Eglin AFB area question

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Eglin AFB area question

Postby briggsy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:35 pm

Does anybody have any information on hunting near the EGLIN afb shoreline? I was out in my kayak this past saturday and sat and watched from a long ways a way....a duck hunter in open bay water..shooting away at divers...I have been here for two years...never thought of hunting out there...but just recently, I saw a few hundred divers out there just milling around. Specifically...what is the local ruling on how far off shore do you have to be?? I was thining about just setting up in a few feet of water and pass shooting with a few dekes out. Seems like there were enough birds out there to make it interesting?? anybody have any luck out there?? coming from up north, I would love to shoot a canvasback or ringneck/bufflehead...I think that is what I was seeing out there...any thoughts?
briggsy from Central MASS, stationed in FL, ADAF
briggsy
hunter

Postby duckhuntnfl » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:09 am

theres no law on how far off the shoreline you have to be as long as your not on it. its just not smart to get close to houses and stuff...i've already called tallahassee and got the ok from them..oh and eglin doesnt own the bay.
ive tried it a couple times but i seem to sit more then i do shoot.but dont let that stop ya . try it and give us a report. good luck
duckhuntnfl
hunter

eglin and stuff

Postby briggsy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:43 am

Yeah, I was only looking for a late season early morning spot. I still have all of my gear/gun up north in MA. that is where I take my annual trip for marsh/flooded timber hunts. Anyway, I think I am going to give it a go next season. Thanks for the information!! briggsy
briggsy
hunter

Bay hunting

Postby LYNW_GODAWGS » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:07 pm

That could have been me. I've hunted in the bay off Eglin for the past two weekends and am going again a couple of times before Jan. 28th hits. If you have an Eglin pass (like I do) then you don't have to worry about the shore at all, but like duckhuntnfl said, it's best to stay away from houses if you are in the bay or sound and nearing private land. Emergency shots can be taken towards the Gulf if necessary...lol. A few buddies that I've just hooked up with recently and I are starting a local "Duck Hunting" gathering. Like you and I, a lot of duck hunters around here, but haven't ever gotten into coastal duck hunting. :salude:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner, liberty is a well armed lamb protesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin
LYNW_GODAWGS
hunter

eglin

Postby briggsy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:28 pm

yeah, I actually put in over by the horse stables on base (currently, I live on base, moving off in a few weeks!), Jacks pond I think...It has a cut out to the bay so I just paddle and take a look and then go about paddling around the flats. What kind ducks have you been taking/seeing? I know I put a couple out towards you, but the sun was right in my eyes (forgot the darn sunglasses)...anyway, you might have some company out there next year.....how many dekes did you have out??? what variety should I start looking for?? I only have mallards and they are not here with me...I might start looking on ebay in the summer for some crappy ones to toss out there. thanks for the information!! briggsy
briggsy
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting