Merrit Island Impoundments

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Merrit Island Impoundments

Postby MiccosukeeMeatDog » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:54 pm

Hey yall! I just moved to Daytona from south GA where I hunted the lakes around Tallahassee, Monticello and Bainbridge and the panhandle/big bend coast for over 20 years. I've heard a LITTLE about the hunting in Mosquito Lagoon and Indian river but was wondering if anybody would be willing to give some insight about the Merrit Island area and the impoundments.
Not to good to water-swat!
MiccosukeeMeatDog
hunter

Re: Merrit Island Impoundments

Postby stealfeathers » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:57 pm

Alot of rules and regs. Make sure your legal game wardens everywhere. Can get crowded just like any impoundment. But can offer decent shoots just like some places up closer to Daytona. Good first post by the way welcome to duck chat.
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:38 pm

Not a good way to introduce yourself around here.... Good luck :beer:
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:19 am

hunt-chessies wrote:Not a good way to introduce yourself around here.... Good luck :beer:

Hes been trolling for 6 months
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby GAbirdhunter » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:06 pm

I know him personally hunt, he's solid, good hunter, good guy :thumbsup:
GAbirdhunter
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:34 pm

I never said anything about him personally. It's his first post ever and he asks for info. Info about one of the single most historic marshes in the state. Just rubs guys the wrong way

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby marshnole11 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:28 pm

heres some advice. figure it out for yourself. The refuge is huge and has different regs for different areas, make sure your legal because the man is everywhere.

also....It isnt anywhere even close to as good as it used to be. so dont put all your eggs in that basket. place could be barren if a few locks get cut and boards get pulled like it the past.
marshnole11
hunter

Postby MiccosukeeMeatDog » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:28 pm

Thank you to the couple folks that helped. I do appreciate it and will make sure im legal with all the quotas and permits. Well hunt-chessies and tmclaimer, what do you want me to do? give you my SS number and sign? i thought i introduced myself well enough and stated my question clearly. What is "trolling?" The only trolling I've heard of doing is off the back of a boat. I haven't been on here for 6 months since I signed up. I signed up because I knew i would be moving down here before this duck season and had heard about this sight from a friend and haven't been on here since. I'm sorry y'all are gettin y'alls panties in a wad from an honest question. See ya at the ramp! :thumbsup:
MiccosukeeMeatDog
hunter

Postby hunter7715 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:51 pm

you guys crack me up on here :lol3:
hunter7715
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:30 am

MiccosukeeMeatDog wrote:Thank you to the couple folks that helped. I do appreciate it and will make sure im legal with all the quotas and permits. Well hunt-chessies and tmclaimer, what do you want me to do? give you my SS number and sign? i thought i introduced myself well enough and stated my question clearly. What is "trolling?" The only trolling I've heard of doing is off the back of a boat. I haven't been on here for 6 months since I signed up. I signed up because I knew i would be moving down here before this duck season and had heard about this sight from a friend and haven't been on here since. I'm sorry y'all are gettin y'alls panties in a wad from an honest question. See ya at the ramp! :thumbsup:

Pump the brakes, meatdog. Just a little friendly advice on how :fingerpt: NOT :fingerpt: to ask questions about specific places on a public forum. That's what's known as cyber scouting around here. You don't just come out of the gates asking questions on your first post. There's a lot of good guys on here and most would go out of their way to help you, including hunt-chessies and tmclaimer :thumbsup: . You just need to know the proper way to ask for the help. Trolling, is the term given to those who join the forum and don't post for whatever reasons.

Welcome to Florida and DHC. :welcome:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:35 am

Most guys on here are friends. I've made very close friends from guysi met and talk to around here. All to often this time of year someone shows up and the first post is... well what can you tell me about this place?? No interest in being part of the group. No chit chat... just direct questions. Plenty of guys ( myself included) have and will help a new guy out but would you take a perfect stranger that just walked up to your door out to your best duck or fishing hole?? Answer is NO I'm sure so when you signed to 6 months ago, dont say a word then just before season start asking about some of the best hunting grounds in the state, yeah it comes off wrong. Sorry I'm sure your a nice guy. I didn't mean any offence

hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby MiccosukeeMeatDog » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:35 am

thank you waterdog and hunt-chessies. I apologize for gettin a little hot. I see where youre comin from. This misunderstanding shows how the typed word can be taken out of contex without the nonverbal communication cues. I'm not on here tryin to snake anybodies holes, just new to the area and the forum and unfamiliar with how the forum operates i reckon. let me try this again and try to get off on the right foot. the way i actually found out about the hunting down there was from a customer i sold a gun to in daytona. I work at Volusia Top Gun in south daytona and if any of yall need anything ill be glad to help. tons of ammo, tons of hard to get guns and one of our specialties is special orders for hunters and such.
MiccosukeeMeatDog
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:09 am

MiccosukeeMeatDog wrote:thank you waterdog and hunt-chessies. I apologize for gettin a little hot. I see where youre comin from. This misunderstanding shows how the typed word can be taken out of contex without the nonverbal communication cues. I'm not on here tryin to snake anybodies holes, just new to the area and the forum and unfamiliar with how the forum operates i reckon. let me try this again and try to get off on the right foot. the way i actually found out about the hunting down there was from a customer i sold a gun to in daytona. I work at Volusia Top Gun in south daytona and if any of yall need anything ill be glad to help. tons of ammo, tons of hard to get guns and one of our specialties is special orders for hunters and such.

I got my first gun from Bucks down there. A Baikal side by side 12ga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:26 pm

hunt-chessies , you want to get together and do alittle scouting of Merrit . We can take your boys and do some fishing while checking it out one weekend . Try to get one hunt in before your off overseas again . Give me a call brother . @ Meatdog - your last post was better with more class :thumbsup:
dogyak
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:02 pm

Meat dog... welcome to the forums, hope you stick around.

It's a little obvious but Google earth is your friend. Also best to get atleast a tour from someone that knows the place. It is big, complicated and heavily regulated. Birds come and go so the more scouting the better you will be. Those guys that live there are out scouting daily

hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby MiccosukeeMeatDog » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:22 am

hunt-chessies wrote:Meat dog... welcome to the forums, hope you stick around.

It's a little obvious but Google earth is your friend. Also best to get atleast a tour from someone that knows the place. It is big, complicated and heavily regulated. Birds come and go so the more scouting the better you will be. Those guys that live there are out scouting daily

That makes sense. I plan on getting down there soon and lookin around. What kind of depth is it down there? Will a jon boat or flats boat get back where I need to be? Right now I've got an 18.5' maverick and my sneakbox my grandfather made. I can get anywhere I want with the sneakbox and bamboo pole but lookin at google earth shows alot of water to cover.

@dogyak thank you

@tm yea bucks is a staple down here and before Volusia Top Gun opened I took a buddy there to get his first shotgun, a remington 870, but lately alot of their prices have been well above their competitors.
MiccosukeeMeatDog
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:28 pm

well if you read the rules you will notice that certian areas you need a permit for on the begining half of the season then they are open the last half. the other two are wide open all year long.

Most of 1,4, and 2 you could do with your sneek box. It's small, winding, very shallow except for the rim canals, and easy to move around for the most part. Birds really dont hold long to one spot so your going to want to learn as much ground as possible and again scout your butt off. Area 3 is the beach and it's a pain to get to. Most of the lagoon is a no motor zone. very hard to find the trails to the other side in the dark unless you know the area. then your going to have to either jump the dikes or unload a small boat and paddle once inside the inpoundments. for obvious reasons there are less guys out there and the ones that do go out are the salty dogs that grew up hunting out there for the most part. Kinda a hard group to get into. much like the russian mafia... LOL Hit me up and i will take ya along this season if you want. I'm no where near an expert out there but i can get around a few areas well enough.

hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby MiccosukeeMeatDog » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:38 am

Thank you for all the info. It's gold. I'll definitely take you up on that offer. I plan on goin down in the next two weeks and checking it out. I'll save you a spot as well if I get drawn in the lottery and also just goin down to the other areas. :beer:
MiccosukeeMeatDog
hunter

Postby Veteranfrank » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:18 pm

Greets All,

I was born and raised in Florida. Im an Edgewater native. After serving 9 years active duty in the Army I'm ready to come home and change my name from Sergeant back to Frank? My wife and I return to Edgewater this September. I'll have at least a 75% veteran disability but maintain a fair degree of mobility. I became a marksmanship instructor for the Army trained by the Army Marksmanship Unit at Fort Benning, i am a certified NRA Pistol instructor, I have competed in multiple civilian and military competitions, and I volunteered as an instructor for a Maryland Hunters Education class. Despite all my training and experience though, I am sadly and hilariously inexperienced in hunting. To put a finer point on my inexperience, I went on a single Minnesota deer hunt back in 1989. I am now 40 and want to learn with the exuberance of a teen but tempered with the patience and discipline of a seasoned Soldier. Does anyone have any friendly suggestions for a newbie like me to begin duck hunting? Are there hunt clubs I could start with? I also shoot trap and skeet with my wife. I am not afraid of going out on my own to try, but my gut tells me that would be a mistake. I've learned that an ounce of expert advice saves 10 lbs of self inflicted misery later. (I call that my first marriage). Please feel free to share your suggestions on how I get started after getting my licenses/stamps and becoming familiar with current laws, regs, and MIWR areas/boundaries. I am grateful for your cumulative knowledge and experience. Thank you.

-Frank
Veteranfrank
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:27 pm

Veteranfrank wrote:Greets All,

I was born and raised in Florida. Im an Edgewater native. After serving 9 years active duty in the Army I'm ready to come home and change my name from Sergeant back to Frank? My wife and I return to Edgewater this September. I'll have at least a 75% veteran disability but maintain a fair degree of mobility. I became a marksmanship instructor for the Army trained by the Army Marksmanship Unit at Fort Benning, i am a certified NRA Pistol instructor, I have competed in multiple civilian and military competitions, and I volunteered as an instructor for a Maryland Hunters Education class. Despite all my training and experience though, I am sadly and hilariously inexperienced in hunting. To put a finer point on my inexperience, I went on a single Minnesota deer hunt back in 1989. I am now 40 and want to learn with the exuberance of a teen but tempered with the patience and discipline of a seasoned Soldier. Does anyone have any friendly suggestions for a newbie like me to begin duck hunting? Are there hunt clubs I could start with? I also shoot trap and skeet with my wife. I am not afraid of going out on my own to try, but my gut tells me that would be a mistake. I've learned that an ounce of expert advice saves 10 lbs of self inflicted misery later. (I call that my first marriage). Please feel free to share your suggestions on how I get started after getting my licenses/stamps and becoming familiar with current laws, regs, and MIWR areas/boundaries. I am grateful for your cumulative knowledge and experience. Thank you.

-Frank

:welcome: Frank and thank you for your service. Lot of good guys on here that would be willing to help out. Unfortunatelu, Im on the other side of the state from you, but your first priority would be to dust up on the FL regulations. I would definitely try and tag along with someone before giving it a go alone. Someone will help you out.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby MiccosukeeMeatDog » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:23 am

Veteranfrank wrote:Greets All,

-Frank

Hey Frank. Thank you for your service to us all. I really do appreciate it. you're more than welcome on my boat. Shoot me a private mesage and we'll go together and do some scouting when my rig is in operation.
MiccosukeeMeatDog
hunter

Postby dogyak » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:10 pm

Hey Frank , Welcome to the site and I'm a retired member myself . Meatdog gave you a great invite and you should take him up on it :biggrin: . Really nice of you Meatdog , if I lived down your way , we could hang out :thumbsup: . You guys enjoy .
dogyak
hunter

Postby Veteranfrank » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:33 pm

Hey Guys,

Sorry I haven't responded recently. (My better half just brought me home tonight from WRNMMC). I am very grateful for your kind words and generous offers. I feel like I came to the right place. I am happy to learn and pitch in anyway I can.

At Meatdog: Thankyou. I will reach out to you with a private message soon. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Frank
Veteranfrank
hunter

Re: Free Shipping

Postby Veteranfrank » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:23 pm

Hey All, I just also wanted to throw out that Midwayusa.com is running some good promotionals right now: Free shipping on optics, clothes, and some hunting gear. Lots of tree cameras on sale with free shipping. If you don't want to drive to Orlando for Bass Pro, this might be a good option for you. Kind regards, Frank

:beer:
Veteranfrank
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting