I want to learn how to hunt.

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

I want to learn how to hunt.

Postby madmax722 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:24 am

Hey,
Recently I have become very interested in getting involved in hunting and fishing. I was born and raised in Southern Florida but my family has never been the "outdoors" type, so I am pretty clueless about all of this stuff. I'm looking for some veteran duck hunters that might be able to show me the ropes. The only experience that I have is a couple of hunts for elk, bear, deer (WA & CO) and a little time in the military. I have never been duck (or any bird) hunting before.
I live in Charlotte County (Southwest) Florida but I am willing to travel for the chance to learn. If anyone out there can offer some guidance or any assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
madmax722
Newb

Re: I want to learn how to hunt.

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:48 pm

madmax722 wrote:Hey,
Recently I have become very interested in getting involved in hunting and fishing. I was born and raised in Southern Florida but my family has never been the "outdoors" type, so I am pretty clueless about all of this stuff. I'm looking for some veteran duck hunters that might be able to show me the ropes. The only experience that I have is a couple of hunts for elk, bear, deer (WA & CO) and a little time in the military. I have never been duck (or any bird) hunting before.
I live in Charlotte County (Southwest) Florida but I am willing to travel for the chance to learn. If anyone out there can offer some guidance or any assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Might sound goofy, but read some books on waterfowl species and check out myfwc.com>hunting>waterfowl and learn the states regs. Look into united waterfowlers of FL. They are the ducks unlimited of the state. Maybe attend some meetings close to you and try and introduce yourself and let others know you are trying to learn the sport. I know we have some guys in S. FL on here, but many dont show up until the season nears. Right now your best bet is just to do research on waterfowl hunting and do what you can to find someone who might hunt around your area. Im sure someone will chime in eventually. Not sure how old you are, but if you have never hunted in FL you will need to go through Hunter Safety Course before you are eligible to purchase a license. I believe if you are born on or after July 1, 1975 you have to go through the course regardless. Oh and :welcome:
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:55 pm

I live in charlotte co my self and iam a big duck hunter.I have been hunting for the passed 40 years . If you are serious about ducks send me a pm.Teal season is in a few weeks. I will hunt for the early season but I have to leave for up north nj Iam in a duck and decoy show with the duck boats I build.So pm me if you have time to duck hunt. :welcome: :beer:
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby c f wingshooter » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Hunting in Florida is a bit different compared to other places in the country. Check out the FWC for all the rules and places to hunt. Do some studying put in some time and prepare to sweat. Florida has it own set of challanges and rewards have fun and be safe.
c f wingshooter
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:59 pm

WellI gess he is not as nuts about duck hunting as the rest of us.IF I had some one try to help me and live in the same town as him I would jump on it.Well just finished my 2nd sneak box build for summer had a lot of fun this year my grandson help and all so built his first boat. I will be loading them up in two weeks to take to the nj decoy and gun show .We have won three years in A row.Last year the 2 and a half man I built was on DRAKES MIGRATION NATION show I was realy happy some one took notice of my work .Well back to the young man who would like to learn to duck hunt you have to make the call,GOOD LUCK GOOD HUNTING AND TAKE A KID HUNTING SWAMPMAN OUT :welcome: :beer: :fingerhead:
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby c f wingshooter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:00 am

Hey swampman have fun NJ congrats on building a boat and showing it off. I have thought about building a boat, just havent got around to it. I keep getting side tracked with unimportant home improvement projects, stupid roof leak. One day I will get the time to build one. Maybe the heat got to madmax.
c f wingshooter
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:12 pm

I will try to post pic again
Attachments
100_1380.JPG
100_1381.JPG
100_1382.JPG
100_1378.JPG
100_1379.JPG
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby c f wingshooter » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:27 pm

Very impressive.
c f wingshooter
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:34 pm

Both boats done and iam tired .Now iam going to pack up in two weeks to go to NJ decoy and gun show I hope my grandsons win with there boat it is a great build
Attachments
100_1388.JPG
100_1387.JPG
100_1386.JPG
100_1385.JPG
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby c f wingshooter » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:24 pm

Im not familiar with that style/shape of boat. Does it handle waves or rough water well? And what is the wt capacity of the boat?
Thanks and good luck to yall at the boat show.
c f wingshooter
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:25 am

I SENT YOU A PM. And iam sorry I thought you were from Texas my bad These boats are called sneak boxes they come from the turn off the century in NJ were called barnegat sneak box and were built for market hunter The ones I build have planning hulls the old ones were sail boats.And yes they handle big water great,I use mine in Charlotte harbor and lake o I also take it to NJ to hunt in winter in rivers and down the shore.And yes they handey ruff water very good.This summer my son and his family were hear and a nother boat that I built the same as the sand color one in pis he had over 900lb in and had no problem getting on plane.That was him his two kids wife my self and my wife.I have hunted three men out of one and two in the other with no trouble.
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby madmax722 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:00 pm

Sorry I haven't been around but I have been busy. Thanks for all of the input. Swampman2, I sent you a PM.
Attachments
20130905_195252 (640x496).jpg
madmax722
Newb

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:18 am

You are welcome sent you a pm also will be back in Nov .So would be glad to show all I can season will open end of Nov to end of Jan a lot of time to learn.Most people get hooked the first duck they take.Iam to try my hand here where I live on Sat first day no ducks at lake o yet.Then I have to pack up :welcome: :clapping: :beer:
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby c f wingshooter » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:49 am

madmax looks like you had a nice hunt, congratulations. swampman i did not see a PM and im from central florida between orlando and tampa. see you on the water
c f wingshooter
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:11 am

**** **** I live in port charlotte but do a lot of hunting in lake o I all so hunt A lot off hogs .May be we can hunt together some day I don't know where the pm went :fingerhead:
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:20 am

madmax722 I don't know were the pm went But I will email you in A few weeks when I get back and if you still would like to learn to duck hunt I have lots of time to show you FL has great duck hunting and hogs. Nice bear I would rather eat elk better luck next time. :grooving: :beer:
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting