in N. Florida. Your canoe will be ideal for many areas in Florida. That or a small Jon boat is all you really need. You will figure it out sooner than you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby ryano022 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:49 am

Yea hunting here after hunting in the north blows. I miss goose hunting, cold rainy miserable mornings, and especially the number/variety of birds you see. Go invest in lots of those thermacells and be ready to smacking Mosquitos away in January! Lol
ryano022
hunter

Postby ryano022 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:52 am

As of mallards, depending how many you have, I came down with 3 doz, I want to keep maybe 5 drakes and 1-1.5 doz hens and either sell or paint the others to ringers or blues. Not sure bout Melbourne but Orlando, you hardly see any mallards, you'll see some mottled ducks that look like hen mallards.
ryano022
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting