Diver Spread

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Diver Spread

Postby JuneBug » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:10 pm

Came across this the other day. I'm curious if anyone else has ever tried to do something similar to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ijagCezYok
JuneBug
hunter

Re: Diver Spread

Postby FlaWoodie » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Anythings worth a shot :thumbsup:
You pay for you!

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:36 am

I use a system similar to this a lot.

Sent from my iPhone3 using Anti-Botiz software.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:11 am

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Try it and find out for yourself and post up how you do with it
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby marshnole11 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:33 am

Yes..... not as far apart and as far out as they described but exactly the same otherwise.

Also have used a giant double hollow circle of diver decoys with great results. it makes an illusion of one giant raft to low flying birds
marshnole11
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:40 am

marshnole11 wrote:Yes..... not as far apart and as far out as they described but exactly the same otherwise.

Also have used a giant double hollow circle of diver decoys with great results. it makes an illusion of one giant raft to low flying birds

Can you elaborate? Two hollow circles side by side? Or inside each other?
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby JuneBug » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:36 am

whaknstak wrote:Don't see why it wouldn't work. Try it and find out for yourself and post up how you do with it

Planning on trying it this weekend :thumbsup: . I'm always looking for different ways to set up my spread. It's always easy to set them up different if that doesn't work.
JuneBug
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:40 am

I use this exact spread about 70% of the time when I'm hunting divers. Except I use all ringnecks and send a line straight out as well. That way if there's ducks skirting the outside it will usually turn them in toward the spread and provide a guide for ducks coming straight at the point
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby marshnole11 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:59 am

whaknstak wrote:
marshnole11 wrote:Yes..... not as far apart and as far out as they described but exactly the same otherwise.

Can you elaborate? Two hollow circles side by side? Or inside each other?

Circle inside another circle. make sure the decoys on the outside circle are in the gaps between the decoys in the inner circle, there can even be more than two circles if you want. if you get what I mean.

When divers feed they bunch up real tight. from low and far away it looks like a giant solid raft of divers. I have had a group of a thousand scaup land right on top of this set up on the banana river. the point is to leave the hole big enough for birds to land in and make your spread look 10 times bigger than it is from far away
marshnole11
hunter

Postby FlaWoodie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:55 pm

Sounds like a good combo, circle inside of a circle with a couple long long lines out to the left and right and maybe one straight out could be a killer setup.....
You pay for you!

Postby JuneBug » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:48 pm

quackhunter99 wrote:I use this exact spread about 70% of the time when I'm hunting divers. Except I use all ringnecks and send a line straight out as well. That way if there's ducks skirting the outside it will usually turn them in toward the spread and provide a guide for ducks coming straight at the point

That's a good point about sending a line straight out!
JuneBug
hunter

Postby NORTHFLORIDAFOWLER » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:04 pm

atleast hes got the right motor on the boat in the video :biggrin:
36 Prodrive FPR chasing a 1654 express
NORTHFLORIDAFOWLER
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:54 pm

I've thrown out something similar in the past and killed ducks, but I don't think spread patterns are nearly as important as some folks make them out to be. One morning I listened to a group of guys jumping down each other's throats to the point I thought a fight was going to break out, all because one of them was "F-ing up" their J hook and spacing decoys too closely together. I've killed ducks over decoys thrown in a J, U, circle, square, bunched tight, spaced far apart, you name it...try to get on the X, try to look as realistic as possible, and if those two aren't an option, draw them in with numbers.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:18 pm

Man you guys have a science to this stuff.

I never put that much thought into throwing blocks out, probably why I don't kill a lot of ducks! Lol
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:48 am

jakefromflorida wrote:Man you guys have a science to this stuff.

I never put that much thought into throwing blocks out, probably why I don't kill a lot of ducks! Lol

Your not killing more drake mallards than you shoot at so you obviously don't know what your doing.

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:28 am

whaknstak wrote:
jakefromflorida wrote:Man you guys have a science to this stuff.

Your not killing more drake mallards than you shoot at so you obviously don't know what your doing.

Lol, thanks
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby cpoplayer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:35 pm

I have used a setup similar to this on big water. I use my biggest, brightest decoys on the "wings" (drake pintails, Bluebills and magnum ringnecks). Seems to work like he says...especially with buffleheads. They hit that line of dekes and turn and follow them right in. Only problem is some ducks wanna stop at the first decoy and set down.
cpoplayer
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting