Best Retriever for Florida

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Best Retriever for Florida

Postby quackinup » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:01 pm

I'v lived in Florida many years and hunted here several, but am pretty new to duck hunting.
I have a 12 year old son who doesn't have the patience to bow hunt with me so we started duck hunting and are having a blast!
My son has been asking if we could get a hunting (retriever) dog and is leaning toward a chocolate lab. But I saw some interesting threads on boykins, which now have my attention. But most of the retriever clubs around are for golden retrievers. And many say don't feed your retriever to the gators. I need some good advice for choosing the best retriever for Florida. Thanks. PS I have a canoe and an older 17ft. actioncraft that we are building a cover/blind for now. We will probably hunt Lake O mostly, from SW FL.
quackinup
Newb

Re: Best Retriever for Florida

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:41 pm

I have a choc lab and Boykins but the answer to your question is .........a well trained retriever.

Either one is great but you get out what you put in. I hunt my lab, one Boykin has seizures and the other Boykin is a work in progress. My Boykin has a different demeanor than my lab.

My Boykin has issues with swimming through thick grass and my lab doesn't. IF you get a Boykin PLEASE research the breeder. Have the eyes, hips....ect checked. Make sure he is a BSS dog.

Either one is great. I've been fostering with Boykin spaniel rescue for several years and have personally had over 20 spaniels. We have taken several perfect LBDs bc the "don't hunt".
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:19 am

A boat

Sent from my iPhone3 using Tapatalk 28
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby dogyak » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:21 pm

seminole_sigmanu wrote:I have a choc lab and Boykins but the answer to your question is .........a well trained retriever.

Either one is great but you get out what you put in. I hunt my lab, one Boykin has seizures and the other Boykin is a work in progress. My Boykin has a different demeanor than my lab.

My Boykin has issues with swimming through thick grass and my lab doesn't. IF you get a Boykin PLEASE research the breeder. Have the eyes, hips....ect checked. Make sure he is a BSS dog.

Either one is great. I've been fostering with Boykin spaniel rescue for several years and have personally had over 20 spaniels. We have taken several perfect LBDs bc the "don't hunt".

The above is good sound advise . I train Labs for my friends and run hunt test . I've seen a many Boykin's run in the hunt test game and have been impressed with them . For me though , a lab is what I will go with . Since I go home to Texas to hunt the coast , the Boykin would have trouble there . So what club are you talking about that only have Swamp Collies . Not an insult here , but a well bred hunting dog is genetically programmed to do the right things . People are not genetically programed to train dogs. I highly advise you do your homework on finding a retriever program and not skipping any areas or you will have holes in the training of your pup .You can order Duck Dog Basics from Avery , if your only wanting a meat/hunting dog . This program has been used by many who said it worked for them , I've never seen it myself . Good luck with what you do :thumbsup:
dogyak
hunter

Postby quackinup » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:48 pm

Thanks for your input, guys.
Seminole and dogyak, I see, a dog from hunting stock then well trained is a must.
I don't know of any trainers in SW FL and we're not interested in shows so the "Duck Dog Basics" may be what I need to study first. And we need to see which breed best fits in our family setting.
Tmclaimer, you may be right! A boat certainly is the safest retriever, if I don't fall out in front of that gator!
Thanks for the good advice and may the good Lord bless you all with many more memorable hunts!
quackinup
Newb

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:54 am

quackinup wrote:Thanks for your input, guys.
Seminole and dogyak, I see, a dog from hunting stock then well trained is a must.
I don't know of any trainers in SW FL and we're not interested in shows so the "Duck Dog Basics" may be what I need to study first. And we need to see which breed best fits in our family setting.
Tmclaimer, you may be right! A boat certainly is the safest retriever, if I don't fall out in front of that gator!
Thanks for the good advice and may the good Lord bless you all with many more memorable hunts!

My dogs are house/family dogs 1st. All 3 sleep in my bed and are house dogs.....80% of the time. I used fowl dogs, smart works and 10 minute retriever.

You can have a house dog and family pet.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:50 am

x2 boat...lol :thumbsup:
You pay for you!

Postby c f wingshooter » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:12 pm

Ive hunted with Springer Spaniels and Labs, all colors. My experience has been that the Lab will out hunt the Springer for endurance. The Springer seemed to listen and respond better, just not as durable. For FL hunting I will go X 3 for a boat. Just on man's opinoin.
c f wingshooter
hunter

Postby Ajaxian » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:28 am

x4 on the boat... I have a lab I have trained my self to some varying degree of success, but he's my buddy first I don't put him into deep or warm water. I have a friend who uses his on every hunt from early season through the end of Jan and has never had a problem the risk isn't worth it to me. I do make a point to go out to a few spots down south of Tallahassee I feel are pretty safe and hunt with the dog a handful of times every season. Spots where it is very shallow... Flooded oak stands with maybe a foot of water and potholes that maybe only hold water 6 months of the year (with all the rain they will be good this year). I may shoot two ducks at these spots by myself in the early morning, but it's worth it to see the dog work. :beer:
Ajaxian
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:59 pm

I have a field bred English that is a superb hunting dog. He's incredible smart but can be hard headed. He was almost fully trained with hand signals when a bad round of heartworm meds didn't do their job and he got a bad infection of worn. He was out of the game for over a year and I just haven't been able to get him back to where he was because I left for school and he had to stay home... I'm not sure if he ever will be, that being said, he is still an amazing hunting dog. He holds his place, marks and doesn't break, fetches to hand, and will do blinds. There are times when a lab would be better though mostly for size. When hunting at the coast a slight wind can kick up a little chop, just enough to where his small head gets lost in the troughs and gets disoriented
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby MiccosukeeMeatDog » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:46 am

x5 on the boat. it just doesnt get and stay cold long enough in south fl to get the water to a safe temp
Not to good to water-swat!
MiccosukeeMeatDog
hunter

Postby birdyhunter » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:54 pm

I am a big believer in gsp's as water dogs. This will be my second season with "cooper" and he is phenomenal on blind retrieves and has stamina for days. Doesnt care for staying still for very long but that's just the young pup coming out in him.ImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
birdyhunter
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:06 pm

birdyhunter wrote:I am a big believer in gsp's as water dogs. This will be my second season with "cooper" and he is phenomenal on blind retrieves and has stamina for days. Doesnt care for staying still for very long but that's just the young pup coming out in him.ImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Nice looking dog . I've seen one guy years ago run one in HRC and title him as a season retriever . Was pretty impress . A dog like that could work in Fl with a vest for sure .
dogyak
hunter

Postby 139sst » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:27 am

quackinup, I have a Boykin now and have had a lab in the past so I will give my advice. I use my boykin for dove hunting as well as duck hunting and the boykin does much better in the heat. In clean water the boykin does fine retrieving ducks but a lab
will do muck better in thick hydrilla or current/ wind. My boykin is a very light shedder and leaves hardly any fur in the house where a lab leaves fur everywhere. The boykin will hunt all day with me, get a bath, then cuddle up on my wifes lap like a house dog. So basically if you are a hardcore ducker, nothing is better than a lab, but if you want an easy house pet and a do all hunting campanion the boykin fits the bill just fine.
139sst
Newb

Postby sdeshazo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:16 am

1339SST hit the nail on the head. Boykins are great little dogs fo FL, great family dogs, great for duck hunting & 2nd to none in FL on a dove field.

1548 Legend Craft with a MB 4oooS
MoMarsh Fatboy DP
Boykin Spaniel
sdeshazo
hunter

Postby dogyak » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:10 am

sdeshazo wrote:1339SST hit the nail on the head. Boykins are great little dogs fo FL, great family dogs, great for duck hunting & 2nd to none in FL on a dove field.

Hey sdeshazo , I'm in Orange Park . Do you run that Boykin in any hunt test .
dogyak
hunter

Postby sdeshazo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:25 am

No I talked to some of the guys at the Retriever Club but they all had labs & did not seem to be big fans of Boykins. As I'm sure you know Boykins have to be trained a lot softer than Labs.
I've had labs all my life & love them (great dogs) but I sure do like my LBD, never seen such heart in such a small package.
I'm located across the river in NW St Johns.
1548 Legend Craft with a MB 4oooS
MoMarsh Fatboy DP
Boykin Spaniel
sdeshazo
hunter

Postby dogyak » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:23 am

Well , I'm a fan of the little dog . I don't have one myself , but know first hand they can do the work . I was up in Georgia last week end for a hunt test , and seen a many do very well . If you want to get together and train , I have no problem . You did you talk too from the club , I'm a member and think it's horse crap that you were made too feel that way . Don't let that hold you back though , I can help and have titled many dogs . You don't have to be a member either too run your dog and it's pretty fun watching your dog do well plus knowing what you need to work on .
dogyak
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting