Gainesville area introduction/ invitation

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Gainesville area introduction/ invitation

Postby Johnyacht » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:57 pm

Hello from Gainesville. I have been reading and lurking for over a year and finally decided to say hello. Here is a brief introduction. I have been in Gainesville for 5 ish years. I moved here when I got out of the military. Im 29 years old and in a career. Last duck hunting season was my first year hunting and I have pretty much been teaching myself along the way. I have had much more failure than success but that's the way it goes I guess. I have learned from people at the ramps and conversation with people along the way. The more I talk about duck hunting, the more I learn that a lot of people do duck hunt or people have an interest in going. Last year I was able to take several people for their first time and we learned together. I did not do very well, but I learned a lot and had a lot of fun.

I was able to get a boat and set up a blind for this season, I was borrowing one last year. I did not grow up here so I don't have any connections to private land or any property so I only hunt public lakes so far. I try to stay within an hour or so of Gainesville. Last year I only hunted newnans and Sampson /Rowell. Again, I didn't have much luck but I enjoyed it. I enjoy sitting on the lake and hanging out in the boat and watching the wildlife. Even if I don't shoot anything or see any ducks, I enjoy being on the water.

My work schedule is a blessing and a pain at the same time. I can only hunt Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday. It is nice not having a crowd at the ramp but sucks finding people to go with. It changes in January and I go back to weekends off.

I did not post to ask for any advice, I'm fine with learning on my own the hard way. But if there are other duck hunters in the area or within an hour, I have no problems meeting up for a couple beers and talking ducks! I also don't mind taking someone out in the boat or going out on theirs. We can swap hunts or buddy boat. I'm sure there are some college guys that left their rigs at home and want to get out, I'm fine with that. I don't break the law so I ask that you have all of you paperwork in order.

I have seen several people post from the Gainesville area and hope we can meet up. Again I don't want your spots or your sacred information. People seem to take their secrets and spots a little too serious at times. I understand you dont want 50 people in your spot, but new people do want to learn too. I don't know a lot about this sport but I'm more than willing to share information with people who take it seriously.

Me being new, I do understand distance from others, not sky blasting and have no intention of ever blowing a duck call. I have common sense and a good head on my shoulders.

Maybe at some point during the season we can do a meet up at ale house or something and put some names to faces and swap war stories. Either message me or reply to the post if you want to meet up at some point.
Johnyacht
hunter

Re: Gainesville area introduction/ invitation

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:12 pm

Johnyacht wrote:Hello from Gainesville. I have been reading and lurking for over a year and finally decided to say hello. Here is a brief introduction. I have been in Gainesville for 5 ish years. I moved here when I got out of the military. Im 29 years old and in a career. Last duck hunting season was my first year hunting and I have pretty much been teaching myself along the way. I have had much more failure than success but that's the way it goes I guess. I have learned from people at the ramps and conversation with people along the way. The more I talk about duck hunting, the more I learn that a lot of people do duck hunt or people have an interest in going. Last year I was able to take several people for their first time and we learned together. I did not do very well, but I learned a lot and had a lot of fun.

I was able to get a boat and set up a blind for this season, I was borrowing one last year. I did not grow up here so I don't have any connections to private land or any property so I only hunt public lakes so far. I try to stay within an hour or so of Gainesville. Last year I only hunted newnans and Sampson /Rowell. Again, I didn't have much luck but I enjoyed it. I enjoy sitting on the lake and hanging out in the boat and watching the wildlife. Even if I don't shoot anything or see any ducks, I enjoy being on the water.

My work schedule is a blessing and a pain at the same time. I can only hunt Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday. It is nice not having a crowd at the ramp but sucks finding people to go with. It changes in January and I go back to weekends off.

I did not post to ask for any advice, I'm fine with learning on my own the hard way. But if there are other duck hunters in the area or within an hour, I have no problems meeting up for a couple beers and talking ducks! I also don't mind taking someone out in the boat or going out on theirs. We can swap hunts or buddy boat. I'm sure there are some college guys that left their rigs at home and want to get out, I'm fine with that. I don't break the law so I ask that you have all of you paperwork in order.

I have seen several people post from the Gainesville area and hope we can meet up. Again I don't want your spots or your sacred information. People seem to take their secrets and spots a little too serious at times. I understand you dont want 50 people in your spot, but new people do want to learn too. I don't know a lot about this sport but I'm more than willing to share information with people who take it seriously.

Me being new, I do understand distance from others, not sky blasting and have no intention of ever blowing a duck call. I have common sense and a good head on my shoulders.

Maybe at some point during the season we can do a meet up at ale house or something and put some names to faces and swap war stories. Either message me or reply to the post if you want to meet up at some point.

Good post and welcome :welcome: :beer: . Tons of hunters in your area.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Johnyacht » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:45 pm

Thank you!

I forgot to add that with my schedule today (Monday morning) was my opening day. Went with two buddies and we were able to swat 5 out of the sky. Had 2 separate groups of ducks decoy up today, green wings and ringers. Saw a lot of high fliers today, it was a good sight to seee for my opening day but they were flying north? Today was cold, 41* on the water and wind was blowing south hard.

I forgot to mention in my first post that I am also curious about hunting the rivers in the area either east or west, they are about the same distance for me. Also hunting cedar key or crystal river. I don't know anyone that hunts the area but I am curious about it if you have any advice or tips.
Johnyacht
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:25 pm

:welcome: from one of those college guys whose boats are back at home :fingerhead:
You pay for you!

Postby FSUDuck » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:14 pm

Great Introdction. Welcome and Good Luck. :beer:
FSUDuck
hunter

Postby Doodlejr. » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:15 pm

I'm a collge aged guy lol but I got a rig ready To go. I hunt Guana, the at John river, a couple of lakes in the southern clay county area, and Sampson/Rowell. I'd be done to hook up one morning I go down that way.
Doodlejr.
hunter

Postby Johnyacht » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:57 pm

Today's update. Went to a favorite lake and set out about 36 decorys and a mojo. Rain was expected and planned for. I had my gortex and waders. Sat and waited for the ducks to show, had a few high fliers and a few pairs of woodies fly by. Nothing close enough to shoot at. After getting soaked by the rain for a coupe of hours we decided call it quits by 9 am and went home with no shots fired. All of the ducks seemed to raft up in the middle of the lake.
Johnyacht
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:00 am

Johnyacht wrote:Today's update. Went to a favorite lake and set out about 36 decorys and a mojo. Rain was expected and planned for. I had my gortex and waders. Sat and waited for the ducks to show, had a few high fliers and a few pairs of woodies fly by. Nothing close enough to shoot at. After getting soaked by the rain for a coupe of hours we decided call it quits by 9 am and went home with no shots fired. All of the ducks seemed to raft up in the middle of the lake.

It appears you have realized not to go cheap on gear. You will be better off in the long run. Welcome!
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby FSUDuck » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:57 pm

Goretex is an awesome product. I have a goretex jacket. When its raining, the comfort is well worth the extra money.

Keep the reports coming.
FSUDuck
hunter

Postby Johnyacht » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:04 pm

Went out again this morning. It was a little chilly! Ended up with a blue bill drake and hen, they were flying late today.
Johnyacht
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting