Tampa Bay

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Tampa Bay

Postby recker » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:28 am

I am probably going to take a new job in St. Petersburg within the next month and was wondering about the duck hunting in the area. I have read that Tampa Bay has some good diver hunting as well as some public areas east or Orlando. I have hunted in southern Texas the last few years so some of it sounds kind of similiar. I would appreciate any info on where to get started.I do have a boat but will probably sell it before I leave so I may need to by a new one if needed.

If you go the the Minnesota board about 3/4ths down you will see Texas trip and see some nice pics with Pintails I shot with my dad in January. That was a blast.

recker222@yahoo.com
recker
hunter

Postby snipeshooter » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:36 am

I can't say from experience but there is some diver hunting on the bay but there are a lot of areas that can not be hunted from what I have read. I am a little north of Orlando and we have decent hunting up here. There is some good freshwater hunting if you can travel south east from Tampa over towards Lake Ok. I would keep my boat, you are going to need it.

You might want to try posting over at unitedwaterfowlersfl.org there are some members from that area on that site.

Be prepared for hunting in hot weather with lots of bugs and gators it is plenty warm when the season starts here.
snipeshooter
hunter

Postby DUCKWHACKER » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:54 pm

Yes there are divers available in the Bay. Last year was terrible though as the bluebills that are usually around for the opener were pretty much non-existant. I have seen or taken bluebill,redhead,canvasback,goldeneye,teal,mottleds,widgeon and pintail.
After the very slow start, we headed inland to the lakes and enjoyed a great season. I too live in St Pete. :welcome:
Regional Director United Waterfowlers of Florida

Member of the Bay Area Quack Ho's
DUCKWHACKER
hunter

Postby kg4yus » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:14 pm

Duckwhacker has you covered on the bay, east of Orlando is the large expanse of the Upper St Johns River Marsh. A little further east is one of the premier waterfowl spots in the state Merritt Island National Wildlife refuge. There are plenty of opportunities within an hour or two drive for you.

If you make it here, have an early "Welcome to Florida" on me. :welcome:
Mossy Oak-Waterfowl Prostaff
Buck Gardner-Field Staff
Vice Chair- CFL Delta Waterfowl
Regional Director United Waterfowlers
FFWCC Hunter Safety Area Coordinator
kg4yus
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting