MERRIT ISLAND

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

MERRIT ISLAND

Postby carlosburitica » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:44 pm

hi guys, new to the site.
i live in south florida and like most know we have the 5 sta's for hunting. benn hunting the stas for few years already and parts of the Everglades.

I recently got a quota for MERRIT island. don't know the place, don't have time to scout, plus don't expect to cyberscout the place or ask for the best place to set my spread
basically need some tips, what to avoid, i am a solo hunter, been hunting alone for years and have to take extra precautions, like good places to drop my canoe. (don't have a motor), what are the water levels??? safe for dog??? (i take my dog only at the end of the season here in south fl to avoid gators)

i got a quota for siloh2, it looks from the air like a big area. i will be getting there at dark and unfortunately wont have an extra day to get the day before and look for a good spot.

so any tip of info is appreciated,
thanks guys for the help.
carlosburitica
hunter

Re: MERRIT ISLAND

Postby FSUDuck » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:38 pm

If you dont have time to scout, why would you put in for a quota? Scouting is as important as the hunt itself... maybe more. Take off work and put in some hours scouting.
FSUDuck
hunter

Postby carlosburitica » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:27 pm

mora than info where the ducks are I what to know how the area it where to drop the canoe. stuff like that. I won't have a problem looking for the ducks and hopely they will come to my spread

is there a way to get a map of siloh2. to have a idea. other than google earth???
carlosburitica
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:33 pm

carlosburitica wrote:mora than info where the ducks are I what to know how the area it where to drop the canoe. stuff like that. I won't have a problem looking for the ducks and hopely they will come to my spread

is there a way to get a map of siloh2. to have a idea. other than google earth???

Check the merritt island brochure on fwc page or USFG website
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:57 pm

FSUDuck wrote:If you dont have time to scout, why would you put in for a quota? Scouting is as important as the hunt itself... maybe more. Take off work and put in some hours scouting.

I put in for new qoutas every year to places Ive never been, I don't get the luxury to scout some of them due to my job. I still hunt them and learn each and every time I go. :huh:
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:11 am

jakefromflorida wrote:
FSUDuck wrote:If you dont have time to scout, why would you put in for a quota? Scouting is as important as the hunt itself... maybe more. Take off work and put in some hours scouting.

I put in for new qoutas every year to places Ive never been, I don't get the luxury to scout some of them due to my job. I still hunt them and learn each and every time I go. :huh:

Sometimes your first trip doubles as your scouting trip. Just the way it plays out when time/money are tight. I have done it with success, and other times with miserable failure. Never know til you go. You always learn something regardless.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby boatguy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:08 am

Sorry I would have helped,,, but just now reading this post. I too got a opening day quota,,, I put in for M pound... did pretty good. The teal are here this year,,, unlike last... So how'd you do?
Lead, Follow, Or Get The Hell Out Of The Way!!!!
boatguy
Newb

Return to Florida Duck Hunting