Fulvous ducks

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Fulvous ducks

Postby Coonrod » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:57 am

Last two mornings as I was leaving the house, there's been a small flock of fulvous whistling ducks going overhead.
Now I know these birds are residents, so their appearance isn't as exciting as seeing the BWT arriving. I think the
only thing it really means is that school has started and I have to get my a** up and out earlier to take the kid to
school and am now outside before daybreak. Regardless, seeing and hearing them has got me super excited to get
back out in the marsh. There's a flock that I have inexplicably missed several opportunities at the place I hunt (they
were there every day last year). Hope to bring em in closer early in the season for a rematch. I read somewhere they
respond readily to a whistle call, anyone ever do that?
User avatar
Coonrod
hunter
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:57 am
Location: Orlando, FL


Re: Fulvous ducks

Postby whaknstak » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:13 am

Coonrod wrote:Hope to bring em in closer early in the season


Just don't bring em in closer in the early season lol
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
User avatar
whaknstak
hunter
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: N Florida

Re: Fulvous ducks

Postby hunt-chessies » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:16 am

Yes at times they can be very receptive to a whistle call. Pressure and your ability to mimic them correctly are the keys. If your trying to pull them to open deeper water good luck, they like shallow areas with dry ground near.

Oh and I doubt those are fulvous( could be but not likely) they are almost certainly BBWD... Black bellied whistling ducks. Just as cool, very similar to an untrained eye but far more common North of the STA areas. Plus you can shoot 6 BBWD so I'd rather see them, lol!!!
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
User avatar
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:44 am
Location: Jacksonville FL

Re: Fulvous ducks

Postby Coonrod » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:54 am

Yep, early season meaning November.
The ones I saw last year were in a nice marshy area where I typically
hunt teal & ringers. They're def fulvous, I had a good opportunity to see
them when I missed them at close range last year. Slow, big, close. Don't
know how I did it but I did. Black or dark gray bills. I liked them because they
kept my attention on the days the other birds weren't doing much. I'll be happy
to see some BBWD too. It's a great spot for either species, probably.
User avatar
Coonrod
hunter
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:57 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Fulvous ducks

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Coonrod wrote:Last two mornings as I was leaving the house, there's been a small flock of fulvous whistling ducks going overhead.
Now I know these birds are residents, so their appearance isn't as exciting as seeing the BWT arriving. I think the
only thing it really means is that school has started and I have to get my a** up and out earlier to take the kid to
school and am now outside before daybreak. Regardless, seeing and hearing them has got me super excited to get
back out in the marsh. There's a flock that I have inexplicably missed several opportunities at the place I hunt (they
were there every day last year). Hope to bring em in closer early in the season for a rematch. I read somewhere they
respond readily to a whistle call, anyone ever do that?

I shot one with Ryan in there :thumbsup:
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.


Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
User avatar
tmclaimerFL
hunter
 
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Florida's Waters

Re: Fulvous ducks

Postby Coonrod » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:22 am

I drove out there this weekend, man it's a lot different-looking
in August than it was back in Jan. That area where we stashed your
boat and set up blinds is jungle right now.
User avatar
Coonrod
hunter
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:57 am
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Fulvous ducks

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:25 am

Coonrod wrote:I drove out there this weekend, man it's a lot different-looking
in August than it was back in Jan. That area where we stashed your
boat and set up blinds is jungle right now.

I dont doubt it. Early season is a whole different ball game
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.


Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
User avatar
tmclaimerFL
hunter
 
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Florida's Waters

Re: Fulvous ducks

Postby ryano022 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:10 pm

You mean I shot one when you were with me, here's king claimer at his finest!!! Cant wait to get back up in there openibg day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
User avatar
ryano022
hunter
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:11 pm


Return to Florida Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests