Any one Hunting ducks in panhandle

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Postby slepe67 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:18 pm

I think that's one of them, they're easy to find...is that cuz you've lived here your whole life? Just kiddin! I'm totally new to this thing. I went out to Duck pond, Buck Pond, Kenner Pond, and Wood Bridge Lake, all are on Eglin Range, between 87 and 85, and have not seen a thing. Do I just stic to creeks/rivers? Got any insider tips/locations? I get set up before first lite, and pack it up about 9:00 AM, then usually go back out around 3:00 pm, till dark. Am I just not looking in the right areas??? Hook me up, I'll get you some beer... :salude:
slepe67
hunter

Postby jedisme » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:49 pm

its hard to predict woodies if i knew your area i could probably put you on some. i shoot woodies mostly off of creeks slews ponds and swamps. small ponds in a heavily wooded area are pretty good IMO. whats your setup look like? decoys, blinds??
jedisme
hunter

Postby slepe67 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:57 pm

I use a few decoys (6 or so-depends on how it looks & size of the area I'm on) late in the season, I try to set them up so they last past/over them, and I set myself up in a crosswind, so I'll shoot them as they pass me on short final. I have a small 10' jon boat with camo netting & foilage/palmettos for a blind. Looks ok to me, I'd use the set up in Iraq :toofunny: I'll give it one more try tomorrow, let ya know how it went.
slepe67
hunter

Postby slepe67 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:26 pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! Today was kinda warm, but gray and dreary. I figured that since it was the last day of the season, I might as well go out once more, or regret it all off-season. I took some of JEDISME's advice, and found a small creek, that opened wider to an almost flooded timber type area. Google Earth ROCKS!!! Anywho, I was just about to pack it in, as it was getting dark, and I heard a familiar noise. Turned about, and there they were, raised the gun and BLAMMO! Miss (3 times), reload, and realize I need to get to the truck before it gets dark. I get to the road, and here they come, BLAMMO X 2, dropped one! 5 more minutes, and I wouldn't have been able to see it!!! I didnt fire at the others, as I had a hard time seeing where the last one went down. Found it, and guess what, a Wood Drake!!! My first duck. I'll be getting that one munted. Which brings me to a question, anyone know if I should dress it now (e.g. carefully get the meat out), or should I freeze it, and take it to the taxidermist? YAHOOO!!!! Too bad this jernt!!!
slepe67
hunter

Postby jedisme » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:48 pm

congrats on your first your duck :thumbsup: those wood ducks are some beautiful birds take the duck and put him in a panty hose tie the hose lightly then put him in a zip lock bag squeeze all the air out of it.
if you decide to get him mounted get him done standing maybe like this http://www.waterfowler.net/Artistic/pics_sitting_3.html the flying wood duck mounts just don't seem to show all of the colors.
jedisme
hunter

Postby jedisme » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:53 pm

slepe67 wrote:I use a few decoys (6 or so-depends on how it looks & size of the area I'm on) late in the season, I try to set them up so they last past/over them, and I set myself up in a crosswind, so I'll shoot them as they pass me on short final. I have a small 10' jon boat with camo netting & foilage/palmettos for a blind. Looks ok to me, I'd use the set up in Iraq :toofunny: I'll give it one more try tomorrow, let ya know how it went.

what species of decoys are you huntin over?
jedisme
hunter

Postby slepe67 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:13 pm

today no decoys, but, I have a dozen M/F mallards, another dozen M/F Pintail, and another dozen M/F widgeon. The cheapies from Academy Sporting Goods. Under $60 for all. I usually only toss out about 7 or so, late in the season, and depending on the size of the water body I am hunting...
slepe67
hunter

Postby slepe67 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:16 pm

Thanks for the advice & taxidermy link, I think I'll go with that... do the panty hose just hold the feathers tight or ??? Thanks again! I suppose I cant get the meat huh? My dad didnt think so, unless I DO NOT wanan mount it, which is out of the question. Thanks again J
slepe67
hunter

Postby jedisme » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:35 pm

no you won't be able to eat it. the hose is to help keep the feathers from getting messed up.

puddler spread. not very many puddle ducks around here mainly the only puddlers you will see are teal and wood ducks. mostly all i get to shoot is divers ringnecks few bluebills redheads and cans.
jedisme
hunter

Postby SCduckslayer84 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:56 pm

slepe67, congrats on your first duck! My first duck was a woodie too! I shot him on the landing approach in SC when I was about 16! I did end up getting him mounted and he is beautiful til this day still! I got him mounted flying, with his back facing me with him flying in front of a piece of timber! Never had one mounted sitting, but i will say I do love a mounted duck no matter how he is mounted! there beautiful either way! I was wondering where ya'll are hunting! I just found this forum tonight, my dad pointed it out to me over the phone. I have been down here about 3 yrs and am dying to hunt down here. Ever since I have been down here, every duck season I go home to SC and hunt there, cuz I haven't found anyone to hunt with here! Really looking forward to hunting this coming up season if anyone wouldn't mind another fellow duck slayer tagging along! Looking to buy my own boat here pretty soon, usually just go home and steal my dads boat but can't do that down here! Thanks!
Also, on your question about duck spreads, i have been hunting for about 11 yrs and don't usually place out decoys if hunting for woodies, i have found out over the yrs that woodies don't care about your decoys nor if you try and call them. if you have a good spot found that they are constant ly landing in or feeding in, they will still land right up on top of you! i have shot so many woodies and had to duck outta the way to keep them from hitting me. Not bragging or anything, i think its just that woodies aren't very smart at all! And if anyone is interested in hunting in SC, let me know and we will work out something when i go home next season, i wouldn't mind showing someone how SC duck hunting is too! We usually can shoot woodies, mallards, teals, widgeons, and geese on a good morning! Just email me or PM me! your advice would be greatly appreciated too! i just wanna get back into hunting like i did back in high school when i had it just a drive down the road!
WAIT FOR IT, WAIT FOR IT.........TAKE EM'!!!!!!

"IF IT FLIES, IT DIES"

"SMOKIN QUACK"
SCduckslayer84
Newb

Postby jedisme » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:36 pm

sc, i work at fwb medical center and have hunted lake seminole my entire life. if your interested i can show you the ropes for hunting seminole.
jedisme
hunter

Postby SCduckslayer84 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:17 pm

JEDISME, Thanks that would be awesome! I have been wanting to try it down here for sometime now! I am in the military and work on hurlburt! Just wondering, do they have a Duck calling contest here in florida? And thanks again, i would really appreciate it! Have you hunted the range yet? do you know if the ducks are pretty consistant on there or is it a scouting game on the range?
WAIT FOR IT, WAIT FOR IT.........TAKE EM'!!!!!!

"IF IT FLIES, IT DIES"

"SMOKIN QUACK"
SCduckslayer84
Newb

Postby jedisme » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:50 am

i have no idea about the range. i pretty much only hunt on seminole. i'm sure theres ducks there i looked at few maps around the bases and saw a few creeks. if i was going to hunt that area i would pretty much target those creeks woodies will fly it. duck calling contest there is one but, its somewhere down south on the atlantic side....i think.
jedisme
hunter

Postby kg4yus » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:20 pm

SCduckslayer84 wrote:do they have a Duck calling contest here in florida?

The Calling Contest is held at BassPro Shops Outdoor world. I beleive there are two each year, one at the Dania Basspro and again at the Orlando BassPro
Mossy Oak-Waterfowl Prostaff
Buck Gardner-Field Staff
Vice Chair- CFL Delta Waterfowl
Regional Director United Waterfowlers
FFWCC Hunter Safety Area Coordinator
kg4yus
hunter

Previous

Return to Florida Duck Hunting