Building a mud motor

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Building a mud motor

Postby dogyak » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:57 pm

Anyone every do this . There is a company called Swamp Runners mud motor kits . You can build one for around 550 . It's using the 7 hp Predator eng with kit included . Like to hear the cons and pros , and they are long tail motors . :biggrin:
dogyak
hunter

Re: Building a mud motor

Postby waterdogds » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:41 pm

dogyak wrote:Anyone every do this . There is a company called Swamp Runners mud motor kits . You can build one for around 550 . It's using the 7 hp Predator eng with kit included . Like to hear the cons and pros , and they are long tail motors . :biggrin:

If the frame and bearing set up is solid, go for it. But predator motors are junk IMO. They aren't built to last or take punishment. You should be able to upgrade your motor after a few seasons running the predator.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks waterdog , all my pwr equipment is powered by a Honda engine . Knew I would upgrade to it at some time . So did you build one by chance .
dogyak
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:25 pm

dogyak wrote:Thanks waterdog , all my pwr equipment is powered by a Honda engine . Knew I would upgrade to it at some time . So did you build one by chance .

No, I unfortunately don't have the resources or time. Before I bought my MB, I researched some home builds and realized I was neither talented or equipped to tackle such a project. I hope it works out for you yak
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby marshnole11 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:22 pm

Predators are honda clones.

My 13hp has a 2 year warranty.... if I break the pull start on it HF takes it back no questions asked and I get a new motor since they dont sell parts and dont pay for service to the engine.

Like anything if you take care of it then it will last.
marshnole11
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:39 pm

marshnole11 wrote:Predators are honda clones.

My 13hp has a 2 year warranty.... if I break the pull start on it HF takes it back no questions asked and I get a new motor since they dont sell parts and dont pay for service to the engine.

Like anything if you take care of it then it will last.

I know several that took a swim, went back to hf full of water, and were replaced with new one off the shelf. No questions asked.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby c f wingshooter » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:47 am

I built one a few years ago and the build was fun. I used a heavy duty door hinge for the pivot on the bottom. And a u joint out of a reace car steering shaft for the connection from motor to drive shaft. Fence rail for the main tube and 7/8 inch solid round stock for the drive shaft. Had to buy a prop off ebay, nice prop out of California. Used self centering concentric bearings in the main tube. Running a 6.5 horse Honda off an old air compressor. And a piece of 3/4 inch EMT for the handle. Seems to work just fine just not very fast but faster than paddeling. I call it the franken motor and looks right at home on the Mother Ducker duck boat. I did not have any plans but I saw one at the boat ramp and liked it. I did not want to spend 2 grand on a motor so I bult one instead.
c f wingshooter
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:09 am

I purchased one of the Swamp Runner kits about a month ago, and put the predator 212cc on it. Super easy to mount. I removed the govenor from the motor, and ordered some mods for it, shoulp make it around 10-11 hp when its all said and done.

Well worth the buy in my opinion and the customer service is really good.

Trey
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby dogyak » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:30 am

Thanks Trey . Where are you at in jaxs , I live in Orange Park . If you don't mine , would like to see your motor . Looks like your a Navy guy , I'm retired from the navy , my last tour was at SAR school .
dogyak
hunter

Postby Ajaxian » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:18 am

I just ordered a 420cc from HF and am working on buying a kit from a local in Tallahassee a forum member suggested. I will keep yall updated on progress.

EDIT: HF has a 20% off one item until 8/31/13 online or instore you can pick the 420 up for just under 300 bucks.
Ajaxian
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:39 am

Dogyak,

I'm in Fruit Cove... not far at all, just take San Jose to Roberts road and I'm off Longleaf Parkway. You're more than welcome to come check it out. I have it on a 1436 Jon boat. My parts should be here thursday and I'm going to take it to guana this weekend to see what type of difference it makes.

In regards to the Predator motor being junk, I can totally understand the thought process behind it because HF doesn't exactly carry quality products. With that being said... For 79 bucks (with 25% off coupon, which I have more of if interested) and the two year warranty, you cant really go wrong. I already returned one that broke because of my actions, and they took it back no problem. Heck, I'll return it every two years and keep trucking.

There is a guy in Orange Park that is a dealer for swamp runners, so you can buy straight from him and save about 60 bucks. He is very helpful, I can pass on his contact info if you want.

Call if you want to swing by and check mine out. 904-716-4604, Trey Knight
tknight006
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:48 am

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=161799

Click on, or copy and paste the above link. A good thread on this exact motor and kit.
tknight006
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:13 pm

A big thank you to Trey , I like what I saw today . Will be getting the kit . You got a nice family and if you are up to it , maybe fishing next weekend :biggrin:
dogyak
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:27 pm

I will definitely be out there next weekend, but I'm probably gonna be scouting again. I will hit you up before hand though....

Trey
tknight006
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Updating this post , got the small SPS mud motor kit and picked the 212 cc predator motor . The swamp runner kit is a breeze to build . It was done in 45 min's , added oil and gas and the motor was running . In the water it's smooth and pushes the boat easily . Very happy with the result's . The only thing is , it takes big turns . But for a price tag of a little under 550 , I can deal with that :yes: . One more week until teal season guy's , good luck :thumbsup:
dogyak
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:32 pm

dogyak wrote:Updating this post , got the small SPS mud motor kit and picked the 212 cc predator motor . The swamp runner kit is a breeze to build . It was done in 45 min's , added oil and gas and the motor was running . In the water it's smooth and pushes the boat easily . Very happy with the result's . The only thing is , it takes big turns . But for a price tag of a little under 550 , I can deal with that :yes: . One more week until teal season guy's , good luck :thumbsup:

Good to hear. I know several other members are in the process of building the same motor. Glad its working out for ya
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:36 am

Ron,

I found that if you use the motor like a paddle, you can pretty much turn around in one spot. I'm glad you like it... Mike said he has sold a lot of them in the past week.

Counting the days.

Trey
tknight006
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:41 pm

Love those Chondas
You pay for you!

Postby Airbandit » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:05 am

I bought my swamp runner longtail med kit in spring of 2012 and loved it. For the money nothing in the market even compared to it and I was outrunning other longtails with bigger motors. Since the spring of this year I was asked to become a dealer for Swamp Runner in Jacksonville and love it. I've never been much of a salesman but when you believe in your product it's easy. If your looking to check one out give me a call at 904-813-8961 Mike
Airbandit
Newb

Return to Florida Duck Hunting