Well its no duck.

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Well its no duck.

Postby FreedomHunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Decided to go out to the lagoon the other day and fight the wind. Here is how the day went, the ducks are everywhere and I wish you could hunt there. I would be getting my limit. First time ever I saw a pair of pintails which was really cool and there were a few larger sized ducks flying in groups of 4-6. They looked like either models or black ducks. I am no expert but they were large brown and quacked like mallards, but everyone keeps saying we don't get very many mallards here. Lots and lots of Black scoter ducks also along with some teal being spotted. Ever since I started duck hunting its like a new world of birds, I guess I never payed attention before.

Now the Redfish are starting to school up because of water temps. Spotted two really nice schools of fish maybe 50 yards apart and was poling over to them, then this guy decided to drive between the two schools after he noticed me attempting to fish them :mad: I missed probably a trout of a life time tried to rip the rod out of my hand as I was lifting the lure out of the water by the boat. Fish was maybe 10 lbs. It was very depressing. I then started spotting individual tails and ended up taking this guy for dinner. Fish was caught on a DOA Baitbuster.
Attachments
20131115_085604.jpg
FreedomHunter
hunter

Re: Well its no duck.

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:12 pm

FreedomHunter wrote:Decided to go out to the lagoon the other day and fight the wind. Here is how the day went, the ducks are everywhere and I wish you could hunt there. I would be getting my limit. First time ever I saw a pair of pintails which was really cool and there were a few larger sized ducks flying in groups of 4-6. They looked like either models or black ducks. I am no expert but they were large brown and quacked like mallards, but everyone keeps saying we don't get very many mallards here. Lots and lots of Black scoter ducks also along with some teal being spotted. Ever since I started duck hunting its like a new world of birds, I guess I never payed attention before.

Mottled ducks. Blacks dont typically migrate this far. Also, I dont believe you saw black scoters either. Its a rare sight to see scoters in FL. I have seen one killed and it was a hen in Tallahassee. Besides it really hasnt gotten that cold up north for a bird like that to really migrate here.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby FreedomHunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:36 pm

Black scoters are the ones I know for sure because of the orange on their face. I managed to circle a group of them with the boat before they dove under. I got a real close look at them. 100% positive I.D. for the black scoter. They were hanging around eldora house if you know where that is in the northern lagoon just in front of slippery. Great to know about the mottled and black ducks though. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Bla ... tedIndex=0 this was the exact duck I saw.

I had to look it up to figure out what it was.
FreedomHunter
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:40 pm

FreedomHunter wrote:Black scoters are the ones I know for sure because of the orange on their face. I managed to circle a group of them with the boat before they dove under. I got a real close look at them. 100% positive I.D. for the black scoter. They were hanging around eldora house if you know where that is in the northern lagoon just in front of slippery. Great to know about the mottled and black ducks though. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Bla ... tedIndex=0 this was the exact duck I saw.

I had to look it up to figure out what it was.

Thats interesting. Ive never been to the Lagoon, although I used to live not far from it. Couple months back I saw several flocks of large ducks flying a few miles offshore to the South, but was never able to identify them. It just strikes me as odd, but maybe its because I never see scoters in the gulf.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Capt Jeff Kraynik » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:52 pm

Lots of scoters on the lagoon & off the beach right now.

Last weeks front pushed them south.

Was on the phone with PB yesterday & he commented on how all the scoters pulled out of Maryland last week.

I told him they ended up here!!!
"Don't take life so seriously, you'll never get out alive"

321-863-9182
Waterfowl-Alligator-Light-Tackle Saltwater Flats Fishing
Capt Jeff Kraynik
hunter

Postby FSUDuck » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:24 pm

Sorry bout the trout, but great looking red. Tailing reds in the lagoon can be very picky. Congrats again. :clapping:
FSUDuck
hunter

Postby ReelNutts8~ » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:37 am

I've noticed that as these reds begin schooling up near Middle Island, Hong kong Flat and the Shoal, presenting them with bait that isn't abundant during this time of the year makes for a solid day. Nice red though, sucks about losing that gator trout but it happens.

:sniper: http://www.doalures.com/store/images/pr ... 21-403.jpg
I Love it when I buy a bag of air and the company is nice enough to put some chips in it.

Caution: This machine has no brain, use your own
ReelNutts8~
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting