New to fl/waterfowl hunting

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

New to fl/waterfowl hunting

Postby Az native » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:50 am

First off I want to say that this forum is awesome! Been reading posts before deciding to create my own account, a lot of helpful info everyone post and want to say thank your for the knowledge. Now to my point, I'm new to the sport and new to fl I currently live in pinnelas county and travel frequently to Charlotte county. Wanted to know if anyone had info on gear needed for a newbie first starting out, places to hunt, and if anyone would be willing to take myself out and show me the ropes of waterfowl hunting, and would be willing for a new hunting buddy. very interested in the sport and appreciate any advice or knowledge.
Az native
hunter

Re: New to fl/waterfowl hunting

Postby whaknstak » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:55 pm

There are tons, and I mean tons of post in the Florida forums on this exact topic. Hit the archives from years past as they are full of good info. I'm not close to you, but maybe someone local will help you out. Good luck!
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:24 pm

Az native wrote:First off I want to say that this forum is awesome! Been reading posts before deciding to create my own account, a lot of helpful info everyone post and want to say thank your for the knowledge. Now to my point, I'm new to the sport and new to fl I currently live in pinnelas county and travel frequently to Charlotte county. Wanted to know if anyone had info on gear needed for a newbie first starting out, places to hunt, and if anyone would be willing to take myself out and show me the ropes of waterfowl hunting, and would be willing for a new hunting buddy. very interested in the sport and appreciate any advice or knowledge.

Are you an AZ native? :welcome: to FL. Im across the pond in Hillsborough.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Az native » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:38 pm

Thanks man will do, and yes I am
Az native
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:45 pm

Az native wrote:Thanks man will do, and yes I am

Got a boat or any gear at all?
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Az native » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:13 pm

Have guns that's about it man, recently go out of the marine corps moved from Cali to here for school so I don't have much, but will be buying gear soon
Az native
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:46 am

Az native wrote:Have guns that's about it man, recently go out of the marine corps moved from Cali to here for school so I don't have much, but will be buying gear soon

Where you going to school?

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Az native » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:57 am

National aviation academy
Az native
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:10 am

Tampa is a fishing city, not a hunting city. Very few locations around for hunting. Most of the areas that hold ducks are within an hour or more of this area, so you will have to do some driving. However, if you play your cards right you can scratch a few birds around the area.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:16 am

I'd be happy to get you out if you would like. I've met a couple other folks on the forum in this area already and they are good guys.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Az native » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:52 am

Ya man that's what i have been seeing in other threads and have read, I have heard about the sta's and okeechobee, just wanted to go with someone who wouldn't mind showing me the ropes, willing to spend some cash, drive and take in as much info as possible. Would say I would trade for something In Return, maybe buy some beers or breakfast but to be honest I don't have jack. I would be more than happy man to meet up sometime bro.
Az native
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:49 am

Az native wrote:Ya man that's what i have been seeing in other threads and have read, I have heard about the sta's and okeechobee, just wanted to go with someone who wouldn't mind showing me the ropes, willing to spend some cash, drive and take in as much info as possible. Would say I would trade for something In Return, maybe buy some beers or breakfast but to be honest I don't have jack. I would be more than happy man to meet up sometime bro.

Pm sent

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Broken Paddle » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:09 am

Az native wrote:National aviation academy

This is just down the road from me.

I am in the same boat as you, I have guns, boots, blind bag, but I do have a canoe, paddles & pfd's, no dekes.
Broken Paddle
hunter

Location: Fomerly in Riverton, CT Now wandering spaceship Earth

Postby dogyak » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:15 am

tmclaimerFL wrote:
Az native wrote:Ya man that's what i have been seeing in other threads and have read, I have heard about the sta's and okeechobee, just wanted to go with someone who wouldn't mind showing me the ropes, willing to spend some cash, drive and take in as much info as possible. Would say I would trade for something In Return, maybe buy some beers or breakfast but to be honest I don't have jack. I would be more than happy man to meet up sometime bro.

Pm sent

Your a good man tmclaimefl :thumbsup:
dogyak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:06 pm

dogyak wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:

Pm sent

Your a good man tmclaimefl :thumbsup:

Naturally

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting