Do you confront rude hunters?

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Do you confront rude hunters?

Postby chris_k » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:15 am

This morning we went to a good spot early enough that there was nobody there. I had several backup spots well away from this spot, in case anybody was within 300-400 yards of the spot. 45 minutes before shooting, 4 boats showed up and set up all around us. 2 of the boats within 100 yards from us.
One of the boats proceeded to skybust the crap out of the few birds that came in high. I have seen plenty of skybusting but never people trying to shoot birds 80+ yards up. It was so sad it was funny. They crippled at least 2 birds that I saw falling in the grass and shot at high birds 10+ times. They likely went home without a duck.

We left, and didn't stop to explain to them that what they were doing wrong.

Do you think these people don't care? Or are they just plain stupid?

It gives me a gut-wrenching feeling when I cripple ducks and don't find them. Am I the only one?

What have yall done differently?
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Re: Do you confront rude hunters?

Postby whaknstak » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:19 pm

You back in town? Thought I saw your truck at the ramp.

I havnt always confronted people set up too close, but I do now. Unfortunately most times its because they are a jack ass rather than ignorant. I give them the benefit of the doubt until I hear the first decoy splash. Ill then sometimes speak up while shining a q beam in their face (usually too close to yell) that they need to move. If that doesn't work, I crank up and pull up beside them to discuss why they are being so inconsiderate, and try to resolve the issue civilly.

People don't have any respect for other hunters. Its their spot. The fact you got their first means nothing. Had those boys lingered around another five min this morning we would have discussed why they set up on me so close.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby chris_k » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:09 pm

Yeah I'm here for the first split. Going home friday morning.

Sometimes I feel like confrontation is a lost cause.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:07 pm

I confront them.
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby sbr01 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:50 am

Might start confronting em after last Sunday. We set up Sunday A.M., to have a couple dudes set up about 175 yards from us. We shined em several times, but they were determined to use the spot. Our guess is that they left their palms there from opening day, and were lazy.....second group came out after legal shooting time and set up across the pond. They scared off one of the two only decent flocks that morning with their careless sky blasting. It was such a slow day, we just didn't care that much. Opening day we shot 5, so at least we did enjoy our duck dinner on opening day.
sbr01
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:26 pm

Nope, mention the problem decently. Wait for their response, go to plan B if it looks to be a bust.
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby sigalphjoe44 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:11 pm

:thumbsup: CONFRONT THE HELL OUT OF EM! The only way people learn is if you call them out. We had some butt darts pull up about 50 yards outside our decoys opening day at about 6:00AM, shooting light is 6:22 mind you :rolleyes: . I start off civilly, Q-Beam to the face..... no reaction, so I opt for gentle, "A little close."........ no reaction......less gentle :huh: , "a LITTLE CLOSE BOYS...".........decoys splashing,......... :mad: the LEAST gentle,"HEYYYYYY!!!! GET THE F--K OUTA HERE!!!!!!" ........their response (they speak after all...) "We're leaving! you cant shoot ducks in the dark anyways d-head!" .............................my response, "Shooting light is in 20 minutes....you got 10 to get THE F--K OUTA MY AO!!!!!"

Moral of the story: they left, we shot 24 ducks, only a few people are worthy of being blessed with the waterfowling disease.....most are not..........

But I could be wrong, I'm from the type A style of thinking
sigalphjoe44
hunter

Postby bbbb » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:35 pm

If they are truly so close they will mess up a hunt, we will go TALK to them. Start off by saying, "Your boat looked familiar, I thought were (Jeff, Jim, Jason.. ________)". "BTW, we should have a good shoot if we let the birds work and not shoot them until their feet are out". "That way you will get some good shots, and so will we". "Are you OK doing that?"

This will give you a good idea of what you are up against. If they say "No problem, we don't skybust", you just made new friends.

If they say, "Screw you, you're in the spot we wanted so we are going to mess up your hunt", then you either go back to your spot and watch them skybust, or you go to one of your other 6-7 spots and hope they get skunked.

90% of the time you are going to be met with friendly conversation.

Last year we were in a pond and another group came walking in and started cussing like sailors when they saw our lights already in place. Being 41 yrs old and doing this for a couple decades, I left my spot and went to talk with them. Come to find out they just walked 3 miles to get to this spot. The previous day they saw 75 birds in this 1 acre pond. I told them we would make room if everyone hunted 2 to a spot. Only had 10 birds come in that morning, but those guys left as "friends" and not the enemies they could have easily become.

SO I SAY "KILL THEM WITH KINDNESS" FIRST. IF THAT FAILS, FIND A PLAN B.
bbbb
hunter

Postby JuneBug » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:38 pm

bbbb wrote:If they are truly so close they will mess up a hunt, we will go TALK to them. Start off by saying, "Your boat looked familiar, I thought were (Jeff, Jim, Jason.. ________)". "BTW, we should have a good shoot if we let the birds work and not shoot them until their feet are out". "That way you will get some good shots, and so will we". "Are you OK doing that?"

This will give you a good idea of what you are up against. If they say "No problem, we don't skybust", you just made new friends.

If they say, "Screw you, you're in the spot we wanted so we are going to mess up your hunt", then you either go back to your spot and watch them skybust, or you go to one of your other 6-7 spots and hope they get skunked.

90% of the time you are going to be met with friendly conversation.

Last year we were in a pond and another group came walking in and started cussing like sailors when they saw our lights already in place. Being 41 yrs old and doing this for a couple decades, I left my spot and went to talk with them. Come to find out they just walked 3 miles to get to this spot. The previous day they saw 75 birds in this 1 acre pond. I told them we would make room if everyone hunted 2 to a spot. Only had 10 birds come in that morning, but those guys left as "friends" and not the enemies they could have easily become.

SO I SAY "KILL THEM WITH KINDNESS" FIRST. IF THAT FAILS, FIND A PLAN B.

Agreed! :thumbsup:
JuneBug
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:55 pm

i was with chris this day and it is truely unbelieveable at the things I heard and seen this year so far. I wish there was a way to let these guys know that the birds they are shooting at a mile high is useless. but i dont know if they even care to be honest. what coulda happened this day along with the opening weekend is if everybody that hunted would wait until the birds put their feet down then everyone coulda had a decent morning. I would be embarrassed to be doing what some of these fellas are doing out there. it shows that they are inexperienced hunters and are disrespectful. We try to explain to other hunters when we meet in a nice way to let the birds work.Somebody has to do the right thing out there...I dont know if some of those guys are on DHC or not but i hope that if they are they will take some of what we are saying into consideration
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:09 pm

SouthernWingsAssaultTeam wrote:i was with chris this day and it is truely unbelieveable at the things I heard and seen this year so far. I wish there was a way to let these guys know that the birds they are shooting at a mile high is useless. but i dont know if they even care to be honest. what coulda happened this day along with the opening weekend is if everybody that hunted would wait until the birds put their feet down then everyone coulda had a decent morning. I would be embarrassed to be doing what some of these fellas are doing out there. it shows that they are inexperienced hunters and are disrespectful. We try to explain to other hunters when we meet in a nice way to let the birds work.Somebody has to do the right thing out there...I dont know if some of those guys are on DHC or not but i hope that if they are they will take some of what we are saying into consideration

Probably not in all cases, but I think its a safe assumption that most...here on these kind of forums (uwf, etc) have the right idea, ethics, etc.

The people we all experience and witnessed doing these "actions", are probably the "seqsonal" hunter. What I mean by that is, hear itz see it, talk it, where ever and how ever they got the idea to go try duck hunting. The very few people I see that dont let birds work, and throw a circus of decoy species out. I usually never ever see again... Just my experience. The guys I do see through out the season are the ones that either beat me to my spot or vice versa, and we give each other room respectfully. Theres a specific guy I hunt the same general area with, I got his cell number this year and give him a heads up when I've made it to the spot we both hunt at. He does the same if he makes it first. Its cordial without any argument or butt hurt. To me, that's what duck hunting is about.
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting