Frog Gigging with the kids

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, Ichabod97, BigBend

Frog Gigging with the kids

Postby Big Bend Brian » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:27 pm

I’m new to the forum and just wanted to add a frog hunt to introduce myself to the forum. I did this with my son and his buddy backing September 06. We’ve done a number of frog hunts this summer but this was one of the most memorable. Looking forward to duck hunting this season with a new (used) 10’ Aquapod.

HooYah!!
Brian

My friend Eric and I have wanted to take the kids frog gigging for quite awhile so on Saturday evening we loaded up Casey (7), Mathew (10), and Nicholas (12) for their first frog gigging trip (Kaitlyn was with mom at the Gator game). The platform was Eric’s 18-foot Go Devil rig and the lake of choice was Newnans Lake.

After a short intro and demonstration on technique the kids took turns gigging. Initially, we worked the kids on the numerous small frogs as they honed their gigging skills eventually passing up the smaller ones holding out for the less abundant larger frogs. Mathew took pretty naturally to the gigging while Casey initially was poking the frogs without enough “umph” behind the thrusts.

Mathew’s second frog

Casey and a good one

Casey & Mathew

The boys managed a few frogs apiece and a lot of small gators & gar were seen up close not to mention a lot of frogs were lucky in that they only experienced a close encounter with the end of the boys gigging point. Around 10 p.m. while everything was still fun we packed it in and at the ramp the boys helped clean the frogs, rounding out their frog-gigging experience.

Running in

Mathew cleaning while Casey is catching & “stunning” the frogs

A whole lot of fun

On the drive home we celebrated a successful adventure with cold frosty root beers. The boys should remember this trip for quite awhile.
Big Bend Brian
hunter

Postby DUCKWHACKER » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:41 pm

Man that looks like a good time. Last time I went out we nailed some whoppers. Would have really loaded up except as I pulled a hopper off Franks gig I said " Frank, look at the size of the gator next to the boat", he looked then leaned the opposite way. Naturally I leaned the other way the stabilize the canoe, unfortunetly so did he. Long story short, we rolled the canoe, Frank lost his new glasses but I hung onto my gig and that fat sack of frogs. :mrgreen:
Regional Director United Waterfowlers of Florida

Member of the Bay Area Quack Ho's
DUCKWHACKER
hunter

Postby FL CANVASBACK » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:25 pm

I LIKE THE SKINNIN TABLE...
FL CANVASBACK
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting