Building an Impoundment???

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Building an Impoundment???

Postby cpoplayer » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:50 pm

I posted this up in the Honey Hole but I would like some input from the Florida guys. Thanks!

I live in Northwest Florida about an hour west of Tallahassee. I have just acquired 10 acres of property. It is about 6 miles (as the coot flies) from Lake Seminole and less than a mile from 2 other large ponds that hold lots of ducks but, like Seminole are covered up with tons of inconsiderate hunters. To be honest, most times I really don't feel that safe taking my 7 year old son with me on these public lands.

On the property I have, I have the ability to fairly easily and inexpensively create a small impoundment of about 1/4 acre and flood it via a catfish pond. So I have a few questions:

1. Would an impoundment this small even be worth the trouble?
2. What should I plant for maximum drawing power?
3. Should I put out a few decoys and leave the ducks to notice the area (most of the ducks we shoot around here are teal, ringnecks, and woodies)?

I could also set up an impoundment that could flood a couple acres of bottom that has several large oak trees but that would take more work and more cash but if the small one works out, I might be willing to try it.

Thanks for the help!
cpoplayer
hunter

Re: Building an Impoundment???

Postby FSUDuck » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:23 pm

Its going to be more expensive than you think and is going to require a ton of work, but could be a great future investment for you and your son. I think the size is absolutly fine. I have hunted out smaller ponds and ditches that have produced very well.
I would not leave decoys out there overnight. Everything I have read says to avoid doing such a thing.

I would also plan on not hunting it too much during the first couple seasons.

Keep us updated. Good Luck.
FSUDuck
hunter

Postby cpoplayer » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:35 pm

Thanks for the input. It already has a berm on one side and partial berm on 2 of the other sides. I figure I can rent one of those small "bobcat" sized backhos for a weekend and finish it off. As for flooding it, I will have to buy a gas powered pump and 2 20' joints of PVC pipe. It is mostly flooded right now from all the rain Tuesday so I thought about putting out some shelled corn to start them coming this year and maybe have some imprint on the spot for next year.
cpoplayer
hunter

Postby cpoplayer » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:06 pm

The area where I was planning on building the impoundment has been flooded for over a week so I tossed out some corn today just to see if any ducks would find it. The area gets a good but of traffic from high flyers so we will see.
cpoplayer
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:17 pm

I live in the same area as you and completely agree with the statement on Seminole it has gotten way outta hand. But I have a small amount of knowledge about habitat and duck management. Depending on where your land is will make a difference in wether it produces great yields or not so much. Being that it is fairly close to Seminole is a great thing. Have you seen many ducks in the specific area your gonna have your impoundment and how close are you the river? Short explanation in my opinion ducks follow landmarks such as rivers and the closer the better... The further you are from these things in my opinion is gonna determine how well you do with a small area. It doesn't nessasarly mean it isn't gonna produce though. Also just incase your not familar , you would only be able to hunt the flooded area maybe a month or two. Reason being is because what ever food source you plant is gonna eventually go bad after a decent amount of time flooded. Around here I think your gonna do better planting rice , soybeans , peanuts or some sort of smartweed of moist soil habitat. The bigger area you have the better the migrators or gonna be able to see it. The thing about leaving the decoys out in my opinion is probably not gonna help you that much more. If they are gonna use then they will but I think that may hurt you when you try to hunt it. Good luck and hope it all works out for you. It wouldn't be a waste of time and I'm sure it would be well worth it if done right for this area. There are a lot of people with a lot more.knowledge than me that you could search for and they could help you out too.
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby cpoplayer » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:39 pm

Yeah I figured I wouldn't flood it til around Christmas. It gets a fair amount of duck traffic. It less than a mile from Ocheessee and has a pretty good pond about a quarter mile away that I know holds some ducks cause I can hear them getting shot later in the season. Like I said, I put out some corn yesterday and am gonna keep a good check on it. If some ducks show up this year ton the corn I think I will go ahead with the impoundment. If not I won't be out anything. Leaving Sunday for Arkansas so I'll check in the corn when I get back.
cpoplayer
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting