Moved to Tampa

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, Ichabod97, BigBend

Moved to Tampa

Postby JonB » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:45 am

Hi All,

I moved from SD to Tampa last year and I miss enjoying the waterfowl season. So I thought I would ask if anyone lives around Hillsborough Co. area and knows where to go, maybe not mind me tagging along, etc..basically looking for some hunting friends. Since moving I haven't met anyone that hunts ducks/geese/turkey. I've got all the basics covered (well my waders are still in SD), but don't have decoys or a boat (didn't need a boat in SD/prairie pot hole region).

:beer:
JonB
hunter

Re: Moved to Tampa

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:11 pm

JonB wrote:Hi All,

I moved from SD to Tampa last year and I miss enjoying the waterfowl season. So I thought I would ask if anyone lives around Hillsborough Co. area and knows where to go, maybe not mind me tagging along, etc..basically looking for some hunting friends. Since moving I haven't met anyone that hunts ducks/geese/turkey. I've got all the basics covered (well my waders are still in SD), but don't have decoys or a boat (didn't need a boat in SD/prairie pot hole region).

:beer:

Welcome to Tampa :welcome: . I live in Hillsborough and there are a few other guys that live in or near the area as we'll that I have met. There are opportunities here, but they require some effort. I would be glad to get you started as I am doing the same for a couple other guys. Not like the pothole region down here. Hard to get around without a boat. What brought you to Tampa from SD? That's a waterfowl Mecca.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby JonB » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:03 am

I moved to Tampa last June - mostly got tired of the below 0 temps in February :-) The waterfowl hunting was really good as we had access to my niece's husband's family farm in northeast SD. Way too easy to smack Canadian honkers in the cut corn fields and plenty of sloughs and small lakes for ducks. Decent turkey hunting. And of course SD is famous for pheasant in the center of the state.

Anyway, I figured a boat is a must have down here. I don't mind the effort as that is part of the hunt, but its hard to get started when you don't know anyone that's into hunting.

I might have to start fishing as that seems to be the thing in FL more than hunting (which makes sense).
JonB
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:08 am

JonB wrote:I moved to Tampa last June - mostly got tired of the below 0 temps in February :-) The waterfowl hunting was really good as we had access to my niece's husband's family farm in northeast SD. Way too easy to smack Canadian honkers in the cut corn fields and plenty of sloughs and small lakes for ducks. Decent turkey hunting. And of course SD is famous for pheasant in the center of the state.

Anyway, I figured a boat is a must have down here. I don't mind the effort as that is part of the hunt, but its hard to get started when you don't know anyone that's into hunting.

I might have to start fishing as that seems to be the thing in FL more than hunting (which makes sense).

Fishing is starting to heat up now that the temps aren't blazing everyday. As I said there are a couple guys that I'm helping out this year. If you would like to meet up sometime shoot me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone3 using Tapatalk 28
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Uquack2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:48 am

This is good to read. i will be a new Hillsboro resident next week. I was thinking the same things. I drove my truck down last week and started scouting immediately. I saw some teal, I think pintails and i think bluebills off of one of the highways that heads into Tampa. It was hard to tell even with binoculars except for the teal. They were obvious. I just have some basic can I hunt there questions if someone can help me out?

I'm moving from VA next weekend to the Brandon area.
SUNDAY HUNTING IS MY GOAL!
Uquack2
hunter

Postby Uquack2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:58 am

Almost forgot. I have a Chessie as well. How safe is it to use a dog around there? I have a lot of worries about him getting hurt.
Uquack2
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:02 am

Uquack2 wrote:Almost forgot. I have a Chessie as well. How safe is it to use a dog around there? I have a lot of worries about him getting hurt.

Don't risk it. If it has public access you can hunt it. The statute says that you cannot shoot on or in the direction of someone's property where your shot may land on their property, or something similar. Never hunted Brando area, but I know there are birds around.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Uquack2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:09 am

So, Would this include the gulf coast areas as well? My Dad lives in Pinellas Co along the coast.
Uquack2
hunter

Moved to Tampa

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:16 am

Uquack2 wrote:So, Would this include the gulf coast areas as well? My Dad lives in Pinellas Co along the coast.

Pinellas county is off limits. No hunting in that county. Hillsborough side of the bay is open to hunting though.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Uquack2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:51 am

That's good to know. That hunt would have ended bad. :fingerhead: Thanks very much for your help.
Uquack2
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:56 pm

Uquack2 wrote:That's good to know. That hunt would have ended bad. :fingerhead: Thanks very much for your help.

I apologize. My previous statement is incorrect. House Bill 45 nullified the original ordinance. However, there really isn't any public land to hunt there. The bay is open for ducks. Need permission if you do hunt private land though obviously.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:11 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:
Uquack2 wrote:That's good to know. That hunt would have ended bad. :fingerhead: Thanks very much for your help.

I apologize. My previous statement is incorrect. House Bill 45 nullified the original ordinance. However, there really isn't any public land to hunt there. The bay is open for ducks. Need permission if you do hunt private land though obviously.

Technically Pinellas county has been violating hunter's civil rights since 1987 with the passage of 790.33. It just took the drafting of hb45 24 years later to finally put a stop to it.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:31 pm

whaknstak wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:

Technically Pinellas county has been violating hunter's civil rights since 1987 with the passage of 790.33. It just took the drafting of hb45 24 years later to finally put a stop to it.

Thanks for catchin that Mitchell. I hope some homeowner on the bay calls me out this year.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:39 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:
whaknstak wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:

Thanks for catchin that Mitchell. I hope some homeowner on the bay calls me out this year.

I had a guy walk to the base of my tree on a quota hunt claiming that I was within 500 yards of a residence, and that there was a county ordinance against discharging a firearm within that radius, and he was calling the sheriff. Had I known then what I know now I would have had a field day with him lol
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:10 pm

whaknstak wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:
whaknstak wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:

I had a guy walk to the base of my tree on a quota hunt claiming that I was within 500 yards of a residence, and that there was a county ordinance against discharging a firearm within that radius, and he was calling the sheriff. Had I known then what I know now I would have had a field day with him lol

Reminds me of that time the trolley bus driver told me that bowfishing was illegal lol.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby jayprev » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:28 am

Hey man, i'd be interested in tagging along as well if you don't mind, i'm looking to get into waterfowl hunting. I live in Pinellas county, and I've seen questionable hunting spots, but doubt they are allowed to be hunted on. I'm new to waterfowl hunting, and looking for people to kind of show me some spots and go hunting with frequently lol.Let me know.
jayprev
Newb

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:52 am

jayprev wrote:Hey man, i'd be interested in tagging along as well if you don't mind, i'm looking to get into waterfowl hunting. I live in Pinellas county, and I've seen questionable hunting spots, but doubt they are allowed to be hunted on. I'm new to waterfowl hunting, and looking for people to kind of show me some spots and go hunting with frequently lol.Let me know.

We can work on that. Like I tell everyone else you gotta be legal before you step in my boat. Get your hunting license, migratory bird permit, waterfowl permit, and federal duck stamp first. Shoot me a pm

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:08 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:
jayprev wrote:Hey man, i'd be interested in tagging along as well if you don't mind, i'm looking to get into waterfowl hunting. I live in Pinellas county, and I've seen questionable hunting spots, but doubt they are allowed to be hunted on. I'm new to waterfowl hunting, and looking for people to kind of show me some spots and go hunting with frequently lol.Let me know.

We can work on that. Like I tell everyone else you gotta be legal before you step in my boat. Get your hunting license, migratory bird permit, waterfowl permit, and federal duck stamp first. Shoot me a pm

You are a good man claimer , makes me want to come visit Tampa just to hunt the west coast . :thumbsup: . How is it looking there . I went fishing/scouting this morning over here in the northeast , saw many good flocks flying thru 10:30 this morning . I also caught some nice reds , one just a little under 26 in . Had a great dinner tonight . Hope it's looking good for you , we had our first cold spell here today also , well 48 is cold for us :biggrin: . That was morning temp , toped out at 70 .
dogyak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:45 pm

dogyak wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:

You are a good man claimer , makes me want to come visit Tampa just to hunt the west coast . :thumbsup: . How is it looking there . I went fishing/scouting this morning over here in the northeast , saw many good flocks flying thru 10:30 this morning . I also caught some nice reds , one just a little under 26 in . Had a great dinner tonight . Hope it's looking good for you , we had our first cold spell here today also , well 48 is cold for us :biggrin: . That was morning temp , toped out at 70 .

Thanks yak. Ya, I feel like a mentor, which is kind of funny because my knowledge is par level compared to most of the vets on here. It rained here all day Saturday. I was doing a charity sporting clay event and got completely soaked, but had fun. I think the low will be about 60 tonight and the highs are in the low 80's. haven't been able to scout lately. Trailer needs some repairs before I can tow it and I'm getting frustrated because the season is less than a month away. At the same time I'm sitting on the edge waiting for a new job to come through. On the upside I don't have to work the opener!

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Mtoddsolomon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:05 pm

My buddy and I are from SC originally but live down in Tampa now. We have been hunting on the east side of the bay and it's been pretty good so far. I'm sure nothing like SD but still fun. bring some bug spray and gym shorts under your waders.
Mtoddsolomon
Newb

Postby flashalexb » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:30 pm

Does house bill 45 eliminate any said distance you must be from a house or structure? For instance, could you legally blind up just off the Courtney Campbell Causeway?
Duck commander
flashalexb
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:32 pm

flashalexb wrote:Does house bill 45 eliminate any said distance you must be from a house or structure? For instance, could you legally blind up just off the Courtney Campbell Causeway?

I wouldn't set up on the beach where folks are walking their dogs and what not. There has to be a reasonable limit even if the law doesn't state a specific one. By law, as vague as it is, you could technically hunt it so long as you are not shooting on the road or across it.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:30 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:
flashalexb wrote:Does house bill 45 eliminate any said distance you must be from a house or structure? For instance, could you legally blind up just off the Courtney Campbell Causeway?

I wouldn't set up on the beach where folks are walking their dogs and what not. There has to be a reasonable limit even if the law doesn't state a specific one. By law, as vague as it is, you could technically hunt it so long as you are not shooting on the road or across it.

/\ use your head. Don't play with fire

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:13 am

whaknstak wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:

/\ use your head. Don't play with fire

You guys should be charging a consultation fee. :hammer:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby SWAMPMAN2 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:05 am

JOE glad to see you pass it on.It is A great feeling to help out when ever you can .I have met up with my friend from BC he got his hunting LIC this year and we cleaned up at LAKE O .Will take A kid hunting be safe and I hope you got some better lights on your boat by now .ALWAYS ON THE SIDE SWAMPMAN
SWAMPMAN2
hunter

Next

Return to Florida Duck Hunting